My Current QT Process

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your fish are doing well.

I would either get more aggressive with WCs or if you have Furan-2 or spectrogram do a single dose. It will clear the bloom up usually.

It is important to get the bloom cleared, as it consumes oxygen heavily.

Cleared up for me using Furan-2! Water is a little yellowish but that will clear up with more water changes. Wednesday I move my fish to a clean tank and start the GC process for 2 weeks. The only issue I have had was a long white stringy poo coming out of one of my clowns, I am assuming that was some parasites exiting due to the GC treatment in the food. Thx for the tip and the write-up!

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to quarantine a B/W clown and a small Kole tang (maybe also a Anthias) in a 20g AIO tank that I made. I olny have one tank so this has got to do. My lfs does not have any GC so I would like to use Prazipro which I have on hand along with Metroplex and Copper Power. I would really like to keep the quarantine period to a minimum. What do you suggest?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to quarantine a B/W clown and a small Kole tang (maybe also a Anthias) in a 20g AIO tank that I made. I olny have one tank so this has got to do. My lfs does not have any GC so I would like to use Prazipro which I have on hand along with Metroplex and Copper Power. I would really like to keep the quarantine period to a minimum. What do you suggest?
I would suggest the copper protocol in the first post. Add metro to water with copper for the first 10 days. Feed metro for 14 days.

Then after 30 days of copper once you have copper removed do your two doses of prazi.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest the copper protocol in the first post. Add metro to water with copper for the first 10 days. Feed metro for 14 days.

Then after 30 days of copper once you have copper removed do your two doses of prazi.

How about this? Two weeks of CP with Metro day one through day 10. Remove fish and water to a tub I have and used in the past for TTM. Change out water in QT, clean with ? and refill with new water. At this point I could do a FW dip to check for flukes or simply do the Prazipro as a precaution. The Prazipro as I recall is dose, wait 5 days and dose again and wait a couple of days. Iirc, the chemical only stays in the water for a day or so. I could also dose in the DT but I hate to expose the other fish and corals to it but I suppose it never hurts to treat everything for potential flukes. I would like to keep the exposure to copper at a minimum.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this? Two weeks of CP with Metro day one through day 10. Remove fish and water to a tub I have and used in the past for TTM. Change out water in QT, clean with ? and refill with new water. At this point I could do a FW dip to check for flukes or simply do the Prazipro as a precaution. The Prazipro as I recall is dose, wait 5 days and dose again and wait a couple of days. Iirc, the chemical only stays in the water for a day or so. I could also dose in the DT but I hate to expose the other fish and corals to it but I suppose it never hurts to treat everything for potential flukes. I would like to keep the exposure to copper at a minimum.
CP can be used. Metro is not needed (Dosed in water column) in conjunction with CP.

CP Treats Ich/velvet/brook/uronema
Copper Treats Ich/Velvet
Metro Treats Brook/Uronema

So essentially copper + metro is same treatment coverage as CP.

CP is more difficult to obtain as you should only use pharmaceutical grade obtained with a RX from a vet, IMO.
CP Should not be used on Blue Hippos, Anthias, and Wrasse as they will not tolerate the med.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP can be used. Metro is not needed (Dosed in water column) in conjunction with CP.

CP Treats Ich/velvet/brook/uronema
Copper Treats Ich/Velvet
Metro Treats Brook/Uronema

So essentially copper + metro is same treatment coverage as CP.

CP is more difficult to obtain as you should only use pharmaceutical grade obtained with a RX from a vet, IMO.
CP Should not be used on Blue Hippos, Anthias, and Wrasse as they will not tolerate the med.
Sorry, I meant Copper Power when I said CP. How does my protocol look, 2 weeks of meds/chemicals, clean tank and refill with fresh water and observe. Probably FW dip and if nothing should I still dose Prazipro. I am treating a small Kole tank, a juvenile b/w clown and perhaps an Anthias (tbd).

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why my ammonia would be elevated? I just got home and checked the tank and the ammonia alert badge is in the green. New water/copper is mixing now for a 50% water change.

Yesterday it was fine. I seeded it with Fritz 900 when I started this about 10 days ago.

Thanks,

Nick

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant Copper Power when I said CP. How does my protocol look, 2 weeks of meds/chemicals, clean tank and refill with fresh water and observe. Probably FW dip and if nothing should I still dose Prazipro. I am treating a small Kole tank, a juvenile b/w clown and perhaps an Anthias (tbd).
Any thoughts here?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mix prazi with copper. You may get a bacterial bloom. You can mix GC with copper though, just heavily aerate. Where will you put your fish while you are cleaning your tank? You would have to sterilize it and dry it for > 24hours before putting the fish back in (and the fish will need to remain in therapeutic copper while you are doing that). If you just have one tank, you should probably do 30 days of copper.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mix prazi with copper. You may get a bacterial bloom. You can mix GC with copper though, just heavily aerate. Where will you put your fish while you are cleaning your tank? You would have to sterilize it and dry it for > 24hours before putting the fish back in (and the fish will need to remain in therapeutic copper while you are doing that). If you just have one tank, you should probably do 30 days of copper.

I have a large tub that I have used in the past for TTM. Whether I do the copper for 2 weeks or 4 weeks followed by Prazipro i still need to reuse the QT. I don't see a problem in holding the fish in the holding tank for 24 hours using the same water that was in the QT. Am I missing something? I did not get a response to whether or not I should prophetically treat with Prazipro.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still treat with Prazi Pro, but would wait until after copper treatment to do so.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large tub that I have used in the past for TTM. Whether I do the copper for 2 weeks or 4 weeks followed by Prazipro i still need to reuse the QT. I don't see a problem in holding the fish in the holding tank for 24 hours using the same water that was in the QT. Am I missing something? I did not get a response to whether or not I should prophetically treat with Prazipro.

I would still treat prophylactically with Prazipro. Yes.

If you care using same water/same QT, you need to run copper for a full 30 days. Before removing copper or lowering the level.

If you have a 2nd sterile QT the fish can break moved from the copper QT to the sterile QT at the 14 day mark.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still treat prophylactically with Prazipro. Yes.

If you care using same water/same QT, you need to run copper for a full 30 days. Before removing copper or lowering the level.

If you have a 2nd sterile QT the fish can break moved from the copper QT to the sterile QT at the 14 day mark.

I really don't understand this. What is the difference if I move the fish and the copper infused water to a different vessel for 24 hours while I make the original QT a sterile, non-copper, non tomant vessel instead of directly moving the fish to a sterile container? I suppose I could simply move the fish to the tub I have for the time it takes to run the Prazipro it is just not as good for viewing. Thoughts?

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently on day 21 of Qt for 8 lyretail anthias...

Copper power at therapeutic level for 13 days then transferred
GC soaked food for 14 days
Metro dosed in water for 10 days (5doses)

Today while feeding I noticed one fish with long white stringy poo! Shouldn’t the GC have taken care of this? I just dosed a round of prazipro. Should I soak food with or dose metro again?

1D3C0642-E8CB-4734-8FBF-5DEA8CBFDD9E.jpeg

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand this. What is the difference if I move the fish and the copper infused water to a different vessel for 24 hours while I make the original QT a sterile, non-copper, non tomant vessel instead of directly moving the fish to a sterile container? I suppose I could simply move the fish to the tub I have for the time it takes to run the Prazipro it is just not as good for viewing. Thoughts?
You can hold them in a temporary container while you bleach and sterilize your QT. Just make sure everything is completely dry before you start QT back up.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently on day 21 of Qt for 8 lyretail anthias...

Copper power at therapeutic level for 13 days then transferred
GC soaked food for 14 days
Metro dosed in water for 10 days (5doses)

Today while feeding I noticed one fish with long white stringy poo! Shouldn’t the GC have taken care of this? I just dosed a round of prazipro. Should I soak food with or dose metro again?

1D3C0642-E8CB-4734-8FBF-5DEA8CBFDD9E.jpeg
Sometimes it can take up to 21 days of food soaked meds to erradicate intestinal parasites/worms.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hold them in a temporary container while you bleach and sterilize your QT. Just make sure everything is completely dry before you start QT back up.

And to wait for everything to dry for certain...that would be a pretty long time in a temporary container...like a day or two lol

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it can take up to 21 days of food soaked meds to erradicate intestinal parasites/worms.

Thanks for the reply. I'd be so far up the creek without this forum! I have a few questions now.

Should I start metro soaked food now? Can it be used with prazipro dosed in the water? Should I also soak the food with prazipro and discontinue the water dosing? When can I stop with the meds? Full 21 days? When I no longer see the white poo?

Lastly, with regard to the process we are following in this thread, does the use of soaked foods for the first 14 days hide the symptoms? Should the recommendation be to go a full 21 days from the start?

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to wait for everything to dry for certain...that would be a pretty long time in a temporary container...like a day or two lol
I could keep them in my tub for the entire time if I wanted to. It is just as large as the 20g glass tank. I just don't like it because it doesn't lend itself to viewing as well as the QT. A tank would dry and be hot in two hours in the hot Florida sun.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could keep them in my tub for the entire time if I wanted to. It is just as large as the 20g glass tank. I just don't like it because it doesn't lend itself to viewing as well as the QT. A tank would dry and be hot in two hours in the hot Florida sun.
I believe it. Although equipment can take longer to completely dry, even in Florida ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back