My First Salt Tank! | 40B

RT417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my build thread!
I've been in the hobby for about two years now with exclusively freshwater tanks, afraid to make the jump because I misunderstood lots of things about saltwater. I watched some of the BRS 52 series and though "Hey, that doesn't look too tough at all!"

This thread won't be revolutionary by any means, but I thought it would be a really fun way to document my progress on my setup and share my experiences with others.

The Tank
Originally I was going to go with an IM Nuvo Fusion Pro 30L, but then I remembered that I'm a 'broke college student', and that I couldn't afford to spend $450 on the tank alone. Eventually I decided that a Dollar per Gallon tank was the way to go and soon the sale started, so I showed up at opening time on the first day of the sale and brought 'er home.
tank.jpg

The Stand
Here's a little sketch I did to figure out how much lumber I needed and in what lengths. I work at a hardware store so I just used the saw there to cut my 2x4s.
standplans.jpg
sawtable.jpg

A few days later, construction began!
rightangleclamp.jpg
innerlegs.jpg
standprogress.jpg

Too many hours, and a lot of screws later, the tank's looking good.
tankandstand.jpg

"Where's the rest of it?"
The tank is very much a work in progress, because of the 'broke college student' thing, but I'll continue to update as it comes together.

"So what's the plan for it?"
The very next step is to buy some plywood or paneling to finish off the stand, my roomate (gf) says that I'm not allowed to have naked 2x4s in the living room.
The current plan for the tank itself is to set it up as an AIO with a Fiji Cube filter box. Start out with just live rock and clownfish, then gradually add more creatures, including corals.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Very nice start. A 40B is a great size tank to start with!

Some free advice: plan ahead for how you are going to explain to your room mate (gf) when you are ready to swap out that 40B for a bigger tank! Get her involved with some of the fun stuff like what critters you will keep!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 40B has great dimensions and is a great starting point! It looks like you’re off to a good start!

OP
OP
RT417

RT417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Very nice start. A 40B is a great size tank to start with!

Some free advice: plan ahead for how you are going to explain to your room mate (gf) when you are ready to swap out that 40B for a bigger tank! Get her involved with some of the fun stuff like what critters you will keep!

The estimated cost for this tank already includes a new fancy coffee machine for her, haha, but yeah I'm absolutely going to get her involved. She has expressed an interest in keeping her own tank previously, and her parents have a cichlid tank, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R @RT417 !!! Great start with a 40B. I also start with the 40B on a low budget. Let see how that peninsula goes. Following>

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job with that stand, looks solid. You planning to coat the wood with something? My suggestion is epoxy resin, it’ll look good and be real durable

OP
OP
RT417

RT417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Looking good so far! Looking like your making into a peninsula tank?

That's the plan! Not 100% sure on it yet though, this is about the only spot where I could set it up like that. Still trying to find the right balance of all the things you have to consider with tank placement.

OP
OP
RT417

RT417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job with that stand, looks solid. You planning to coat the wood with something? My suggestion is epoxy resin, it’ll look good and be real durable

I wasn't planning on it, shouldn't see them a whole lot anyways after I get some panels and doors and such built in. Could be useful for protecting from the water, but if I've got enough water going down there to affect the structural stability of the wood I've probably got way bigger problems, haha!

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot! Another 40 Breeeder Build can't wait to see it develop!

I had the original fiji cube on my 40 breeder and eventually removed it, but I understand they have made some serious changes since the 1st gen.

OP
OP
RT417

RT417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot! Another 40 Breeeder Build can't wait to see it develop!

I had the original fiji cube on my 40 breeder and eventually removed it, but I understand they have made some serious changes since the 1st gen.

40B club whoop whoop! I actually saw your build thread a while back when I first joined here. I'm a little worried about the fiji cube, but generally from what I've seen people are happy with it, it's tough to find a solid review on it because most people just go with a sump.

I'm thinking about going with AI Prime HDs as well, but might just end up going the black box route, even being more budget oriented lights they're way more expensive than I would like. I'm certainly not going for anything demanding and sensitive anytime soon, but it may be better for me to just spend the money now, even if it is quite a bit.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back