My 80 Gallon Shallow Reef

Agraves77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everyone is doing well. This will be my first tank "journal" if you will. Lets get straight into it.

Purpose:
First thing I want to touch on is the vision I have for it. I am gonna be attempting a mixed reef. It could end up becoming a SPS dominated reef at some point. I want to have a pretty good amount of fish and some more of the higher end pieces of coral.

About Me:
I have been in this hobby now for a little over 3 years. I have had 3 different saltwater aquariums already. The previous tanks were a 65 Gallon, 30L by innovative marine, and a 27 gallon marineland cube.

Tang Police:
I want to go ahead and address this as I am sure there will be multiple people who have issues with my fish list. I plan on keeping 4 tangs in my aquarium. (You can find the dimensions in the Equipment area of this thread). They are as follows:
- Blue Hippo Tang
- Tomini Tang
- Purple Tang
- White Cheek Tang

I am very aware that the blue hippo is going to outgrow this tank. Here is the plan for this tiny guy. At the moment he is about the size of a half dollar. He has more than enough room and will have some for a little bit.

I will be moving homes in approximately one year. When it comes time to break down the tank, if he is too big he will be rehoused.

As far as the other three tangs, I know the Tomini will be fine in this tank for its entirety.

The Purple and White Cheek Tang will stay with me more than likely there entire life. I understand they will both get fairly good size. However, I believe they will be happy in the environment I have created.

***************** Understand that I am not in this hobby to have as many fish as possible in a tank with no thought what so ever. If i notice any of the tangs showing signs of stress due to environment I will tear the entire tank down to ensure they live an appropriate life.***********************

With that being said, I am going to be purchasing these individuals as juveniles, all will be quarantined and appropriately taken care of.

Lets start the fun stuff.

Equipment:

Tank:
- Dimensions 48"x24"x17" (LxWxH)
- It is a deep blue 80 gallon rimless. I however, bought mine used. Love it so far!

Gear:
- 2016 Apex (My first one)
- Kessil H380
- Bashea Reactor (I can get the model if you guys are interested)
- SimplicityDC Return Pump (2100 Model)
- 3x Radion XR15W Pros. (With Diffusers)
- I am using the Multi Light RMS kit from brs to hang them.
- I have 2x 15ow Eheim Jager Heaters
- ATK for auto top off
- Maxspect Gyre 230 (Only 1 at the moment)
- 150GPD RODI Unit from BRS
- Booster Pump from BRS
- 2x 30 Gallon brute trash cans for fresh and saltwater storage

**** I believe thats it, but i could leave something out by accident.****

Quarantining:
-
I kept my 30L from my last setup so I am currently using that as my quarantine tank.
- I am quarantining everything. I will be treating ich and marine velvet with cupramine.
- I will monitor the fish for 4 weeks (With the exception of tangs). If they do not show any symptoms then they will move to the display.
- Tangs will be quarantined for a minimum of 6 weeks. I am still debating but I might just introduce copper once they have settled in. Just to be safe.

I will gather my thoughts and put up a fish list and maybe a coral list in a couple of days. Let me know if anyone has questions.

Thanks for reading,
Austin

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your build and dream. You sound like you know what you want and what is good for the fish. Always nice to hear that you will continue to monitor the fishes welfare. Look forward to seeing some pictures of this new system.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 136 76.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back