Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rakie! And thanks for stopping by.. I’m terrible at keeping up with build threads and for some reason I don’t always get alerts for ones I have watched. I’m getting a little ahead of myself with this tank, I have so much yet to do and don’t even know what the final placement will be on many of the frags that I have purchased, many of them on just a whim;)
Honestly same here. Once you start getting a lot of alerts some randomly disappear. Happens to me all the time, usually I have to check up via signature build thread links lol

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that echinata has a healthy amount of space between him and... everything you want to survive lol

I have had it for a long time and haven’t had any problems or witnessed sweepers at night but I have heard they can be aggressive.. I’ll move it to a safe location, thanks for the reminder.

I guess it’s a echinata? if I remember correctly that’s what it was sold as.. it’s kinda angry in this pic from the move;)

C856A980-6F31-40F7-89D9-87F1625695D9.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I got came from a reefer that was about to throw it away. Ended up destroying everything in a 5-6" radius around the coral lol! So yeah, they might be a bit devilish.

lol.. I'm going to move it now :) Had a tiny little war coral the size of a pea that came in as a hitchhiker, that sucker would send out 10” long stingers at night.. I was generous and gave it away :D

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.. I'm going to move it now :) Had a tiny little war coral the size of a pea that came in as a hitchhiker, that sucker would send out 10” long stingers at night.. I was generous and gave it away :D

I would like to say I was generous when I saved the Echi, but it's red, green, yellow, orange, and blue... Def nice enough to keep, so it was more selfish I guess haha!

But yours looks good. Not bad pictures either, it's so hard to get a good clear pic that isn't so heavily blue or fake looking.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything with a calcium skeleton came out of my Biocube today and I’m moving all my softies into it.. there will be hairy shrooms, Kenya trees, leathers, palys and pulsating Xenia's, the tank will go from a low maintenance to little or no maintenance ;)

Blank slate..

B7252338-5A0D-4928-AB74-68549177C156.jpeg

I can't wait to see this! :)

I have 2 echinatas and never had a problem also. ;)

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see this! :)

I have 2 echinatas and never had a problem also. ;)

It was really hard to strip that tank down to nothing :( it has been the easiest tank to maintain that I’ve ever owned, it never had a ugly stage at all or really any kind of algae just a little cyano periodically on the sand bed.. my clam and trumpet colony where getting a little to big and the tank is ready for a lighting upgrade to replace the tired 3 year old LED’s but I really don’t want to spend the money so I’m thinking’s a bunch of low light, low maintenance leather corals should keep me happy:)

8BCE3668-9AAE-4394-8258-5E7B1A1DC22B.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleasant surprise from one of my old frags I just moved!! I had purchased a little fingernail size rock with a few Zoa’s on it from my LFS a few years ago and there was a small hitchhiker favia on it.

9A4C2E60-4015-435D-A311-98ADC9C2C847.png

Over time I thought the Zoa’s had completely melted and the favia had also overgrew the rock apparently smothering any remnants.. I was wrong! Today I noticed some bright orange Zoa’s peaking out from around the favia’s rim :D The favia has been a slow grower but has went from solid green to green with orange stripes and now it’s turning red with green centers. approximately 3 years growth

6A4A37F6-343C-4520-BC85-3DA8D30AEBF7.jpeg

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my pink Goni yesterday, although it was growing ok it never seemed all that happy in its original position I think it was the flow.. seems to be inflating more in its new spot :)

BB8488C3-4596-460C-8451-7820300384DE.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving day :D Finally got the nerve up to transfer my clam into the new tank.. I have had him for a few years and has grown to current size from around 2”.

D82885EF-1328-46A7-8FBC-CCB1528E9DEB.png
;Drool

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That piece is stunning. Nice growth pictures for both corals.

Thanks man.. Gonioporas are some of my absolute favorite corals but I never had any luck with them, the fact that the ones I have are actually growing gives me renewed hope ;) The green one has a aggressive feeding response and I can see it grabbing food but the pink one doesn’t seem to like being fed and will completely retract if I dust it with Reef Roids? Despite that the pink is growing twice as fast as the green.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man.. Gonioporas are some of my absolute favorite corals but I never had any luck with them, the fact that the ones I have are actually growing gives me renewed hope ;) The green one has a aggressive feeding response and I can see it grabbing food but the pink one doesn’t seem to like being fed and will completely retract if I dust it with Reef Roids? Despite that the pink is growing twice as fast as the green.

Maybe stop feeding the green then!

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe stop feeding the green then!

IMO feeding is the key to long term survival of goni’s, initially I was concerned the pink doesn’t seem to want to eat but now that I can clearly see it’s getting bigger I’m not so worried.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO feeding is the key to long term survival of goni’s, initially I was concerned the pink doesn’t seem to want to eat but now that I can clearly see it’s getting bigger I’m not so worried.

My algae overran my pink goni. I miss it more after seeing how well urs is doing. Tough coral to keep happy. Well done.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back