my floating reef, what do you think?

Rabi51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen. I wish I could do that on a much snaller scale on my 60 gallon.
You are awe inspiring!

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I recently had the chance to take a few pics.
That is the result, what do you guys think?

I think I am on a good track with my Acropora-Garden, but still a long way to go.

1.jpg

PM Display.jpg
That looks beautiful. I love tanks that are original.

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those people just have reef envy. Ignore them.
Ignore me? I don't think that is necessary. I was the one who said it looked unnatural. It is my opinion, and you don't have to agree, but you should at least respect what others have to say.

I understand that natural ocean reefs have shelves of rock and coral, but I think that the shelf is too flat and uniform for a small environment like a tank. When I picture a rock shelf on a reef, I also picture the surrounding rock structure. This tank looks like it was a chunk out of a reef, which is a good thing, but in a tank I don't quite like the look of the structure on its own. However, if the tank were much larger, and the OP's current structure was surrounded by other rock structures, it'd look fine to me.

What I'm trying to say is I like the appearance of a tank that is a shrunken-down reef, rather than a piece of a full-size one. Does that at least make sense? I like the corals the OP has, but the rock structure isn't for me.

After all, the title literally says "what do you think?"

Reefphd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you!
I understand when people say it looks unnatural.
Its right, it is not the common Thing you see in a reef.... somethimes you see something similar.

I wanted something unique and something not everybody has :)

I disagree that it's unnatural.
A very unique and creative reef design. I dive and have literally seen shelfs like these in the wild.

Bravo, this is a truly impressive design!

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had toyed with the idea of building a shelf in the back for depth but was not happy with any idea's I had about how to do it and certainly not on your scale. Wonderfully creative job! Some colorful sponges underneath might make it pop even more although great like it is! Love the innovation!

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it!. Less detritus trap, maximizing sand coverage for sand dwelling creatures like sand sifter stars. Multi layers platforms will create more natural looks, and great placement for corals with variable lighting demand. Just my two cents. But frankly you shouldn't entice me to rescape my tank. %$^#$#@ :D

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely very cool but I understand the "unnatural" comments. Have you ever thought about replicating something similar to the rock structure on the left side... placing in two or three more areas along the front making it appear that the shelf is resting on rock, or putting rock underneath toward the back creating the appearance of crevices instead of a floating shelf?

Neither of these ideas might be any good and what you already have is 100 times more creative than anything I could ever muster. I'm just participating in the thread because you asked for opinions.

OP
OP
Lunulata

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen. I wish I could do that on a much snaller scale on my 60 gallon.
You are awe inspiring!

we are even planning on selling something like that fully set up. :) But we would do like fully floating, no support on either side :)
Not sure tho when we can provide the price and how its gonna look :)

OP
OP
Lunulata

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore me? I don't think that is necessary. I was the one who said it looked unnatural. It is my opinion, and you don't have to agree, but you should at least respect what others have to say.

I understand that natural ocean reefs have shelves of rock and coral, but I think that the shelf is too flat and uniform for a small environment like a tank. When I picture a rock shelf on a reef, I also picture the surrounding rock structure. This tank looks like it was a chunk out of a reef, which is a good thing, but in a tank I don't quite like the look of the structure on its own. However, if the tank were much larger, and the OP's current structure was surrounded by other rock structures, it'd look fine to me.

What I'm trying to say is I like the appearance of a tank that is a shrunken-down reef, rather than a piece of a full-size one. Does that at least make sense? I like the corals the OP has, but the rock structure isn't for me.

After all, the title literally says "what do you think?"

totally understand you :)
tastes are different and this is how it should be...otherwise we would all have the same tanks. I really wanted to hear opinions, there are always cons about something. I always looking for constructive contra to improve myself :)

OP
OP
Lunulata

Lunulata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely very cool but I understand the "unnatural" comments. Have you ever thought about replicating something similar to the rock structure on the left side... placing in two or three more areas along the front making it appear that the shelf is resting on rock, or putting rock underneath toward the back creating the appearance of crevices instead of a floating shelf?

Neither of these ideas might be any good and what you already have is 100 times more creative than anything I could ever muster. I'm just participating in the thread because you asked for opinions.

yes I have been thinking of that.
But I like the effect that everybody is curious about how it looks... I wanted to reach exact this situation. :D
After all I thought it even would have been better to build it totaly floating rather than have one site touching the bottom :)

I have lots and lots of ideas of nice varieties of unique tanks :D maybe if I get bored of that one, you guys see something else then :D

LJC6780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's quite interesting. I might like to see some random rocks around or maybe a small curve out front or something. It almost looks too high to me. My eye needs something else either underneath or in front or something. Neat idea though. [emoji4] Beautiful corals!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back