My first 240+ tank build

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm Billy from Sabah, Malaysia. I was so happy that I finally got the "approval" to build a 7ft tank. Although I hope I could make a 8ft but due to space constraint, I have to change my plan to 7ft. Although that was kinda disappointed but, It's ok, I still happy with this plan. Just some of my background on how I started this hobby. In beginning of 2015, I accompany my uncle to LFS to purchase some fish food for Arowana and here I saw the only reef tank in the shop which consist of two little clown fish playing around with the anemone, they seems like so enjoy it. So here's my hobby started. I was dreaming that, if one day I could have my own tank then it will be good. After few months, my dream come true, I manage to own a 4 by 2 by 2 reef tank.
received_10208680409920992.jpeg

In year 2016, I have to decom this tank due to my father was admitted to hospital because of brain lymphoma cancer, therefore I have to fly to Singapore for every two weeks and this continue for almost a year. I really got no time to take care of this tank so I sell most of the coral, live rock and fishes back to LFS. But Thanks God that my father is getting better now and he had gone through all the treatments, now he just waiting for recovery. Thus, I got the chance to step back to this hobby again and build a new tank. Meanwhile in waiting for my 7ft tank to complete, I started to collect some of the coral for future use.
IMG_20170401_153510-01-01.jpeg

This is the place where I plan to put my new aquarium, although the window is at the back, but when the tank is ready, the curtain will be close for all the time.
IMG_20170331_093927.jpg

As I believe this tank will consume a lot of electricity, therefore, I decided the setup a whole new wire from the main switchboard in order to support all my equipment.
IMG_20170331_094904.jpg IMG_20170331_094000.jpg IMG_20170331_095418.jpg IMG_20170331_104516.jpg
Opss, I just realised that I forgotten to take the photo for this outcome :D (will add in in the future). Furthermore, as my family business nature was timber industry, therefore, it is an advantages for me to make a wood stand. So, currently I'm using Belian to build my stand. Just a brief introduction for this species. Belian (scientific name: Eusideroxylon zwageri) is a solid wood and it also consider as one of the most durable timber in the world. Most of the time people use this to build resort. As it resistant to water. Although it will rotten in the future but it really take a very long time to happen.
IMG-20170327-WA0017.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0018.jpg

The measurement for the stand is 85" x 34" x 36". So I will just stop it here, will keep and update when the stand is ready.

Stay tune.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good [emoji106] be sure to update with pics! Sorry to hear that about your father. Hope he continues to recover.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is pretty and judging by the previous frag tank, this is going to turn out awesome!

OP
OP
billy1205

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is pretty and judging by the previous frag tank, this is going to turn out awesome!
Thank you for the compliment, will keep more update when the stand is ready :)

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm Billy from Sabah, Malaysia. I was so happy that I finally got the "approval" to build a 7ft tank. Although I hope I could make a 8ft but due to space constraint, I have to change my plan to 7ft. Although that was kinda disappointed but, It's ok, I still happy with this plan. Just some of my background on how I started this hobby. In beginning of 2015, I accompany my uncle to LFS to purchase some fish food for Arowana and here I saw the only reef tank in the shop which consist of two little clown fish playing around with the anemone, they seems like so enjoy it. So here's my hobby started. I was dreaming that, if one day I could have my own tank then it will be good. After few months, my dream come true, I manage to own a 4 by 2 by 2 reef tank.
received_10208680409920992.jpeg

In year 2016, I have to decom this tank due to my father was admitted to hospital because of brain lymphoma cancer, therefore I have to fly to Singapore for every two weeks and this continue for almost a year. I really got no time to take care of this tank so I sell most of the coral, live rock and fishes back to LFS. But Thanks God that my father is getting better now and he had gone through all the treatments, now he just waiting for recovery. Thus, I got the chance to step back to this hobby again and build a new tank. Meanwhile in waiting for my 7ft tank to complete, I started to collect some of the coral for future use.
IMG_20170401_153510-01-01.jpeg

This is the place where I plan to put my new aquarium, although the window is at the back, but when the tank is ready, the curtain will be close for all the time.
IMG_20170331_093927.jpg

As I believe this tank will consume a lot of electricity, therefore, I decided the setup a whole new wire from the main switchboard in order to support all my equipment.
IMG_20170331_094904.jpg IMG_20170331_094000.jpg IMG_20170331_095418.jpg IMG_20170331_104516.jpg
Opss, I just realised that I forgotten to take the photo for this outcome :D (will add in in the future). Furthermore, as my family business nature was timber industry, therefore, it is an advantages for me to make a wood stand. So, currently I'm using Belian to build my stand. Just a brief introduction for this species. Belian (scientific name: Eusideroxylon zwageri) is a solid wood and it also consider as one of the most durable timber in the world. Most of the time people use this to build resort. As it resistant to water. Although it will rotten in the future but it really take a very long time to happen.
IMG-20170327-WA0017.jpg IMG-20170327-WA0018.jpg

The measurement for the stand is 85" x 34" x 36". So I will just stop it here, will keep and update when the stand is ready.

Stay tune.

Hi Billy,

Your tank and the collection look so incredible:)
I am sure that the new tank will be so amazing! How is the set up going?

How is your farther? I hope he is feeling much better:)

Zhenya

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about your dad. Looking forward to more updates!

OP
OP
billy1205

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Sorry for not updating this thread for a while as the aquarium maker keep delay on his work. So yesterday 17/5/2017, finally my tank arrived her new home sweet home! ;Woot This tank used 6 people to carry in. Sorry for not showing any photos as I was so excited until I forgotten I should take some photo. Now I was kinda regret for not taking any photos. :( After settling down the tank, I immediately start installing all the plumbing. I'm using bean animal overflow method as I believe this is the best and safer overflow method. As this is my first time installing plumbing, it took almost 2 and half hours to only complete the connection part for full siphon and open channel standpipe. Although for me this is a very difficult task but I still insist to do it myself because I believe once I successfully setting up all this. It will be very rewarding.

LRM_EXPORT_20170517_185438.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20170518_101119.jpg
You looks tiny beside the tank :p

By the way, I moved the tank to the other side of the wall because it was too big until blocking up the whole window. I will update again once i completed all the plumbing, in the mean while, I'm waiting people to install the light stand and split unit. ;)

OP
OP
billy1205

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Billy,

Your tank and the collection look so incredible:)
I am sure that the new tank will be so amazing! How is the set up going?

How is your farther? I hope he is feeling much better:)

Zhenya

Thanks, my tank just arrived yesterday. I hope I can complete setting up by next week.
My father is getting better now. Thanks for your concern.

OP
OP
billy1205

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the light stand and light is on!! Here's the outcome. I'm currently using 2 set of 8 x 39w ATI dimmable sunpower. I hope this light could give me some good result. ;)
LRM_EXPORT_20170612_190549.jpg

Now it will be a long long journey until the tank is ready. Stay tune for my first fishy.

OP
OP
billy1205

billy1205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I used 6 packs of caribsea special grade reef sands and 2 pack of fiji pink (Fiji pink at bottom layer covered by special grade reef sand)to cover up the bottom. After covering up I start my wavemaker by using 2 units of maxspect gyre XF280. Surprisingly, the sand doesn't really blow around and most importantly it doesn't create any sand storm as this size is really ideal for high flow tank. Therefore I would highly recommended caribsea special grade reef sand to anyone who looking for sand. Besides, I also used 2 and a half bucket of DD H2O salt for mixing my saltwater. The parameter as follow:
Calclium: 440
Magnesium: 1300
Potassium: 390
dkh: 9.5
ph: 8.3
Salinity: 1.025

I used 5 days to completely fill up the tank with RODI water, however the nightmare is, it damaged my house water pump which cost me another few thousand to buy a brand new one. Ouch! I think the water pump is overheat as I run almost 20 hours a day. haha! :p I just can't wait to fill the tank up!

2.jpg

1 (1).jpg

1 (3).jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back