OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one of these for about a year of off and on use. It is now running in my new tank with a Nero 3. Mine is the MLW 5. My only complaint is you can only have 2 programs a day. If they can’t do unlimited at least give more than 2. Being able to change it to 4 programs a day would have been plenty.
I think it is yet an another restriction makes no sense.
I just wish there would be a way submitting suggestions to them to modify their design of the app. Currently their website still have no information about the MLW line let alone the app.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked on ebay, aliexpress, and Amazon. The Jebao MOW is significantly more expensive than the coralbox qps and the Jebao SOW. I like the "OW" models as they swivel. About $60can more if I go MOW.
Do you know what the differences are between the MOW and MLW models? I thought maybe only one had the app but I see both of them feature this. Is the only difference that the MOW swivels. I like this feature as well so would buy this over a non-swivel type. For example the specs on the MOW-3 look exactly the same as MLW-5 other than the shape of the powerhead. Are there other differences?

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the differences are between the MOW and MLW models? I thought maybe only one had the app but I see both of them feature this. Is the only difference that the MOW swivels. I like this feature as well so would buy this over a non-swivel type. For example the specs on the MOW-3 look exactly the same as MLW-5 other than the shape of the powerhead. Are there other differences?
The shape is different and LCD controls are MLW feature only
A52122F1-A796-4F53-B17E-C78154A0BE0B.jpeg
0289CC2D-47EE-4E9E-BCDE-A54B2C1A65C4.jpeg

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the intellectual property (IP) rights argument interesting. If Jebao or any other china manufacturer wanted to go big or go home and replicate the echotech mp40 I could understand that argument.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shape is different and LCD controls are MLW feature only
A52122F1-A796-4F53-B17E-C78154A0BE0B.jpeg
0289CC2D-47EE-4E9E-BCDE-A54B2C1A65C4.jpeg
What do you mean the LCD controls are MLW only? I see an LCD featured with the MOW series. Is there something specific on the MLW LCD?

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a swl wave maker. I was unaware of any ip theft but was surprised to see how much it resembled the nero3. My hygger mini crapped the bed and I needed a small wave maker asap. I can't recall why I went with jebao (maybe because the hygger stopped working after 5 months) but it has done well so far.I won't drone on about it's flaws, it is what it is for that price point. I might rethink supporting them in the future but for now I'll worry about supporting my tank

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
no it only lets me put 2 modes per 24hr. yours showed you have 4 modes running in a 24hr time
Yes, it is 4 different modes during a 24 hour cycle. It is actually split into 5 segments. I did not encounter any limits while setting it up. I can try to walk you through it if you could dm me.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one of these for about a year of off and on use. It is now running in my new tank with a Nero 3. Mine is the MLW 5. My only complaint is you can only have 2 programs a day. If they can’t do unlimited at least give more than 2. Being able to change it to 4 programs a day would have been plenty.
Can I ask how it compares to the Nero 3?
Size of unit, strength of flow, variability of flow (ie: how does the min flow of the MLW 5 compare to Min flow of Nero 3 and same for Max flow).
Also, does Feed mode on the MLW switch the pump all the way off or does it just dial it down? (I use a Nero 3 in a Pico and Feed Mode is 1% flow, which is still way too powerful in a small tank.) It would be great to be able to have it power off for 10 mins at the press of a button, instead of requiring manual "Pump Off" then "Pump On".

Also, does anyone know if you can "group" different types of "M" series pumps in the App to be controlled together? Contemplating adding one of the MDP DC controllable pumps as a Return Pump in my 20 gal and I like the idea of being able to control the flow of both MDP and MLW pumps together at feeding time or night - especially being able to hook them both up to a single "Feed" button to wind them down or switch them off.
I like the idea of Apps for programming and configuring equip but I miss having a physical button for quick on/off/pause changes when working around the tank. I love that the Jebao has both.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how it compares to the Nero 3?
Size of unit, strength of flow, variability of flow (ie: how does the min flow of the MLW 5 compare to Min flow of Nero 3 and same for Max flow).
Also, does Feed mode on the MLW switch the pump all the way off or does it just dial it down? (I use a Nero 3 in a Pico and Feed Mode is 1% flow, which is still way too powerful in a small tank.) It would be great to be able to have it power off for 10 mins at the press of a button, instead of requiring manual "Pump Off" then "Pump On".

Also, does anyone know if you can "group" different types of "M" series pumps in the App to be controlled together? Contemplating adding one of the MDP DC controllable pumps as a Return Pump in my 20 gal and I like the idea of being able to control the flow of both MDP and MLW pumps together at feeding time or night - especially being able to hook them both up to a single "Feed" button to wind them down or switch them off.
I like the idea of Apps for programming and configuring equip but I miss having a physical button for quick on/off/pause changes when working around the tank. I love that the Jebao has both.
Unfortunately I am not able to compare it with Nero 3. Hopefully someone will chip in for that. I cnow all WiFi enabled wave makers can be grouped together as long as they are compatible with the app. If listed you can group them.
feeding time on the wave makers are completely stop them. I have tried that.
over all I still like this pump. Some of the limitations I mentioned in the original post looks to be possible. I just wish the app would be more intuitive.

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these wavemakers forever, and replaced them with the same after about 5 years with the same again, and with the return pumps too same make, as for any copying shenanigans going on well the whole world's been at that sugar (keeping it clean) for donkey's ions, everyone's been copying everyone else's ideas, I'm in the automotive trade as soon as a new car is released we buy, as a customer and strip and examine and get innovative ideas, it's how we build a future, we should really all work together on everything, like the ozone layer, we worked together spread our knowledge and banned cfc's from being used in production and put into our fridges etc etc and we fixed it (almost} we can do some good sugar when we work together :)

Back