My fish suddenly died tonight

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With strong illumination, lots of algae growth, a trickle filter with air pumped into it, and a good skimmer, you can achieve mild oxygen supersaturation conditions in a reef tank. This is safe and generally beneficial to your animals, but on the other hand, not at all necessary to have a successful reef (and nobody uses trickle filters anymore, anyway.) Dangerous oxygen supersaturation, which can actually hurt fish and other animals, is highly unlikely with systems and techniques typically used by hobbyists, although I believe a weir might be able to cause this if used incorrectly.

Use of ozone, by the way, does not increase your dissolved oxygen levels directly. It may help to do so indirectly, by oxidizing dissolved organic compounds which would otherwise use oxygen to decompose.
I run a moderate flow on the bottom 12" of the tank due to having a mandarin so he gets to hunt the frozens down with more ease at the bottom of the 24" high tank. The top half of the tank has great surface tension from to Jebao SW-4 wave makers. An HOB Reef Octopus BH1000, Fluval C4 HOB, and a Seaclone Protein skimmer modified into a chaeto reactor. So 3 things pouring into the tank with outside of the tank air.
There is one 420 Hydro powerhead in the back glass/middle of the tank area to push a light water flow into the live rock to use the live rock for a filtration in theory.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you simplify how it works? I'd like to get a general idea.

From an answer in my build thread

It is a rather low tech construction but in the same way a totally genius combination of different physical principles. The ground construction is a acryl bottler with a little (very little) hole in the bottles cap. You fill it up with hydrogen peroxide (mostly 6 % but up to 12 % can work). You put in some catalysts (the number will decide the dosing rate). The catalysts is done of a clay probably containing some trace elements of some metals. You cap the bottle and put it upside down in a clay pot. (One type – there is some other constructions also) To have the bottle to stay down in the pot (it will be filled with oxygen gas during the process) you put a counterweight over it. Put the whole construction were you want it – I have mine in the return compartment of my sump.

The function is as follows. Inside the bottle – the catalysts will breakdown the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to water and free oxygen radicals (o-). These will form oxygen gas that will expand the volume in the bottle. This will create an excess pressure that slowly press pure hydrogen peroxide through the tiny hole and up along the clay walls (also here the clay will serve as a catalyst). The free oxygen radicals (released from the peroxide (when it pass the clay walls) will react with the nearest molecule it meet. If it is another free oxygen radical – it will form oxygen gas – if it is an organic molecule – it will oxidize it.

The oxydator will attack yellowing organic substances in a chemical way – as ozone will do. Active carbon will absorb the same substances. I know that the oxydator take care of yellowing substances (I can see it clearly :)) – If it works against toxic organic molecules as active carbon is believed to do - I do not know but I think it will at least do the same as ozone

Pictures

0-jpg.583802

1-jpg.583803

2-jpg.583805

3-jpg.583806

4-jpg.583807

5-jpg.583808

Sincerely Lasse

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Lasse Thank you. I actually understood that. Very interesting.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who could say no to a pair of little clowns? I happen to know a shop owner close to you.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] You are persuasive! Lol okay now I’m curious about the shop though. I’ll message you!

I love clownfish, but if I were to dive back in, I would maybe want to change my sand out for bare bottom and I would get new rocks. So then I’d have to cycle again. Ugh. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back