OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nice to see tanks with full size colonies in it growing. I cannot wait for my tank to fill in over the next few years.
Great looking tank.

Corey

Thank you :)

Such a beautiful reef!!
Thank you as always Daniel.

Hi Rick, beautiful tank! This coral is stunning!. Does it have a name?
Yes, that one is Jason Fox Yellow Sub favia, it was a must have after I saw another members here, I’m glad I got it, it has turned into a real show stopper!

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you :)

Thank you as always Daniel.

Yes, that one is Jason Fox Yellow Sub favia, it was a must have after I saw another members here, I’m glad I got it, it has turned into a real show stopper!

Thank you for the reply. Will add this to my wish list. It is definitely a show stopper!

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1F2EBD44-5D5B-4477-B103-F37D195F5EB5.jpeg

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, Rick

:)

FYI:
So far my Alkatronic has been... rock solid

I’m glad to hear that Freddie. My GEO CaRX has been flawless as well! It’s nice to have stuff that just works like it’s supposed to. Seems to be a somewhat rare occurrence these days!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to hear that Freddie. My GEO CaRX has been flawless as well! It’s nice to have stuff that just works like it’s supposed to. Seems to be a somewhat rare occurrence these days!

Rick,
Feel the same here.
(lol) Keep finding four leaf clovers... :D

Your reef is just wonderful.

:)

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you cleaning your pumps, if at all? I’d imagine flow is reduced a bit with what I see on them?
It’s been a few months, it’s funny you mention it, I decided earlier today that it’s time to start that process again. I’ll probably be scraping the back glass as well. It usually ends up being a 2 day process, mostly because I don’t rush through it. There is definitely a significant difference in flow once the coralline is gone.

Wounderful tank.

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you so much Lasse!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a few months, it’s funny you mention it, I decided earlier today that it’s time to start that process again. I’ll probably be scraping the back glass as well. It usually ends up being a 2 day process, mostly because I don’t rush through it. There is definitely a significant difference in flow once the coralline is gone.

Thank you so much Lasse!

Awesome. Good work brotha. Yeah I notice huge improvement with even cleaning the impeller, but clean grills help tremendously.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t take much to slow things down. I’m sure the Tunze pumps aren’t putting out much flow, their intakes are likely severely restricted. I admit I let them go too long. Usually I notice an increase in alk consumption after a cleaning lol

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t take much to slow things down. I’m sure the Tunze pumps aren’t putting out much flow, their intakes are likely severely restricted. I admit I let them go too long. Usually I notice an increase in alk consumption after a cleaning lol

Omg. You’re right. Lol. I just noticed that too

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg. You’re right. Lol. I just noticed that too

The Tunze aren’t the most efficient design of propeller pumps and they are a pain to clean (can’t detach the pump from the controller) but they’ve been pretty reliable and they are paid for so I’ve been hesitant to replace them. The Panta Rhei pumps are easy to clean, I unplug the pump and put it in a tub of vinegar and let it sit for a few hours, a quick brushing and rinsing and they are ready to go back in. (I have a spare pump that’s pre cleaned that I swap out with the one soaking). You can tell a big difference in the tank turbidity right away. A more motivated person (than myself) would realize that keeping them clean with frequent cleanings would probably yield an overall growth increase. I figure I’m mimicking seasonal tidal changes by not cleaning my pumps, at least this is how I am justifying my laziness... which I subsequently justify to myself as “not wanting to interfere”. :D

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze aren’t the most efficient design of propeller pumps and they are a pain to clean (can’t detach the pump from the controller) but they’ve been pretty reliable and they are paid for so I’ve been hesitant to replace them. The Panta Rhei pumps are easy to clean, I unplug the pump and put it in a tub of vinegar and let it sit for a few hours, a quick brushing and rinsing and they are ready to go back in. (I have a spare pump that’s pre cleaned that I swap out with the one soaking). You can tell a big difference in the tank turbidity right away. A more motivated person (than myself) would realize that keeping them clean with frequent cleanings would probably yield an overall growth increase. I figure I’m mimicking seasonal tidal changes by not cleaning my pumps, at least this is how I am justifying my laziness... which I subsequently justify to myself as “not wanting to interfere”. :D

lol. I love my Tunzes. My 6105s can push water 8’ from end to end when cleaned. It’s nuts.

Excellent work in this hobby.

OP
OP
Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank, the color is insane!

If you use chemical media, what do you use? Carbon, Chemi-pure, etc.?

I use 500 ml of Triton’s activated carbon for a month, then I go a month without carbon. It’s a strange routine that’s developed from the way this tank has responded to carbon. It’s placed in a bag in a high flow area of the sump, and pretty much forgotten about for a month. When my reminder pops up to replace it I just remove it, the next month when my reminder pops up, I’ll replace it. (Sometimes I go longer without replacing it, it just depends on what’s going on in the tank and how I feel). Other than that I don’t use any other media, just a big skimmer. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back