View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 rounds of GC would be
Dose
wait 48 hours dose again
wait 48 hours do 25% water change

and that's it or do you repeat all that again?

thanks

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 rounds of GC would be
Dose
wait 48 hours dose again
wait 48 hours do 25% water change

and that's it or do you repeat all that again?

thanks
You should really wait 5-7 days between doses opposed to the 48 hours recommended on the packaging. With a 25% WC in between doses.

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really wait 5-7 days between doses opposed to the 48 hours recommended on the packaging. With a 25% WC in between doses.
gotcha so then
dose
5 days later 25% water change and dose again
that's 2 rounds? or do i repeat the process again?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha so then
dose
5 days later 25% water change and dose again
that's 2 rounds? or do i repeat the process again?
Just the two doses total. No need to repeat.

nden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wealth of information to be had in this thread. One question though, for the 14-day post-medication observation, do you keep them in the 2nd sterile qt that the GC treatment is done in, or moved to a 3rd tank?

SteveC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wealth of information to be had in this thread. One question though, for the 14-day post-medication observation, do you keep them in the 2nd sterile qt that the GC treatment is done in, or moved to a 3rd tank?

Out of the Hospital Tank
Into a sterile QT tank for observation and any other treatment
Into DT

SaundersDVM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @HotRocks (and @4FordFamily and @Humblefish ) for your information and hard work testing these methods. I will be starting a 125 gallon FOWLR tank soon. I only have space for 1 QT tank, so I cannot transfer to a clean tank after 14 days as your protocol requires. For that reason, I plan to use either @Humblefish 's QT protocol, or the new one that you and @4FordFamily are developing if it is released by the time I start! When you all do release your new protocol, will it be posted on this thread?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @HotRocks (and @4FordFamily and @Humblefish ) for your information and hard work testing these methods. I will be starting a 125 gallon FOWLR tank soon. I only have space for 1 QT tank, so I cannot transfer to a clean tank after 14 days as your protocol requires. For that reason, I plan to use either @Humblefish 's QT protocol, or the new one that you and @4FordFamily are developing if it is released by the time I start! When you all do release your new protocol, will it be posted on this thread?
Yes it will be. The short of it is use metroplex instead of spectrogram to tackle uronema and brook. You can use both spectrogram and metroplex if you feel it necessary, we tested that as well. But we are testing it more our last batch went well until human error. By the way it will also be a 14 day process but if you only have one QT just use ABX for 14 and copper for 30 and you’ll be fine.

It’s also important to know “our” process was almost entirely borrowed from @Humblefish we worked on the new one in conjunction. :)

SaundersDVM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily so you guys are starting with metronidazole and only starting copper after 14 days of that? Is that because uronema is more of a concern than amyloodinium from your particular dealer?

SaundersDVM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily so you guys are starting with metronidazole and only starting copper after 14 days of that? Is that because uronema is more of a concern than amyloodinium from your particular dealer?

nden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the transfer into the sterile qt after 14 days, are there any precautions that need to be taken to minimize contamination, if any? Already have the sterile qt way off in another room, so very little chance for aerosol transmission.

For instance having water from the copper treatment tag along during the transfer. Using different nets/tupperware to catch and release, for example. Or something like catching fish from copper qt, placing them into container with sterile qt water, into another container with sterile qt water, like a sort of rinse done after coral dipping. Am I just way overthinking things?

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not over thinking it. Make a new batch of water, temp, salinity, copper matching QT. Catch fish, drop in container. If possible, catch fish with hands (in container) and drop them into new sterile tank, temp salinity matching.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the transfer into the sterile qt after 14 days, are there any precautions that need to be taken to minimize contamination, if any? Already have the sterile qt way off in another room, so very little chance for aerosol transmission.

For instance having water from the copper treatment tag along during the transfer. Using different nets/tupperware to catch and release, for example. Or something like catching fish from copper qt, placing them into container with sterile qt water, into another container with sterile qt water, like a sort of rinse done after coral dipping. Am I just way overthinking things?
As long as your transfer is done at the correct time there is little risk of carrying something over in the water. I would use completely separate equipment, like nets, for each tank. My preferred method is to catch the fish and put them in a transfer container filled with water from the QT they come out of. I move them to the new QT, dump the fish into a strainer to let most of the water through, then add the fish to the new QT (or DT).

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your transfer is done at the correct time there is little risk of carrying something over in the water. I would use completely separate equipment, like nets, for each tank. My preferred method is to catch the fish and put them in a transfer container filled with water from the QT they come out of. I move them to the new QT, dump the fish into a strainer to let most of the water through, then add the fish to the new QT (or DT).
I do the same, including separate nets etc for each tank.

I do use newly mixed water dosed with copper matching the tank they are coming out of for the transfer bucket.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Why are you putting copper in the transfer bucket if they are going into new QT that has no copper?
There is a very very slight chance of grabbing a viable tomont when netting the fish out of the copper QT.

So the copper in the bucket would still shield the fish if that happened. Then very carefully moving them from the bucket to the clean sterile tank by hand should prevent any mishaps.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I do use newly mixed water dosed with copper matching the tank they are coming out of for the transfer bucket."

Question, why is it necessary to have matched copper or any copper in the momentary transfer QT bucket water?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back