My little upgrade! 60gal cube

Jorge Linares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody to my first build thread.

I've been off and on in the hobby for around 7 years. My fist tank was a brand new Innovative Marine 10 gal that I keeped for about a year. It looked great but I wasn't prepared for the commitment at the time and sold it. I had a young family that took up most my time and rightly so. Man were the boys sad and I sure did miss it.

Fast forward to two years ago and I picked up a used 29gal biocube complete with used sand and rock. It was filthy but I thought I could clean it up. Rookie mistake. This tank has been an eyesore. Scratches everywhere, hard to clean and all the traps of used sand and rock. Still I was happy to have a small reef back in my life and the anticipation of a new build when I truly was done with this one.

IMG_0035.JPG

After two years a finally found a good deal on great tank. Here is my new build.

A 60gal custom built cube, stand and sump. I drove three hours over a mountain pass with my 12 and 7 year old boys to pick it up. Family trip!

IMG_9555.JPG IMG_9554.JPG

I decided to modify the sump a bit. First I turned the ato chamber into the return chamber. Made the transition into an adjustable height skimmer chamber. I then cut a new hole from the filter sock chamber into the skimmer chamber and re-plumbed. I also removed the black vinyl from behind the tank(looks more open!).

FullSizeRender 8.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg IMG_9628.JPG

I also built an algae reactor.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Next I added some decorative trim and repainted.

FullSizeRender 9.jpg FullSizeRender 4.jpg

It's now in the living room with rodi water going in for a leak test and leveling.

IMG_9756.JPG IMG_9763.JPG IMG_9760.JPG

For the rock I ordered 30 lbs of pukani rock from BRS. I'm aware of some of the issues people get with this rock, so after some research I came up with a plan. First I soaked it in tap water and bleach for several days. Then I dumped the water and rinsed it with the hose. Then I went through three treatments of lanthanum chloride rinsing between each one. The final treatment never clouded the water. Next I rinsed and soaked the rock in rodi water and added dechlorinator. I did this three times then left it out to dry. I now have it on the dining room table to aquascape. The plan is to have an open scape but strategically created for lots of coral.

FullSizeRender 7.jpg IMG_9705.JPG IMG_9707.JPG IMG_9762.JPG

Summary:

Tank Specs

Display:
60gal 24" custom cube
Sump: 17.5" x 17.5" x 16" acrylic three chamber
Lighting: 2 AI Hydra 26 HD's
Heater: 300w ViaAqua & Finnex Max-300 digital controller
Circulation: Accel Aquatics Wide Vortex Twist Flow Accelerator, 2 Jebao PP-4's(for now) hooked up to a JBWave Controller.
Skimmer: Bubble Magnus Curve 5
Algae Reactor: Marine Sources Aquarium 4,500ml reactor, Amazon Topled strip led grow lights & pump from biocube
Dosing: Jebao DP-4
Return Pump: Jacod DCT-4000
Rock: Pukani
Sand: CaribSea Aragonite Special Grade
Additives: RedSea Reef Care Program. (already have it but considering Aquaforrest)
Livestock: A pair of clowns, a royal gramma, a six line wrasse, cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs and snails. Various Coral.
The Plan

Once I get the scape and sand in I will seed with Dr Tims one and only. I will also be putting some blocks of MarinePure I have in the biocube into the the sump for further diversity. The aquascape will be open to allow for high flow. I plan on a mostly an SPS tank but will also have some of my favorite LPS and softies in there. I will emplament the Red Sea program as soon as livestock is moved over. A step I am very nervous about. The reactor will run Chaetomorpha and I'm hoping the added water volume will keep it more stable then I could get with the biocube. For livestock I plan on removing the six line wrasse to avoid aggression. I want to then add a Chalk Bass, McCrosker's wrasse, Poters wrasse, a goby of some sort(maybe a Hi Fin) and possibly a Kole yellow eye tang but I'm not sure yet. I'm sure others will follow. I also want more interesting looking hermits and inverts. As the tank matures I will be investing in a good camera and macro lens for better shots.

Thanks for following along and I promise to update regularly.

OP
OP
Jorge Linares

Jorge Linares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leaks! It does get scary full when shut off. Might need to lower the level in the return chamber but then I'll probably need to make some baffles so it's not to loud.

image.jpg

On another note I freak when I thought the skimmer didn't work but it's just rodi water. Noob.

Toddp65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great--I'd love to see the algae reactor in operation

OP
OP
Jorge Linares

Jorge Linares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've literally been slowly chipping away at my scape. Pukani is so easy to work with. I can actually use a saw to make shelf pieces. A chisel can get right in there.

IMG_9801.JPG

Here's some caves I've made.

IMG_9806.JPG

IMG_9805.JPG
IMG_9803.JPG

I feel the caves need a little more work then I can start putting it together.

Thanks for following along.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jorge Linares

Jorge Linares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the cycle begin

I started yesterday by adding sand, water then salt. I let it run over night to settle and today added Dr. Tims One and Only and his ammonium chloride. The current directions say to use 4 drops per gallon but the bottle says to use 1 drop so I went with 1. I also through in a couple of pieces of Marine Pure block I had in my biocube. I will follow his recipe for testing and dropping. Hopefully all goes as planned and I can add fish soon.

Here's some progress pics.

RODI water goin in:
IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

Salt, Red Sea Coral Pro:
IMG_0750.JPG

Dr. Tim's:
IMG_0756.JPG

Marine Pure from biocube:
IMG_0765.JPG

Thanks for following along.

OP
OP
Jorge Linares

Jorge Linares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question with Dr. Tim's. On day 7 (if all goes as planed) it says to add fish. I will be moving over 2 clowns, a royal gramma and a green chromis at some point. The clowns show some territorial aggression, especially to my hand which can be startling, so they will be close to last. I'm wondering how many fish to add on day seven. For now I'm thinking a chalk bass and a firefish to start but would there be a better number for the newly created bio filter? Thanks

IMG_0038.JPG

OP
OP
Jorge Linares

Jorge Linares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been stuck at 2ppm ammonia for over six days. I think I had a dud with Dr Tim's.

IMG_9892.JPG

IMG_9893.JPG

IMG_9894.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!! I love that scape!

OP
OP
Jorge Linares

Jorge Linares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Cycled! I think the bottle of Dr Tims was a dud. I ordered some Biospira and within 48 hours it's started to move.

IMG_9928.JPG

After a couple more days the nitrites dropped and it's done. I'll be doing a 25% water change today and adding the first fish. Probably a firefish.

IMG_9953.JPG

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Flash is looking great. I had the same experience with Dr Tim's. Others have reported similar longer cycles. I had to use Microbacter from Brightwell. Love your aquascape good luck

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back