My Green BTA

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted earlier but off another persons post, so not correctly so here goes. As you can see my green BTA has lost it's color and has shrunk in size. My tank is only about 6 months old, a Fluval flex 32 gal reef tank. I added a 207 tank filter in addition to the one that comes with the setup. My Green BTA is very sad, it was doing great when I got it about 3 months ago, and yes way to early to put in the tank I read after I got it. I purchased 2 tank raises clownfish at the same time and one of them decides to make its home in the BTA a couple days later. I have fed it a few times when it's mouth was open a couple of times weekly small frozen shrimp. I used some Bright well A and B as directed on bottles a few days ago. I saw some red film algae so I cleaned the tank yesterday using a a new bamboo tooth brush on the rocks and did a 5 gal water change. I checked all the parameters and all were good except for the magnesium which it high at 1440. Is there anything I can do to help my Emmy?

IMG_20210920_193322150.jpg IMG_20210921_104857397.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely need to upgrade the lighting on the fluval tanks. The lights are really only sting enough for softies and very little lps
Reason its color is because of the lighting

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting is probably key, so might I ask what your lighting schedule is like? You may have to compensate to some degree with a longer duration to make up for limited intensity or less than ideal spectrum. Getting an AI Prime (used on eBay if price is an issue) would probably go a long way here. Also, doing more regular feeding may help if they aren't getting adequate photosynthesis.

Also, the fact that you mentioned making a single 5 gallon water change makes me want to ask two things: What are your alkalinity and pH? And then (somewhat related), what is your water change schedule or two part dosing schedule (if not doing regular changes)? If you haven't been keeping up on sizable changes or dosing at all, you might be seeing decreased levels over time. Not saying that is a definite, but those two parameters (alkalinity and pH) would be more important to a 'nem than Mg. And just for thoroughness, where are you targeting the salinity?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a large a water change as soon as you could, when I ever I see a coral like that I try and do a minimum of 75%. Water quality is first over lighting. If lights are weak they extend and try and reach higher towards the light. If light is to strong they shrink and hide under rocks. When they look like that its water conditions

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting could definitely be an issue, as could be lack of feeding, water parameters and one of the clownfish annoying the heck out of it while it’s not doing great. I think there’s too many issues going on to fix with one silver bullet here.

If I were to place this anemone in my tank I’d give it a better than even chance of survival, because I know my lighting level, water parameters, feeding and reef inhabitants aren’t factors (I have 3 anemones thriving).

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting could definitely be an issue, as could be lack of feeding, water parameters and one of the clownfish annoying the heck out of it while it’s not doing great. I think there’s too many issues going on to fix with one silver bullet here.

If I were to place this anemone in my tank I’d give it a better than even chance of survival, because I know my lighting level, water parameters, feeding and reef inhabitants aren’t factors (I have 3 anemones thriving).
It’s not a lack of feeding. Anemones don’t need to be fed, and you can’t compensate for inadequate lighting with more feeding. Trying to feed an anemone in this state is only going to stress it out more. The immediate issue is likely water quality and the longer term issue is lighting.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a lack of feeding. Anemones don’t need to be fed, and you can’t compensate for inadequate lighting with more feeding. Trying to feed an anemone in this state is only going to stress it out more. The immediate issue is likely water quality and the longer term issue is lighting.
Everyone’s assuming water quality because it’s the easiest change, but we don’t know the actual water parameters. More likely it’s a combination of things: lighting, infrequent feeding, water quality and the clownfish. Anyway, I don’t have a dog in this fight - good luck OP.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 30 years of raising these professionally, I can tell without guessing what issues are even possible. The guy above is correct, they don't need food, ever. They will grow larger with food but will stay perfectly healthy without any food. It's not a combination as much as water quality. Without that nothing else really matters

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The immediate issue is likely water quality and the longer term issue is lighting.
Thats the best I can tell too. Its a new tank and may not be seasoned well, a huge water change would be a great start. and yes his lighting can use help. Hope it works out for him

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Are you feeding it? Mine love a small piece of brine or mysis. I also supplement with plankton and calanus every day.
I have been feeding frozen shrimp with a tweezer but I read somewhere to leave it alone so I did. I ordered some plankton and fed that this morning and gave her some frozen shrimp this evening. Thank you for the advise.

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine the stock lighting on the fluval flex would cause it to lose it's color over time.
I have the additional light strip that Fluval sells for this tank. Should that be enough or should I look into something else and if so is there anything you would recommend?

OP
OP
Burray

Burray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting is probably key, so might I ask what your lighting schedule is like? You may have to compensate to some degree with a longer duration to make up for limited intensity or less than ideal spectrum. Getting an AI Prime (used on eBay if price is an issue) would probably go a long way here. Also, doing more regular feeding may help if they aren't getting adequate photosynthesis.

Also, the fact that you mentioned making a single 5 gallon water change makes me want to ask two things: What are your alkalinity and pH? And then (somewhat related), what is your water change schedule or two part dosing schedule (if not doing regular changes)? If you haven't been keeping up on sizable changes or dosing at all, you might be seeing decreased levels over time. Not saying that is a definite, but those two parameters (alkalinity and pH) would be more important to a 'nem than Mg. And just for thoroughness, where are you targeting the salinity?

I have been doing the 5 gal water changes weekly since it's only 32 gal but less of water and testing weekly. The ph is always at 8.0 and yesterday's all was 9.9. Salt is at 0.126 Nitrite and ammonia 0ppm but Nitrate is 5 ppm. Cal at 400 and mag is high 1420 yesterday. I do have the additional light strip that Fluval sells for the tank but will look into the one on eBay you noted. I dozed with bright well A and B that is when she started looking lighter but has always seemed to look down and be hungry. I've stopped the A and B but started using bright well Coral amino and she has a tiny bit of color. I appreciate all the feedback and if there is anything else I should be doing.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_175946530.jpg
    IMG_20210930_175946530.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 28

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back