My current tank iteration

dallast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
My tank, at least the glass box and half the live rock have been going for over 15 years now. Have had many setbacks over the years (hair algae plagues, mass fish die-offs, RTN, bubble algae infestation, sump and tank overflow, etc). Three times this tank has sat outside our office on the sidewalk being rinsed out with a hose! I made a number of design errors in the beginning and have paid ever since! But I persevere, as I love the hobby! Will post a tank photo shortly.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. cant wait to see the tank!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! No lets see some pics!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also would like to know equipment specifications, stocking lists and any out of the ordinary husbandry techniques.

OP
OP
dallast

dallast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as equipment goes, I am I the minimal side. Have ten gallon "sump" with tied on filter sock, a SWC 150 skimmer and Quiet One return pump -- sadly, no weirs in this sump, so occasional micro bubbles can be seen.
I was using a CPR overflow, but had one too many siphon breaks and mini floods , so scrapped and made a dual DIY over with 1.5 inch PVC. Works well enough for now. Use one old Jaebo 25 wave maker and an opposing standard power head which comes on with actinic lights. Two Chinese 150 W LED lights with custom configuration.
I love LPS!!!! Lots of acans, euphyllias, etc. also have massive playing monti which I paid $$$ for and was size of quarter when I got it! Prized coral is my softball colony of A. bowerbanki. At the moment, only two fish, large, super mean 13 year old tomato clown and a purple tang grace the tank. Tried adding some mellow banggai cardinals and blue green chromis, but they did not last 10 days! Have to figure out some new prospects that can hold their own! Any suggestions????
Drilled tank is next on list!
Will get more pics up shortly!
As tank is built in to front desk, need ideas for proper sump and sump stand.
image.jpg

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking coral!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck with finding fish that will last?

OP
OP
dallast

dallast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly no! As a matter of fact, I picked up 3 fish a t Reefapalooza -- one was missing the next day. The second one I just found laying dried up on top of the tank glass brace! There is still a lone mandarin in there! I think some bigger, hardier type fish might be my next best option. Or I could QT these two brutes and get some others established. Not sure what to do.....but very frustrated, nonetheless!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that sucks! If they are that aggressive it might be best to rehome them so that you can have more fish

OP
OP
dallast

dallast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a giant hermit that insists on flipping over half my frags every night in search of food. I think I will be donating him to the nearest lfs.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a giant hermit that insists on flipping over half my frags every night in search of food. I think I will be donating him to the nearest lfs.
>:I That happened to me! Except it knocked a coral onto a chalice overnight so by the time I found it, it was dead.

OP
OP
dallast

dallast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My montipora is huge now! I wish I could get a good shot of the beautiful electric/maxima blue polyps is has Ina yellow base.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a good looking monti

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back