my fish died

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we have a picture of the tank and/or water change area or if anything was on your hands (sunblock, cream, spray ... anything?).

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that she’s against your LFS testing your water. She, like the rest of us, is trying to look out for you. Your LFS may well use accurate test kits and procedures but I guarantee they are in the 0.0001% that isn’t putting their interests before yours if that’s the case. They’re there to make sales. Just remember that. Most LFSs intentionally use inaccurate tests and give questionable advice at best.

While it’s true that not everyone on R2R is an expert, several people I very much look up to in this hobby (and many others here do too) have given you awesome advice and you’ve been fighting them the whole time. Like one of them said, your free to do what you want with your tank and I’d add that you’re free to take the advice you’ve been given and accept or reject it, Just be very wary in this day and age of ANYONE wanting to sell you something.
She you’re referring to is actually a he .
but that’s neither here nor there .
the point is advice from any lfs whether they’re in it to make a sale or shoot them selves in the foot to honestly help someone . The point i was trying to make is instead of trusting a lfs or anyone for that matter … it’s your investment why not take control of that one part of this rather expensive hobby
We can’t control where corals or fish are collected , where we buy them or what they have been subjected to prior to being added to our tanks .
but we can control water quality !
to invest a large amount of money into something. Why not start off with the best water , high quality hobby grade test kits?

that’s all from me !
Have a wonderful night. -and happy reefing

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the point is advice from any lfs whether they’re in it to make a sale or shoot them selves in the foot to honestly help someone . The point i was trying to make is instead of trusting a lfs or anyone for that matter … it’s your investment why not take control of that one part of this rather expensive hobby
We can’t control where corals or fish are collected , where we buy them or what they have been subjected to prior to being added to our tanks .
to invest a large amount of money into something. Why not start off with the best water , high quality hobby grade test kits?

that’s all from me !
I think there are a lot of reasons people don’t make their own water or test their own water: space, time, upfront cost, physical demand…. We should try to focus our replies on how to constructively help the asker based on their unique reef system.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% understood, my intention wasn’t to fight anyone, a dead fish is frustrating but what’s even more frustrating is trying to explain over and over again that my LFS doesn’t use api or test strips. I’m not worried about the lfs trying to sell me something or give me bad advice I’ve know the guy since before I can walk he does the water tests in front of me. I’m here trying to figure what’s going on with my fish nothing else, if I’m able to rule something out then that should be it on to the next idea but that hasn’t been the case. A forum should be about discussion I’ve listened for to every idea and have been able to rule out most of them. I’ve been to two lfs and tested my water at home in the last 24 hours all tests having the same outcome which is the water is fine so with that being put out there I would’ve appreciated more insight about other possibilities rather than saying something snarky like “it’s your tank you do what you want” to me that scream “my opinion matters above all others” and that’s not the case.
We know water was tested at the lfs and by you .
But …. Being spring water ,
Can we rule out any impurity ?
Natural springs can and will have elevated tds which can be almost anything ( anything that can be dissolved could be in that water .
I completely agree with you this can be very frustrating to lose fish . Especially when the same water was used on multiple tanks but only one tank was effected .

all I was trying to suggest is trusting a lfs is great . We all don’t have that opportunity as mentioned by others . They are essentially sales men and need to put bread on the table for their families . If you had the chance to take control of the only thing you can ….. it would take that much more guessing out of the seemingly frustrating hobby

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that’s all from me !
Sorry @Rmckoy I done messed up. lol

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We know water was tested at the lfs and by you .
But …. Being spring water ,
Can we rule out any impurity ?
Natural springs can and will have elevated tds which can be almost anything ( anything that can be dissolved could be in that water .
I completely agree with you this can be very frustrating to lose fish . Especially when the same water was used on multiple tanks but only one tank was effected .

all I was trying to suggest is trusting a lfs is great . We all don’t have that opportunity as mentioned by others . They are essentially sales men and need to put bread on the table for their families . If you had the chance to take control of the only thing you can ….. it would take that much more guessing out of the seemingly frustrating hobby
Yeah, I agree, the water is the big unknown here. I studied hydrogeology and worked in a water science lab. From this knowledge and experience base, I can verify that bottled water labeled Spring Water has zero standards applied to the labeling. That means bottled Spring Water can just be any old municipal tap water. There is no guaranteed consistency or filtering required. The composition of water changes frequently even from the same source. Spring brings surges of nutrients and minerals and bacteria blooms. There could be an impurity such as an elevated element your fish are sensitive to, or it could be some treatment chemical that persisted. Given the fact that these were fish you had for a year and you used the same process, the most likely variable that changed was the water.

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely unrelated does anyone know what snail this is?

Attachments

• 867E7A99-D6EB-490B-BEA2-9157B66E5D9E.jpeg
    867E7A99-D6EB-490B-BEA2-9157B66E5D9E.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 22
  • C41FA07D-F4AE-4078-833A-617DB9FDB19F.jpeg
    C41FA07D-F4AE-4078-833A-617DB9FDB19F.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 21
  • B8F372CD-7765-4377-AF3A-14FBFC159644.jpeg
    B8F372CD-7765-4377-AF3A-14FBFC159644.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 21

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not any nassarius I've ever seen- those look like whelks to me. Potentially carnivorous.

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any nassarius I've ever seen- those look like whelks to me. Potentially carnivorous.
I knew it had to be one or the other, I took them out just in case, I'll leave the left over food consumption to the brittle star and the hermits no need for something that would potentially prey on something else living in the tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nassarius will go after dying fish as well, though admittedly a lot of things will do that. IMO, ideally you want to just not have much leftover food, and to have a population of microfauna (amphipods, bristleworms, micro brittles) that will take care of a few scraps.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back