OP
OP
Airwolf

Airwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first coral courtesy of @WaterShedAquatics! A cherry something zoanthid. Seems to be happy

93A07AB0-6074-418A-B388-2083F3E9F428.jpeg
Also ran a full battery of tests tonight:

Salanity:33ppt
Ph:8.2
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10
Alkalinity: 8.3
Calcium:380
Magnesium: 1260

Last 4 test were salifert. Ammonia and nitrite were api.

Regular instant ocean salt.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first coral courtesy of @WaterShedAquatics! A cherry something zoanthid. Seems to be happy

93A07AB0-6074-418A-B388-2083F3E9F428.jpeg
Also ran a full battery of tests tonight:

Salanity:33ppt
Ph:8.2
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10
Alkalinity: 8.3
Calcium:380
Magnesium: 1260

Last 4 test were salifert. Ammonia and nitrite were api.

Regular instant ocean salt.
Looking great. I would try to raise your salinity to 35ppt. 33 is a bit low. Just do it slow over a couple weeks. First corals are exciting. Let the addiction begin

OP
OP
Airwolf

Airwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9E34FC39-0601-4317-BAE3-5EDCEE2DEEA7.jpeg

For what it is worth, I refer to this chart from BRS for parameters. 33ppt is within range.
Thanks, I found the same thing when I was searching. I think bumping up salinity a bit will help get get the calcium and magnesium up off the minimum levels.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The final version of the rock work is definitely my favorite! Looking great, loving the thread so far

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along. Im 3 months into the process myself...

OP
OP
Airwolf

Airwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I will get the quantity of responses here versus posting this to a different thread but here it goes:

In referencing my 'ugly stage' photo above. (Post #30), the what I assume are diatoms are a bit more pronounced today. My question is, it is time to start a small clean up crew? I currently do not have one, as there was nothing for them to eat. If so, what is the recommendation for a snail or two? I am assuming that I should expect some algae growth after the diatom phase. I am thinking a single trochus, but not sure if they work on the substrate as well. Also looking for snails that can 'self right'.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I will get the quantity of responses here versus posting this to a different thread but here it goes:

In referencing my 'ugly stage' photo above. (Post #30), the what I assume are diatoms are a bit more pronounced today. My question is, it is time to start a small clean up crew? I currently do not have one, as there was nothing for them to eat. If so, what is the recommendation for a snail or two? I am assuming that I should expect some algae growth after the diatom phase. I am thinking a single trochus, but not sure if they work on the substrate as well. Also looking for snails that can 'self right'.
I used this sticky to help guide me through CUC choices
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/choosing-cleanup-crew-critters.258695/

You could definitely add some nassarius snails, as they are good sand sifters. If you are worried about them not eating, I just toss in a little frozen food every few days.

Trochus snails are a great choice as well as cerith and dwarf cerith.

Have you added a wavemaker yet? This will help with diatoms. The return pump on the biocube isn't really enough for good flow. I actually have mine pointed at the surface for good agitation and then a powerhead for extra flow. When i started seeing diatoms pop up in my other tank (the evo) I added a wavemaker to increase flow and they kind of disappeared. I also had turbos, hermits, and nassarius in there

OP
OP
Airwolf

Airwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this sticky to help guide me through CUC choices
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/choosing-cleanup-crew-critters.258695/

You could definitely add some nassarius snails, as they are good sand sifters. If you are worried about them not eating, I just toss in a little frozen food every few days.

Trochus snails are a great choice as well as cerith and dwarf cerith.

Have you added a wavemaker yet? This will help with diatoms. The return pump on the biocube isn't really enough for good flow. I actually have mine pointed at the surface for good agitation and then a powerhead for extra flow. When i started seeing diatoms pop up in my other tank (the evo) I added a wavemaker to increase flow and they kind of disappeared. I also had turbos, hermits, and nassarius in there
Thanks for the response, and link to the article, I was thinking of starting with trochus then adding some nassarius once I up the feed/bioload.

No wavemaker yet, however buying the biocube used, it has a different pump in it, I think it is a 'no name' brand but from what I can tell I think it is rated at 400gph, which seems to be an upgrade from the stock 265. The pump that is in mine has a model number of sml-025, but when searching on google, all the pictures show a solid black pump, mine is blue and black.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, and link to the article, I was thinking of starting with trochus then adding some nassarius once I up the feed/bioload.

No wavemaker yet, however buying the biocube used, it has a different pump in it, I think it is a 'no name' brand but from what I can tell I think it is rated at 400gph, which seems to be an upgrade from the stock 265. The pump that is in mine has a model number of sml-025, but when searching on google, all the pictures show a solid black pump, mine is blue and black.
If it is 400 gph, that is definitely an upgrade. I still think something else is needed. One for surface agitation to help with ph ( especially if you are leaving the lid on) and one to help circulate the water through any possible dead spots.

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited until I had a fair amount of “brown stuff” on my sand. Maybe 25% lightly covered. Also I supplemented my snails with some tiny algae pellets for herbivore fish just in case.
I went with 1 turbo, 2 nasarius, 3 Astrea and 1 margarita.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 32 cube club. It’s a long road ahead but it’s fun. a diverse clean up crew will be important. I thing I have over 45 now mainly various snails that are listed above.

are you planning on making any modifications To the tank.

I was doing so good the first 3+ months and then I got Cyno in month 4.
B56C453F-8935-48AD-B529-772D0FDF3B97.jpeg

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 32 cube club. It’s a long road ahead but it’s fun. a diverse clean up crew will be important. I thing I have over 45 now mainly various snails that are listed above.

are you planning on making any modifications To the tank.

I was doing so good the first 3+ months and then I got Cyno in month 4.
B56C453F-8935-48AD-B529-772D0FDF3B97.jpeg
Man. Your BTA picked a great spot. Mine is behind my rocks. I actually removed a few just to be able to see it. My maroon clown paired with it right away though so that was cool.

Back