My 90 Gallon Reef Build

MantisShrimpDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm creating this thread for documentation of progress of my new 90 gallon build. I've kept aquariums since I was five years old and got into saltwater when I was 17. After moving away from home I got out of the hobby for quite a few years and always missed it terribly. So 3 years ago I got back into marine aquariums and it amazed me how much the hobby has changed for the better!

When I decided to do this build I had it in my head that I was going to do it right this time and spend the time and money putting it together with a successful reef tank in mind. This is my first sump and even though I was somewhat restricted on the size based on the room in my cabinet, I still managed to get a sump that is rated for tanks up to 110 gallons. I also wanted to try out LED lighting, but I wanted it to have programmable channels and different options. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the equipment I chose, a few pieces I will be upgrading as I can afford it.

I think that is one of the things I love about being a reefer - constantly researching and learning new things and changing equipment for a better system. :rockon:

When I acquired this free 90 gallon tank stand and canopy, it looked like this. I could tell by the different levels of receding algae lines that the previous owner let it sit with no movement and no maintenance lol. It actually took a few days to get the glass clean.
IMG_20140526_132027.jpg

20140418_222404.jpg

20140418_222117.jpg

After the binning of the elbow grease phase I got it sanded and painted for the look and color I wanted.:whoo:
20140513_161742-picsay.jpg

Attachments

• 20140806_071136-picsay.jpg
    20140806_071136-picsay.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
MantisShrimpDude

MantisShrimpDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a DIY project kind of reefer as long as it comes out looking clean, professional, and functional. I completed these 1/4" mesh black polyprobaline lids. They were easy to put together and came out really good looking. I used Jim's thread as a guideline for my project Captive Reefs
20140805_191620-picsay.jpg

This is my finished sump as it is now. I ran into a few problems, more like things that needed tweaking, and got it all worked out with the help of a couple fellow reefing bros Jim and Andy!
20140820_125508_Richtone(HDR)-picsay.jpg

Here are a few pics of where I'm at now. Just stocking as funds permit.
20140806_071136-picsay.jpg

20140820_134811-picsay.jpg

20140820_134849-picsay.jpg

OP
OP
MantisShrimpDude

MantisShrimpDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Is that the Photon 48?
I was considering the Photon 48", but after comparing it with the OR IT2080 - 32", I decided to go with the OR IT2080. I was about $150 less and uses the same components with 90 degree optics so I can achieve the same coverage as the 48" by slightly adjusting the height of the fixture from the top of tank. I figured I'd try this one out, then later on switch it to my 65 gallon and get the Photon for the 90 gallon.

OP
OP
MantisShrimpDude

MantisShrimpDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Is that the Photon 48?
<br>I was considering the Photon 48", but after comparing it with the OR IT2080 - 32", I decided to go with the OR IT2080. &nbsp;I was about $150 less and uses the same components with 90 degree optics so I can achieve the same coverage as the 48" by slightly adjusting the height of the fixture from the top of tank. &nbsp;I figured I'd try this one out, then later on switch it to my 65 gallon and get the Photon for the 90 gallon. &nbsp;

OP
OP
MantisShrimpDude

MantisShrimpDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Cardinal
I Pink Firefish
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Black urchin
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Bloodred Shrimp
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Emerald Green Crab
2 Sand Sifting Starfish
4 Turbo Snails
Several Baby Fighting Conch
Several tiny Blue legged hermit Crabs

20140624_203901-picsay.jpg

20140815_172357-1.jpg

20140628_131438_Richtone(HDR)-picsay.jpg

20140806_071659_7_bestshot-picsay.jpg

20140625_174734_Richtone(HDR).jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank and everything looks great! you did a wonderful job on cleaning it up and refinishing the stand

OP
OP
MantisShrimpDude

MantisShrimpDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm updating my thread to show the upgrades that I've made and to document progression.

I've upgraded the following:

Swapped out the Coralife Super Skimmer 125 for a brand spankin' new Skimz Monzter series SM163. I'm very happy with the new skimmer! It's so easily controlled and tuned, pulls tons of skimmate (dry or wet), breaks down easily for cleaning, doesn't put micro bubbles in my DT, is super quiet, and overall just kicks butt!

I removed the 2 Hydor Koralia 1050 evolution powerheads (now using them in my Brute pre mixing can) and replaced them with 2 vortech MP40 Quietdrives connected to a Apex WXM Module. I can't believe what a huge difference the vortech pumps make! My DT is much cleaner and the sick and corals love it! It's a huge difference overall and I believe it to be a great investment and having more than enough flow solves many issues.

I upgraded my return pump to the Jebao DC6000. It's nice to have 6 preset buttons for variable speed, feed timer, and ramp up on restarts. However, I've got my eye on the new vortech L1 return pump. Imagine all the water i could get on the floor with the new L1 and my 2 mp40s all running together lol!

I've added another BRS deluxe reactor. Now I'm using one for .08 ROX Carbon and one for High Capacity GFO. No more mixing half and half. Being able to use a little more of each media makes a lot of difference.

Added a 5 gallon acrylic reservoir, with a float switch for low water level alerts, wired to a Apex Breakout Box. I also decided trips to the lfs with buckets are exhausting, so I got a BRS 6 stage RO/DI. Now, I'm sure of my water quality and TDS level!

I used some extra space in the basement to setup a premix salt water container (20 gallon Brute trash can) so that I can prepare for water changes and to ensure water is the correct sg and temp. I found that by setting this up, I have more time to ensure my water is at the exact parameters I am shooting for and I now perform WCs on time on a regular basis.

I haven't really gone crazy stocking the reef yet, just a few corals and critters very slowly. I'm planning to re aquascape the tank very soon with Pukani and Tonga Shelf Dry Live Rock. But, I plan to cure it, design the aquascape, and seed it before changing it out, so that will take a few months I'm sure. One thing that I have learned for sure in this hobby is "Have patience, nothing happens quickly in a reef."

OP
OP
MantisShrimpDude

MantisShrimpDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm updating my thread to show the upgrades that I've made and to document progression.

I've upgraded the following:

Swapped out the Coralife Super Skimmer 125 for a brand spankin' new Skimz Monzter series SM163. I'm very happy with the new skimmer! It's so easily controlled and tuned, pulls tons of skimmate (dry or wet), breaks down easily for cleaning, doesn't put micro bubbles in my DT, is super quiet, and overall just kicks butt!

I removed the 2 Hydor Koralia 1050 evolution powerheads (now using them in my Brute pre mixing can) and replaced them with 2 vortech MP40 Quietdrives connected to a Apex WXM Module. I can't believe what a huge difference the vortech pumps make! My DT is much cleaner and the sick and corals love it! It's a huge difference overall and I believe it to be a great investment and having more than enough flow solves many issues.

I upgraded my return pump to the Jebao DC6000. It's nice to have 6 preset buttons for variable speed, feed timer, and ramp up on restarts. However, I've got my eye on the new vortech L1 return pump. Imagine all the water i could get on the floor with the new L1 and my 2 mp40s all running together lol!

I've added another BRS deluxe reactor. Now I'm using one for .08 ROX Carbon and one for High Capacity GFO. No more mixing half and half. Being able to use a little more of each media makes a lot of difference.

Added a 5 gallon acrylic reservoir, with a float switch for low water level alerts, wired to a Apex Breakout Box. I also decided trips to the lfs with buckets are exhausting, so I got a BRS 6 stage RO/DI. Now, I'm sure of my water quality and TDS level!

I used some extra space in the basement to setup a premix salt water container (20 gallon Brute trash can) so that I can prepare for water changes and to ensure water is the correct sg and temp. I found that by setting this up, I have more time to ensure my water is at the exact parameters I am shooting for and I now perform WCs on time on a regular basis.

I haven't really gone crazy stocking the reef yet, just a few corals and critters very slowly. I'm planning to re aquascape the tank very soon with Pukani and Tonga Shelf Dry Live Rock. But, I plan to cure it, design the aquascape, and seed it before changing it out, so that will take a few months I'm sure. One thing that I have learned for sure in this hobby is "Have patience, nothing happens quickly in a reef."

Thread Update
After doing some research, I think the next piece of equipment I'm going to invest in is the "Vertex Vectra" auto neck cleaner for my skimmer. Besides the fact that it'll save me a little time with cup cleaning duty, it just looks awesome lol! I lose a lot of time in nutrient export because I'm constantly worried that I'm not at maximum efficiency, so i clean the cup neck, and have to wait for that thin layer to build back up.... I'm not even sure where I lose more time now that I think about it. By having to much sludge in the neck and not creating enough skimmate, by cleaning it out and waiting for the layer to build back up, or wondering about it lol. I'll plug that vertex right into my Apex and Fuhgetaboudit!

Oh, one more thing I'll need to do is connect a drain line to the skimmer cup outlet and plug it into a "Davey Jones Skimmate Locker!" Is there a thread for what type of fittings are best to use for a collection cup drain line? I'd like to use some "Quest" or "quick push connect" fittings.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back