OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was set up for 13 years, the only test kit I owned was for ammonia.. lol

BED4FB91-6D2F-487D-98BA-EA849D05233F.png

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinosaur skimmer! That's so badrump!

are you insinuating I’m a Dinosaur ;Hilarious There are actually 3 skimmers in that picture, the tall one on the far right was a commercial unit that I used as a reaction chamber for my ozone it didn’t actually collect skimmate, If you look closely you can see the riser tube extending up out of the top of the collection cup which led to a carbon scrubber. The short one in the foreground and another behind the tall one where home brewed Venturi skimmers that I was testing at the time.. skimmers where hard to find back then, no internet or other sources for equipment so if your LFS didn’t have it you where Poo out of luck ;)

for me the Tunze was just about the only hobby grade skimmer available in the mid 80’s, my LFS carried them and they where very expensive.

*not mine but this I believe was the first model Tunze
1EFE103B-C7FB-4A5B-9C9B-7E5D40458F54.jpeg

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you insinuating I’m a Dinosaur ;Hilarious There are actually 3 skimmers in that picture, the tall one on the far right was a commercial unit that I used as a reaction chamber for my ozone it didn’t actually collect skimmate, If you look closely you can see the riser tube extending up out of the top of the collection cup which led to a carbon scrubber. The short one in the foreground and another behind the tall one where home brewed Venturi skimmers that I was testing at the time.. skimmers where hard to find back then, no internet or other sources for equipment so if your LFS didn’t have it you where Poo out of luck ;)

for the most part Tunze was the only hobby grade skimmer available in the mid 80’s, my LFS carried them and they where very expensive.

1EFE103B-C7FB-4A5B-9C9B-7E5D40458F54.jpeg
I prefer the term, O.G. ;)

Love seeing the intuition of reefing in the golden era. Dinosaur era, whatever :D

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an impressive tank you had way back

thank you :) wish I still had the rock from that tank, it was amazing stuff from Hawaii before the ban’s.. I went with the owner of my LFS at the time to pick it up from the airport, we where giddy as two 5 year olds on Christmas Eve;) I still remember opening the boxes and being completely dumbfounded at the colors, shapes and amount of life on every piece. He basically gave me first dibs on like 60 lbs of it because we used my truck to haul it and I helped him load, unload and unpack everything back at his shop.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was 10 my parents took me to Hawaii and the other islands for 2 weeks. I insisted my parents let me bring home a basketball size dry rock. After having a bratty 10 year old attitude they let me on the plane with it. 11 years ago my parents moved to Florida and ask if I wanted it and I said no.
Wish I still had it now that I have a reef tank. It had so many big holes and had a very interesting look.

Love the boneyard.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool. I love seeing all the crazy things we come up with to reef. Have you seen the ghetto rig thread on RC? It is one of my favorite threads of all time. I wish I had pictures of my old tanks. I must have taken some, but my kids killed our computer and back up hard drive at the same day and gazillions of pictures were lost.
I also love seeing all the ways people camp to ride ATVS in Wayne National Forest. It has got to be pretty rain resistant. They stay in work vehicles, tents on trailers, sleep under truck bed covers, pop ups welded to trailers. So much fun to see.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Bone Yard!! I was going to give away my skels at Richapalooza to attendees. But I forgot to.

Sobriety was to blame, and great people. Which is also how I ended up turning the sirloin tips into hockey pucks. :D

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the ghetto rig thread on RC?

I think I’m semi insulted ;)

I wish I had pictures of my old tanks. I must have taken some, but my kids killed our computer and back up hard drive at the same day and gazillions of pictures were lost.

did the same thing, one of our first PC’s started acting up and lets just say I finished it off with my attempts to fix it.. we lost hundreds of digital family pictures from late 90’s early 2000’s. The old pictures I’m posting in this thread are 35mm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Bone Yard!! I was going to give away my skels at Richapalooza to attendees. But I forgot to.

Sobriety was to blame, and great people. Which is also how I ended up turning the sirloin tips into hockey pucks. :D

lol.. Those mostly came from my first couple tanks, we bleached them Snow White and used them as declarations in our flower beds years ago.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.. Those mostly came from my first couple tanks, we bleached them Snow White and used them as declarations in our flower beds years ago.
Very cool idea.

OP
OP
Retro Reefer

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FISH GONE WILD!!

Out of the blue Im having some fish issues.. my 4 year old clown has started violently attacking anything I put in the tank Including my glass scraper, coral feeding syringes and even my arm! at the same time my pair of Talbots have gone rouge and are repeatedly flipping my skull over as well as moving large area’s of sand around :mad: I have tried moving it as well as wedging it against something but they still manage to flip it followed by violently disturbing the substrate until the tank is so cloudy I can’t hardly see in it and everything in my tank ends up covered in white dust ;Facepalm

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back