my mandarin diner

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as some of you know, i've gotten my mandarin to eat frozen blood worms. i've had him for about a year and a half.

as of right now, the pod population in my 50g tank is pretty much gone, thanks to him, a sixline wrasse, and a coral banded shrimp.

the mandarin hasn't been looking to well lately, and he is difficult to spot feed as he takes forever, and the other fish usually get the food before he does.

so i cut up this water bottle today and put some food in it, took him about 10min to find it and get into the bottle and start eating.

of course, the snails also figured out how to get in and pushed the mandarin out.....lol

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. I have had great sucess feeding my fish with blood worms. I feed that more than i do mysis now. My possum wrasse would not even think about touching any food other than pods for the first 7 months. The first time i put blood worms in, she went nuts.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the frozen cubes from hikari. The package says Bio-Pure vitamen enriched blood worms.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can i buy blood worms??? Are they live or frozen??

they are frozen, i've never seen live ones......but that would be kinda cool.....but kinda creepy....lol

chris used to have frozen blood worms at his old store, just ask him. i didn't look when i was there as its kinda a long drive to get frozen foods.

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leapord wrasse lives on "live blood worms". In florida , at least in my area, most lfs stock live bloodworms. It's $2.00 for about 100-150 worms. They will last in the fridge for about 2 weeks.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did'nt. Someone once told me that no fish can resist live bloodworms. So, I tried them, and within 20 seconds, he was in the mix slurping them down.

same here, although i wouldn't say he "slurps" through them. he picks through them very slowly. sorta like when he's hunting pods.

he wouldn't touch the blood worms just floating in the water like you normally feed fish, i would have to spot feed them onto the sand right where he was for him to notice them.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jar bit really works, I was skeptical at first to till I saw it the first time. It's almost like they know exactly whats going one......Cool pics Al.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bloodworms broke my green clown goby of his month long hunger strike. When I bought it, he was really shy and skinny. I never saw him eat anything and he showed no interest in any foods that I added to the tank. One day I added some bloodworms and he went nuts. Since that day, he eats anything I put in the tank.

Bloodworms are even more enjoyed that Cyclopeeze, IMO.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm surprised only 1 person has said anything to me about that little mummy eye frag sitting over on the right hand side of the picture. lol!!

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surfn,
I noticed that frag and it looks great! Can I be first in line for a frag? ;)
Can you give more specifics on how you made that bottle feeder? You said that you cut it, but I can't see any cut lines. Did you glue it back together? Maybe I just can't see the lines to well on this office computer.
Thanks!

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surfn,
I noticed that frag and it looks great! Can I be first in line for a frag? ;)
Can you give more specifics on how you made that bottle feeder? You said that you cut it, but I can't see any cut lines. Did you glue it back together? Maybe I just can't see the lines to well on this office computer.
Thanks!

that little frag is gonna go up on the CZ classifieds for auction this weekend since lots of people want one. ;)

as for the bottle, i just took a typical bottle of water, cut the top part off, cut the bottom part off, threw out the middle, and just slid the top half into the bottom half. no glue or tape necessary as they will fit snugly together. took about 5min.

of course, i could have just used the entire bottle and not cut it at all, but my tank isn't big enough to toss in a big water bottle.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back