OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I do use newly mixed water dosed with copper matching the tank they are coming out of for the transfer bucket."

Question, why is it necessary to have matched copper or any copper in the momentary transfer QT bucket water?
See my post just before yours.

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to inject in the conversation but I have a question. I am currently 7 days into my Hotrocks QT Process! (Copper Power/GC Feed treatment). My fish are all doing great but my water started clouding up - white. I used Seachem Seed to start my process and have been dosing a little each day - perhaps I over did it. I did a 10% water change and can continue but wanted to see if it was important to be more aggressive or just ride it out. TIA

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to inject in the conversation but I have a question. I am currently 7 days into my Hotrocks QT Process! (Copper Power/GC Feed treatment). My fish are all doing great but my water started clouding up - white. I used Seachem Seed to start my process and have been dosing a little each day - perhaps I over did it. I did a 10% water change and can continue but wanted to see if it was important to be more aggressive or just ride it out. TIA
Glad your fish are doing well.

I would either get more aggressive with WCs or if you have Furan-2 or spectrogram do a single dose. It will clear the bloom up usually.

It is important to get the bloom cleared, as it consumes oxygen heavily.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your fish are doing well.

I would either get more aggressive with WCs or if you have Furan-2 or spectrogram do a single dose. It will clear the bloom up usually.

It is important to get the bloom cleared, as it consumes oxygen heavily.

Interesting I think I may have the same thing going on. I have 10 gallons net total, on day 3 of therapeutic copper level and the water is cloudy too.

I just dosed 1 capsule of spectrogram. How long should I give this to see if this works at clearing the water or not? I am agitating the water pretty aggressively as well. What is the next step if this doesn’t work?

Fish are doing great. I used Fritz turbo start 900 to seed the tank/hob sponge filter. Not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I think I may have the same thing going on. I have 10 gallons net total, on day 3 of therapeutic copper level and the water is cloudy too.

I just dosed 1 capsule of spectrogram. How long should I give this to see if this works at clearing the water or not? I am agitating the water pretty aggressively as well. What is the next step if this doesn’t work?

Fish are doing great. I used Fritz turbo start 900 to seed the tank/hob sponge filter. Not sure if that matters or not.

Thanks
It should work within 48hrs. I would dose another capsule though. The dosage is double for.marine application. So 2 caps per 10 gallons.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work within 48hrs. I would dose another capsule though. The dosage is double for.marine application. So 2 caps per 10 gallons.

Ok thanks. Should I do a water change in a few days to clear the antibiotic or is that not needed with this particular one. It doesn’t really say in the package.

Thanks

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Should I do a water change in a few days to clear the antibiotic or is that not needed with this particular one. It doesn’t really say in the package.

Thanks
For a single dose you don't have to. You can run carbon after a few days if you want.

If you were dosing it consecutively to treat for an infection then you would need to do 25% WCs between doses.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For QT purposes, I fine that when using Bio-Spira, I don't get the bacterial blooms from overdosing like I do with the other product.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a single dose you don't have to. You can run carbon after a few days if you want.

If you were dosing it consecutively to treat for an infection then you would need to do 25% WCs between doses.

Thanks. My water is a little more yellow today? Maybe from the spectrogram? Should I give it another 24 hours?

Thanks

c23ef99bccfd514d4e317e5c5f0b24be.jpg

e7dba8b4926d113f84c1e1a71ec88d93.jpg

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrogram will turn the water yellowish green. It should clear the bacterial bloom though. Yes I would give it more time.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you take the fish out of the copper tank and put them in a clean setup for another 14 days with different meds, that second tank, can it be used for coral QT? I was planning on having 2 10g tanks. One for fish and other for corals/anemones. So I’m curious if the second QT you put the fish in can be used as both fish and coral(not at the same time)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you take the fish out of the copper tank and put them in a clean setup for another 14 days with different meds, that second tank, can it be used for coral QT? I was planning on having 2 10g tanks. One for fish and other for corals/anemones. So I’m curious if the second QT you put the fish in can be used as both fish and coral(not at the same time)
I wouldn't risk it. Both from the perspective that velvet dinospores can survive for up to 2 weeks looking for a host and any residual meds from treating fish could hurt the coral. I would break it down and sterilize it before switching its use.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrogram will turn the water yellowish green. It should clear the bacterial bloom though. Yes I would give it more time.
Yep, spectrogram has a yellowish tinge to it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the yellow go away over time? Or would a water change help with that?

Thanks
Not as long as spectrogram is in the water. It doesn’t hurt anything, and spectrogram prevents some bacterial infections as well. But water changes would reduce it, it’s not permanent.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as long as spectrogram is in the water. It doesn’t hurt anything, and spectrogram prevents some bacterial infections as well. But water changes would reduce it, it’s not permanent.

Ok. The fish have another 9 days in this tank with the copper. Then they get moved. Should I just leave it alone?

Thanks

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bloom clearing up at all?

I think? It’s hard to say because now the water is yellow instead of white...

Can’t really tell for sure. I think the white was just replaced by yellow.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this?

(Don't mind the flame angel with Uronema) This tank is clear, but dosed with spectrogram.

IMG_20181221_225200484_HDR-3006x4008.jpg

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this?

(Don't mind the flame angel with Uronema) This tank is clear, but dosed with spectrogram.

IMG_20181221_225200484_HDR-3006x4008.jpg

No mine is more cloudy still. It’s been 48 hours since the dose of spectrogram. Should I do anything else?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back