OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make life easier on yourself i would purchase a 53 micron sieve for the rotifers. It works just like a coffee filter would except its easier to handle and reuseable. What you'll do is scoop out however much of your rotifers you want and pour it through the sieve and let the water pass right back into your rotifer culture container.
this way you dont have to keep making new saltwater to replace it. Also you want to strain as much of the water from the rotifers as possible because you dont really want to add that to your tank.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I actually had ordered a 53 micron sieve a few days ago (when I ordered some green paste) and it was SUPPOSED TO BE HERE today, but for some reason the sender required a signature when delivered and I wasn't home. I'll have to find a way to go pick it up at the nearest UPS facility because I won't be here when they try to deliver again tomorrow. Can't wait to be able to harvest more simply.... thanks for all the suggestions.

My two fry are orange with a distinct white head stripe and are eating BBS. I'm going to pull the eggs from the parents tomorrow night to see if the new batch will hatch. Such a small bunch, though. There's probably only about 30 eggs left, but they've all got silver eyeballs! :)
Sue

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your baby clowns have a head stripe you're almost out of the woods! I normally keep feeding bbs between a 1-2 weeks and then start adding some VERY fine crushed flake food and ween them. Once you have them on regular fish food you're pretty much set.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'm pretty sure I see rear stripes!!!! And as I type this I've got their tank blacked out because I put the next batch of eggs in with them. If any hatch, it's OK to keep the older fry with the younger for now, right? I'll keep the water green and add rotifers and BBS throughout the day.
Sue

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you'll be good with the 2 biggers ones in with the new batch. Just make sure to keep enough food constantly in the tank for them.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dr. Tamer!
So far selling has been minimal. I've sold about 13 fish at this point, with most at a recent frag swap. There are more swaps in the near future so that should change things too. I'll try and work on an update video for you.

Dr. Tamer Moataz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot :)

but why you dont try to sell them to a store
this will protect environment by decreasing the number of capturing new clowns from the ocean

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure i'll be selling some to local fish stores in my area. There is one main factor that I have to consider with this. It ultimately comes down to money. My plan is to sell fish myself when possible. I've talked to some lfs and have been told that the amount of $$ they would offer me per fish is about half what i can sell them for. I'm not against doing business with fish stores but I have to consider the amount of money I have invested as well. With the cost of equipment, food, and electricity there is a bottom line price i need to get otherwise i'd end up losing money in the end. Breeding is not something you're going to get rich off of and you need to be doing it for enjoyment but it really doesnt make sense to keep up with it if you are constantly going negative $$$.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my clowns have resumed laying again....just in time for me to start taking down the tank....bad timing but i guess i can count on them in the future
20150321_171407_zpssdomtv4b.jpg

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ack, that would kill me! As much as I say that I will skip trying to raise the next one or two egg-layings, I can't seem to just leave them there to be wiped out. Step away from the tank and don't watch! :)
Sue

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this whole thread from the beginning. So very cool. Maybe i missed it, but i are you shipping any? Would love to have a pair of your tankraised clowns.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Philfree, thanks for taking the time to go through the thread. I hope you found it informative! To answer your question, I havent shipped any fish via mail yet. I'm not against the idea but you'd have to weigh the cost of shipping. You may be able to find the same type of clown locally and depending on what they're selling for it might make shipping not worth it.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness09

ReeferMadness09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sad update. Due to very bad judgement on my part and an assumption that somebody else knew what they were doing my clown pair along with many other fish in my display has died.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back