My bta is.. weird

Apocalyptickaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I believe this to be but a simple green bta. But man is this thing huge. Got it from my lfs little over a week ago and by the second day in the tank my clowns were all over and in it. It's big and inflated and seemingly very happy, however, yesterday morning when the lights came on I noticed his foot up.. figured maybe he's stretching or something because he's still big and happy. But still today, he's foot up. When he was at the lfs I swore it was 3 not one. Hes huge. He wedged himself in the corner of my tank where there is the least amount of flow and has been super happy since. Just curious if anyone knows why he's decided to stretch his foot up like that lol

20220120_131913.jpg 20220120_141011.jpg 20220127_112845.jpg 20220127_112839.jpg

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just didn't know if because its so big if it may be getting ready to split or just.. being goofy I dont know
I’m no expert but my nems never went foot up to split, and they don’t go for the light with their foot but their topsides instead. Strange

OP
OP
Apocalyptickaos

Apocalyptickaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but my nems never went foot up to split, and they don’t go for the light with their foot but their topsides instead. Strange
I've never seen it either. From what I've seen foot up, they're normally deflated and very angry looking. But mine isn't. So I dont want to say something is wrong, it's just.. weird lol

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a watermelon (fancy green BTA, but these crazy names lol) do this once before it walked up a little higher on the rocks. It sat that way during the day and over the next few days planted itself on top of the rock instead of wedged inbetween like it was. Been in that same spot for a while now.

The nem does look healthy, does not look bleached (brownish tint under 100% white is expected), and looks to be expanded. I would only worry about nem if it started deflating, gaping mouth, etc.

OP
OP
Apocalyptickaos

Apocalyptickaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a watermelon (fancy green BTA, but these crazy names lol) do this once before it walked up a little higher on the rocks. It sat that way during the day and over the next few days planted itself on top of the rock instead of wedged inbetween like it was. Been in that same spot for a while now.

The nem does look healthy, does not look bleached (brownish tint under 100% white is expected), and looks to be expanded. I would only worry about nem if it started deflating, gaping mouth, etc.
That was my thoughts as well. I've been keeping an eye on it and it's staying inflated and bubbly and when its bubbles move just enough I can keep an eye on its mouth and its still closed and slightly pursed. Though I have noticed some.. what looks like stretching by its mouth. White lines going away from its mouth. Not sure what that is?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thoughts as well. I've been keeping an eye on it and it's staying inflated and bubbly and when its bubbles move just enough I can keep an eye on its mouth and its still closed and slightly pursed. Though I have noticed some.. what looks like stretching by its mouth. White lines going away from its mouth. Not sure what that is?
The white lines could be normal striations. Also, when nems move, they will "inhale" and "exhale" water to help in expanding or contacting their foot. Cause for worry would be you can see well inside the nems mouth and see their "guts" or the "guts" coming out of the mouth.

The below is an RBTA, but same applies to GBTA for striations. Yo may need to zoom in to see them, but is this what you are referring to?

tempImageCCi9EJ.png

OP
OP
Apocalyptickaos

Apocalyptickaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white lines could be normal striations. Also, when nems move, they will "inhale" and "exhale" water to help in expanding or contacting their foot. Cause for worry would be you can see well inside the nems mouth and see their "guts" or the "guts" coming out of the mouth.

The below is an RBTA, but same applies to GBTA for striations. Yo may need to zoom in to see them, but is this what you are referring to?

tempImageCCi9EJ.png
Yes that is exactly it! I also have a condy (not in the same tank) that I've learned its habits. So if it does start to deflate I can tell by how its deflated whats wrong. Most of the time it's throwing a tantrum because I was a little late on food lol I've had the condy for almost a year now

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back