My Current QT Process

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks

so today is day 30 I have had my 3 clowns in copper. I know your process is 14 days copper and 14 days observation with other medications. I have to keep them out of the DT for another 31 days minimum(took 5 days to get copper to therapeutic level). I didn't have the other medications until last week so I never do anything with mixing in the food. I did however, when I first got the fish one dose of prazipro in the water column. I do have general cure now and have selcon and I do have focus+. I also have furan-2, but don't think I need to use that for these clowns.

The clowns look great on the outside. I honestly haven't seen them poop so I don't know if it is normal or white. They are eating great.

the question is, I am transferring to another tank sunday. Should I treat internal as well as add the GC to the water column at the same time? Since they did one round of prazi would it really matter to do the GC in the water column?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@HotRocks

so today is day 30 I have had my 3 clowns in copper. I know your process is 14 days copper and 14 days observation with other medications. I have to keep them out of the DT for another 31 days minimum(took 5 days to get copper to therapeutic level). I didn't have the other medications until last week so I never do anything with mixing in the food. I did however, when I first got the fish one dose of prazipro in the water column. I do have general cure now and have selcon and I do have focus+. I also have furan-2, but don't think I need to use that for these clowns.

The clowns look great on the outside. I honestly haven't seen them poop so I don't know if it is normal or white. They are eating great.

the question is, I am transferring to another tank sunday. Should I treat internal as well as add the GC to the water column at the same time? Since they did one round of prazi would it really matter to do the GC in the water column?

Why do you think they need another 31 days minimum? If they have been in 25 days therapeutic copper - and have had prazipro - curious why they would need general cure? If you want to observe them for a while without medication great - maybe I'm misunderstanding your method.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think they need another 31 days minimum? If they have been in 25 days therapeutic copper - and have had prazipro - curious why they would need general cure? If you want to observe them for a while without medication great - maybe I'm misunderstanding your method.

Well, long story. they all looked good. I kept them in a tank for observation and treated the water with the prazi and then once my DT was ready for fish I drip acclimated them and then once I put them in my large one showed signs of ich. Only think I can think of is the stress from the drop acclimation for the 45 min it took. my observation tank didn't have a light on it so I only had room and natural light and I didn't see anything on any of them. So since they went into the DT for 10 min, to make sure it is cleared I am making sure they are out of it for 76 days minimum. And dang, I was wrong. Looked back at my log and therapeutic level started on April 18th. they were removed from the DT on April 12th. So they have been at therapeutic for more than 30 days. Oops. So that is why I am coming up with more time in an new observation tank and figured try treating them for anything else possible.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the prazi is what I bought first before I read hotrocks thread. The GC treats more than prazi does and that is why I am thinking about using that now in the observation and I am wondering if I should do both, in the food and water column at the same time in the observation tank.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do that. I would use a 20g tank. Copper at 2.0-2.25.
QT Update: (following @HotRocks Day 1-9)
Day 1 - Seeded QT setup @ 1.018 SG, 76*; Acclimated LA fish (temp) for 45min; Added fish; All fish eating (GC/Focus treated frozen mysis); Dosed Copper Power (new acronym CPR?) to 1.5ppm; Dosed GC #1;
Day 2 - All fish eating 2x/day (GC/Focus treated frozen mysis); Tested Cu (Hanna); Dosed CPR to 2.0ppm; slightly ramped lighting; very slight cloudiness to QT water;
Day 3 - Tested Cu (Hanna); Dosed CPR to ~2.1ppm; Dosed Metro; All fish eating 2x/day (GC/Focus treated frozen mysis); increased lighting; very slight cloudiness to QT water; fish active and look great;
Day 4 - No changes;
Day 5 - Tested Cu (Hanna); Dosed Metro; very slight cloudiness to QT water; fish active and look great;

Questions:
1) SG is still at 1.019 (very little evap, if any). Should I begin increasing SG? How much per day (~.001 SG)?
2) Very slight tank cloudiness. Is this a result of the GC and/or Metro in water column? Water change?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Update: (following @HotRocks Day 1-9)
Day 1 - Seeded QT setup @ 1.018 SG, 76*; Acclimated LA fish (temp) for 45min; Added fish; All fish eating (GC/Focus treated frozen mysis); Dosed Copper Power (new acronym CPR?) to 1.5ppm; Dosed GC #1;
Day 2 - All fish eating 2x/day (GC/Focus treated frozen mysis); Tested Cu (Hanna); Dosed CPR to 2.0ppm; slightly ramped lighting; very slight cloudiness to QT water;
Day 3 - Tested Cu (Hanna); Dosed CPR to ~2.1ppm; Dosed Metro; All fish eating 2x/day (GC/Focus treated frozen mysis); increased lighting; very slight cloudiness to QT water; fish active and look great;
Day 4 - No changes;
Day 5 - Tested Cu (Hanna); Dosed Metro; very slight cloudiness to QT water; fish active and look great;

Questions:
1) SG is still at 1.019 (very little evap, if any). Should I begin increasing SG? How much per day (~.001 SG)?
2) Very slight tank cloudiness. Is this a result of the GC and/or Metro in water column? Water change?

+1 on cloudiness possibly being bacterial bloom, a water change can help. Make sure you have plenty of surface agitation (use a pump directed at the water surface and/or an airstone). That will help oxygenate the water, which will help the fish breath and help clear up the bloom.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on cloudiness possibly being bacterial bloom, a water change can help. Make sure you have plenty of surface agitation (use a pump directed at the water surface and/or an airstone). That will help oxygenate the water, which will help the fish breath and help clear up the bloom.
Thanks to both replies. Thought it maybe a bacterial bloom. I'm running both a large HOB and a power head (aimed at surface w/ aeration). QT is due for 25% WC in 2 days. Fish look happy so no changes now. Thanks again.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks I'm still at 1.019 SG in my QT on Day 5. When do you recommend increasing SG? How much per day?
You can do so whenever you please. I wouldn't increase more than .001 per day. Although topping off with matching saltwater likely won't even bring it up that fast.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Not sure where else to post this:
Need help!
Yellow Tang not eating, breathing appears rapid to heavy, abdomen looks emaciated.
I'm on Day 7 of QT process. Fed tank with medicated food this a.m. Everybody ate well. Yellow Tang and 6-Line also devoured Nori I placed in tank yesterday. Did 25% WC yesterday while raising SG .001(ish) from 1.019+. Treated with Day 7 GC. Tested water this evening prior to feeding. 1.021SG, Cu @ 2.07, temp 78*F, Ammonia Alert "Safe", good flow from HOB and power head aeration.
Any thoughts?

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well clowns were in copper more than 30 days, oops. Transferred to observation tank yesterday. I as definitely nervous since last time I tried transfer one showed signs of ich which I think cane from stress of drip acclimation.

This time I syphoned water from copper tank to 5g bucket. Shut everything off. Moved fish to bucket. Moved copper tank outside. Wiped counter down with some vinegar and then brought observation tank and setup on opposite end of counter. Brought new water from RO room and pumped into observation tank and made sure everything was running. Salinity matched and temp was within .01.

I had a little new water leftover in brute can so I used a net carefully took them from the 5g bucket, dipped into brute real quick to try and wash off any water containing copper and then put into observation tank. Probably not necessary but I was paranoid. Whole process probably took 15min.

Probably do some medication in the water during observation. They look great and eating fine the whole time. But honestly haven’t seen them poop yet.

58395910-ED91-4E5F-9B2A-E0CAA5FEEA90.jpeg

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, something I just thought about. That sponge was in my fuge. I have nothing in the DT. Originally I put these clowns in and that’s when I saw ich on one and then pulled them out. So the DT was without livestock for 43 days when I pulled the sponge to place in observation tank. Did I just screw up? I didn’t think so since ich didn’t have a host anymore.

Hurdbird88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks - Medicated Food Mixing

When you mix general cure and focus up with food, do you use 1 scoop of each per frozen cube? Can you take the same approach with pellets / algae sheets so they get the dosage every meal?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks - Medicated Food Mixing

When you mix general cure and focus up with food, do you use 1 scoop of each per frozen cube? Can you take the same approach with pellets / algae sheets so they get the dosage every meal?
It's 1 scoop of each per tablespoon of prepared food. If using frozen cubes I would thaw them and strain off the suspension liquid to measure out a tablespoon of food.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, something I just thought about. That sponge was in my fuge. I have nothing in the DT. Originally I put these clowns in and that’s when I saw ich on one and then pulled them out. So the DT was without livestock for 43 days when I pulled the sponge to place in observation tank. Did I just screw up? I didn’t think so since ich didn’t have a host anymore.

Anyone?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Not sure where else to post this:
Need help!
Yellow Tang not eating, breathing appears rapid to heavy, abdomen looks emaciated.
I'm on Day 7 of QT process. Fed tank with medicated food this a.m. Everybody ate well. Yellow Tang and 6-Line also devoured Nori I placed in tank yesterday. Did 25% WC yesterday while raising SG .001(ish) from 1.019+. Treated with Day 7 GC. Tested water this evening prior to feeding. 1.021SG, Cu @ 2.07, temp 78*F, Ammonia Alert "Safe", good flow from HOB and power head aeration.
Any thoughts?
It sounds like it is either not eating enough, or it has internal parasites. If it isn't eating, it won't help to soak foods in metroplex or GC now.

It's important to note also that perhaps 1/30 or so zebrasoma tangs I've quarantined have been copper sensitive. Unfortunately, if this is the case there isn't anything you can do other than CP to treat them.

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like it is either not eating enough, or it has internal parasites. If it isn't eating, it won't help to soak foods in metroplex or GC now.

It's important to note also that perhaps 1/30 or so zebrasoma tangs I've quarantined have been copper sensitive. Unfortunately, if this is the case there isn't anything you can do other than CP to treat them.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Yellow Tang did not make it thru the night. Tank was at TL (2.07 Copper Power) for 6-7 days. Tang was active, eating both medicated food mix (GC/Focus/Selcon/Garlic) and nori. No other signs of stress or infection. Possibly internal parasites. How would you treat parasites prior to Copper? FW bath? Rally Bath (how?)? GC/Metro/Kano? Other?

alpenreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back