My first anemone

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered an anemone last week and it is coming tomorrow I already have many corals and know how to put them in the correct spots and deal with them. I was just wondering what are the big differences between an anemone and a coral. I know they can move on there own but wanted to know if I can place them somewhere where they can’t hurt any corals. Also I wanted to know any other general things about an anemone. It’s a acid wash bubble tip from Aqua SD. Any info will be much appreciated.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered an anemone last week and it is coming tomorrow I already have many corals and know how to put them in the correct spots and deal with them. I was just wondering what are the big differences between an anemone and a coral. I know they can move on there own but wanted to know if I can place them somewhere where they can’t hurt any corals. Also I wanted to know any other general things about an anemone. It’s a acid wash bubble tip from Aqua SD. Any info will be much appreciated.
Nem will move if it feels like it, where it wants to go. Might stay put for quite a while or might continue to wander, whether you place them somewhere specific or not. Bubble Tips are nice. Enjoy it and try not to stress too much on placement.

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have experience with keeping anemone, however I have definitely looked into adding one to my current set up. I found out that they will move around the tank no matter where you place them. I have heard that they will knock over anything that is in their way while they are on the move. Plus they have the potential to eat tank inhabitants.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have experience with keeping anemone, however I have definitely looked into adding one to my current set up. I found out that they will move around the tank no matter where you place them. I have heard that they will knock over anything that is in their way while they are on the move. Plus they have the potential to eat tank inhabitants.
Wow ok didn’t know that. Hopefully mine will be ok.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that they can eat Nudibranch that wander too close. I used to have a Lettuce Nudibranch and had to take that into consideration when I was thinking about getting an anemone.
Only things I have are a 2 clowns a firefish 5 hermit crabs 3 snails a conch and a sand sifting star.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could we get a pic of your tank to see the available space?
My lights just turned off. Everything is the same but I just added 7 frags around the front and middle parts. 20 gallon cube.

Attachments

• A174DCE3-0D14-4BC1-8803-C043F53CDEB1.jpeg
    A174DCE3-0D14-4BC1-8803-C043F53CDEB1.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 61

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only things I have are a 2 clowns a firefish 5 hermit crabs 3 snails a conch and a sand sifting star.
Likely all good, who knows maybe those clowns take a liking to the BTA! Go slow on acclimation to tank water, it might be a bit fussy first day or two as well.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely all good, who knows maybe those clowns take a liking to the BTA! Go slow on acclimation to tank water, it might be a bit fussy first day or two as well.
How should I acclimate them. Do they need to be dipped or no.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reading up on anemones and how to care for them. It’s best to do research prior to buying any type of livestock
A healthy inhabitant will not be affected/eaten by a anemone and they do not move or knock stuff around the tank.

BigD9.5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights turned off too.it seem like it need to get a little adjusted to,i got mine at petco for 40 dollars and their lights are at 10k so its definitely has a little adjustmentto do with my lights

Erik-Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had anemones for years, particularly bubbletips, and the above posts are absolutely true!

They have a mind of their own, and will walk whenever and wherever they please to get comfortable. In the process of their migration, they will have the potential to sting OR get stung themselves. If you have nicer corals, be ready to move them out of the way if need be. I know this from personal experience. One thing to consider, is that that they sometimes multiply. So you might want to consider that as well when youre thinking about coral placing.

I started with 1 BTA 3 years ago, and now I have a tank with about 20 of them after selling about 30 others throught the years. The real key to keeping nems, is not how fancy filtration or spectacular lighting, its all about having an established tank. Give your new guy plenty to eat and good flow and he will do well!

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reading up on anemones and how to care for them. It’s best to do research prior to buying any type of livestock
A healthy inhabitant will not be affected/eaten by a anemone and they do not move or knock stuff around the tank.
Yeah I’ve done a little bit I just came on here to see what people recommend and there experiences. Thanks.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had anemones for years, particularly bubbletips, and the above posts are absolutely true!

They have a mind of their own, and will walk whenever and wherever they please to get comfortable. In the process of their migration, they will have the potential to sting OR get stung themselves. If you have nicer corals, be ready to move them out of the way if need be. I know this from personal experience. One thing to consider, is that that they sometimes multiply. So you might want to consider that as well when youre thinking about coral placing.

I started with 1 BTA 3 years ago, and now I have a tank with about 20 of them after selling about 30 others throught the years. The real key to keeping nems, is not how fancy filtration or spectacular lighting, its all about having an established tank. Give your new guy plenty to eat and good flow and he will do well!
Wow that’s crazy thanks for the info.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drip them for an hour or 2. Make sure they are comfortable with your water then very carefully pick them up and be careful not to rip their foot. Just place him in a suitable place bottom left looks good if you move that frag and just be prepared for him to move around, Also be careful with him going near your power head bc he could get chopped to pieces

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back