My fish jumped out of the tank

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue sided fairy wrasse jumped out of the tank a few hours ago I guess and I JUST found him..

I have a hood on my tank, it's just raised about half an inch and somehow he managed to position himself perfectly through it.

He was my daughters pink fish, she named plants. Mixed emotions but mostly sad to of lost a loved member.

I'm going to miss him spitting water at me waiting to be fed. I haven't told her yet, she's in bed.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad ….

Funny thing … the reefing idea started when my daughter was younger and she wanted fish .

She named every fish .
Sadly every time one jumped I didn’t have the heart to tell her . But would take her to the lfs and offer to buy her a fish as it was just as exciting to pick out a new one .

15 years later and I have never been questioned where digger the sand sifting goby went .

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue sided fairy wrasse jumped out of the tank a few hours ago I guess and I JUST found him..

I have a hood on my tank, it's just raised about half an inch and somehow he managed to position himself perfectly through it.

He was my daughters pink fish, she named plants. Mixed emotions but mostly sad to of lost a loved member.

I'm going to miss him spitting water at me waiting to be fed. I haven't told her yet, she's in bed.
That’s a shame to hear about your fairy. But hey, maybe another species of fairy (or other) wrasse is out there waiting :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunate and wrasses and blennies/gobies are notorious leapers and even end up in overflows

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first diamond watchman goby and it ate great the first day. Woke up the next morning and I never saw it again. I went to the lfs for a replacement and they were sure it had jumped and my cat or dog ate it because I never found it. I couldn’t figure out anyway it could have found a way out. The replacement has been going strong for over a year and a half.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my mandarin goby leaving the cover open one day by a few cm. Came home to a big pile of dog vomit. Found out the fish was missing a few days later. I was devastated, favourite fish.
RIP blue sided fairy wrasse

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my beloved Midas Blenny because of my cat. Stupid cat spent every day jumping up and smacking the fish tank over and over, finally scared the midas enough that he made the jump through a small opening. I found it laying on top of the glass top baking under the Kessils.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Just my 2 cents but IME, fish jump out of tanks for one of two reasons, either 1) water conditions are less than ideal 2) the fish is being bullied. There maybe more reasons but IMO 90% of jumps are because of one of these two.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Just my 2 cents but IME, fish jump out of tanks for one of two reasons, either 1) water conditions are less than ideal 2) the fish is being bullied. There maybe more reasons but IMO 90% of jumps are because of one of these two.
Ive also found fish can accidentally jump during courting rituals. Especially dragonet pairs that will go to the surface and jump unintentionally. The same can and does somewhat often happen when people have breeding pairs of wrasse.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think cats eat them .
I’ve found them on the carpet and the cat looking at them .
Really? thats a well fed cat I suppose…. my cat makes sport of them 1st …I’ve rescued 1 or 2 live ones… otherwise if a fish goes M.I.A I dont bother looking

OP
OP
foxyfuchsbau

foxyfuchsbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can see that, he was one of my OG fish (first fish after my clowns). He was actually my indicator if something was off in my tank, if he wasn't as active or chilling in a tunnle/archway, I'd know something was up. He was never a big jumper, my goby did it more than he did. Thanks for the input!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry that happened to you!

fawadalam4514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that. It's always heartbreaking to lose a fish, especially one with a personality like your wrasse. They can be such characters, and the little quirks like spitting water always endear them to us even more. It's surprising sometimes the small gaps they can find and jump through.

Breaking the news to your daughter is going to be tough, but it's an inevitable part of keeping pets, I guess. Maybe you can frame it in a way that it's a natural part of life and sometimes these things just happen, even when we do our best to care for them.

You might consider getting a mesh top for your tank. It allows for proper gas exchange while preventing fish from jumping out. I've seen many wrasses and other jumpers benefit from that added security.

Again, my condolences. It's always hard losing a pet, and it sounds like Plants was quite special. Sending you and your daughter strength during this time.

Warm regards,
Fawad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back