My Current QT Process

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm, something I just thought about. That sponge was in my fuge. I have nothing in the DT. Originally I put these clowns in and that’s when I saw ich on one and then pulled them out. So the DT was without livestock for 43 days when I pulled the sponge to place in observation tank. Did I just screw up? I didn’t think so since ich didn’t have a host anymore.
@HotRocks et al - can't sponges deplete copper/CP in the QT tank?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For best practices: If something wet from a tank that isn't 1) clean or 2) 76 days fallow entered another tank, it should be run fallow OR if it was a QT tank, assume parasites were introduced on that day.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks et al - can't sponges deplete copper/CP in the QT tank?
No, polyfiber can. I am sure other media types can but we use sponge frequently because it allegedly does not. We have seen no evidence that it does, marginally --- but who knows!

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For best practices: If something wet from a tank that isn't 1) clean or 2) 76 days fallow entered another tank, it should be run fallow OR if it was a QT tank, assume parasites were introduced on that day.

Well yeah, sponges were seeded in my DT that’s fallow but hasn’t been fallow 76 days yet.

So I just F’ed my QT and need to QT all over again?

So how do you seed an observation tank when taking fish from the QT and putting into the observation? I have no way of setting up observation 10+ feet from QT. So I have to take down QT and setup observation. Immediately.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the Yellow Tang did not make it thru the night. Tank was at TL (2.07 Copper Power) for 6-7 days. Tang was active, eating both medicated food mix (GC/Focus/Selcon/Garlic) and nori. No other signs of stress or infection. Possibly internal parasites. How would you treat parasites prior to Copper? FW bath? Rally Bath (how?)? GC/Metro/Kano? Other?
I treat intestinal parasites by food soaking medication with metronidazole. You can also use general cure as it contains metronidazole as well as praziquantel which will also erradicate intestinal worms.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is enough to make you quit if I have to go back through 30 days of copper treatment. Also enough to almost make a grown man cry. These poor fish

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well yeah, sponges were seeded in my DT that’s fallow but hasn’t been fallow 76 days yet.

So how do you seed an observation tank when taking fish from the QT and putting into the observation? I have no way of setting up observation 10+ feet from QT. So I have to take down QT and setup observation. Immediately.

the fallow period (though seeding sponges would be low risk depending on how you do it) it 76 days after the last wet addition (I think). So...

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fallow period (though seeding sponges would be low risk depending on how you do it) it 76 days after the last wet addition (I think). So...

Yes I know. And I planned on going 80 days for precaution. However I didn’t consider ich being in the sponges until obviously it was too late.

I guess I can transfer the water to my other tank that had copper in it and transfer the sponge. And everything else still keep with observation tank since copper didn’t touch it but clean it with Clorox and set it aside again for later.

I haven’t put any medications in the water yet so adding copper to this water when I get it in the QT tank should be fine.

Still curious about seeding the observation tank in the future though. Put the water in, add new dry sponge and add biospira then add fish all within 15-30min? I have some microbacter 7 I could continue adding a little each day?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I know. And I planned on going 80 days for precaution. However I didn’t consider ich being in the sponges until obviously it was too late.

I guess I can transfer the water to my other tank that had copper in it and transfer the sponge. And everything else still keep with observation tank since copper didn’t touch it but clean it with Clorox and set it aside again for later.

I haven’t put any medications in the water yet so adding copper to this water when I get it in the QT tank should be fine.

Still curious about seeding the observation tank in the future though. Put the water in, add new dry sponge and add biospira then add fish all within 15-30min? I have some microbacter 7 I could continue adding a little each day?
#reefsquad

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just removed my fish from CP as for they have not been eating well last few days. They spent 13 days in CP and now transferred to tank two.

No meds in tank two at this point. Plan is to observe and feed them some medicated foods once they regain appetite. As mentioned this has been my first QT. Now I will reset tank 1 and get the next batch of fish on order for CP treatment.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok so I want to get this straight.

Did you use the sponges in the copper tank? Or your fish have already gone through copper and you used the sponges in your Observational copper free QT?

Do you know what you had in your DT? As far as the reason you needed to go fallow, which parasite was present?

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I want to get this straight.

Did you use the sponges in the copper tank? Or your fish have already gone through copper and you used the sponges in your Observational copper free QT?

Do you know what you had in your DT? As far as the reason you needed to go fallow, which parasite was present?

Bare w/ me. I’ll try shortening this. I believe it was ich. Tank is new. 3 months old, I cycled and once ammonia and nitrite hit zero I put the three clowns in. They were in observation the whole time tank was cycling and had one dose of prazi for good measure. They all ate great, never saw white poop. Drip acclimated. Popped in DT and immediately saw what I think was ich on one. I can only assume the 30-40 min of acclimation stressed her out. Picture attached of what I saw. And another pic now in observation.

I had sponges in sump for DT the whole time seeding them. Put clowns back in observation tank and turned into QT with cupramine. Used one sponge from DT sump for QT tank. After about 34 days therapeutic copper I set up a new observation tank with all new equipment. The sponge from QT went in the trash. I grabbed another sponge from my DT sump for the new observation tank. So the DT was fallow for 43 days and still is fallow.

FACBE9E6-E09D-4EFD-9409-29DA45C222FB.jpeg

DF1B0304-4B56-4DAF-947A-A11F71D0F688.jpeg

D7ACECA5-64EB-4E6C-A809-094A78DF6AA3.jpeg

Last edited:

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Not sure why the same pic posted twice. Even tried to edit and remove one and it won’t.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare w/ me. I’ll try shortening this. I believe it was ich. Tank is new. 3 months old, I cycled and once ammonia and nitrite hit zero I put the three clowns in. They were in observation the whole time tank was cycling and had one dose of prazi for good measure. They all ate great, never saw white poop. Drip acclimated. Popped in DT and immediately saw what I think was ich on one. I can only assume the 30-40 min of acclimation stressed her out. Picture attached of what I saw. And another pic now in observation.

I had sponges in sump for DT the whole time seeding them. Put clowns back in observation tank and turned into QT with cupramine. Used one sponge from DT sump for QT tank. After about 34 days therapeutic copper I set up a new observation tank with all new equipment. The sponge from QT went in the trash. I grabbed another sponge from my DT sump for the new observation tank. So the DT was fallow for 43 days and still is fallow.

FACBE9E6-E09D-4EFD-9409-29DA45C222FB.jpeg

DF1B0304-4B56-4DAF-947A-A11F71D0F688.jpeg

D7ACECA5-64EB-4E6C-A809-094A78DF6AA3.jpeg
You are dealing with Brook. The sponge isn't the problem. Copper will suppress the parasite but not eliminate it. That is why you saw it come back immediately because it was always there just being suppressed by copper.

You will want to treat the fish with metronidazole for 10 days at full strength dosage.

A rally bath can also be helpful prior to treatment.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

That is a really cool clown BTW!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge could be a problem for future batches BTW. You wouldn't want to do that. Also if ich/velvet are present in your DT a copper treatment again is not out of the question.

Based on what I see in those pics though looks like Brook to me.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are dealing with Brook. The sponge isn't the problem. Copper will suppress the parasite but not eliminate it. That is why you saw it come back immediately because it was always there just being suppressed by copper.

You will want to treat the fish with metronidazole for 10 days at full strength dosage.

A rally bath can also be helpful prior to treatment.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

That is a really cool clown BTW!

I didn’t see it come back. When I bought them they all looked great. And for the whole time in the original observation tank I never saw anything. It wasn’t till after drip acclimation and putting into the DT that I saw it. So I didn’t see it, then go away and then come back. And I’d assume if it was at the store for 3 months (I watched it that long, never sold), then in observation for over another month prior to putting in DT, wouldn’t they be dead with no treatment for that long?

I’ll go look at the brook link, thank you. And treat for it. And then I guess for ich after that. Any “spots” you see in the observation tank pic is food. I just fed them prior to the pic. They don’t look to have anything exterior wise wrong. And I assume internal since no white poop and one dose of prazi.

And thank you. Love the puzzle piece look. Had to have her.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see it come back. When I bought them they all looked great. And for the whole time in the original observation tank I never saw anything. It wasn’t till after drip acclimation and putting into the DT that I saw it. So I didn’t see it, then go away and then come back. And I’d assume if it was at the store for 3 months (I watched it that long, never sold), then in observation for over another month prior to putting in DT, wouldn’t they be dead with no treatment for that long?

I’ll go look at the brook link, thank you. And treat for it. And then I guess for ich after that. Any “spots” you see in the observation tank pic is food. I just fed them prior to the pic. They don’t look to have anything exterior wise wrong. And I assume internal since no white poop and one dose of prazi.

And thank you. Love the puzzle piece look. Had to have her.
So this is food??? When white peeling look and the spots below the dorsal fin?

Screenshot_20190529-224719.png

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is food??? When white peeling look and the spots below the dorsal fin?

Screenshot_20190529-224719.png

No. That’s in the DT with the rock. I’m talking observation tank. If you zoom in on that pic it looks like there is a spot on one of them but it’s floating food.

Didn’t really look like peeling. Probably bad pic. Or at least no peeling like I see in other typical brook pics. Either way it’s a 45min bath. That treatment is easy. I’m sick of testing copper daily. So I’ll do what the link says for the bath and follow up and then when done I’ll do copper power.

Thank you for the replies and help. And in future observation tanks I’ll put brand new sponges in and biospira.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back