My new Captive Bred Green Mandarin Dragonet from AlgaeBarn (Pod Hotel)

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I want to start documenting my captive bred Green Mandarin Dragonet from Algae Barn. Her name is Moose :) I was shocked by her size when she was delivered (0.75 inches). So far she is extremely active (always looking for pods) and is eating frozen brine shrimp.

I will be dosing 3,000+ tisbe pods in my refugium in a few days and will also be creating a "Pod Hotel" with mesh and liverock to make sure this lil girl has plenty to eat. I will also be documenting the progress of my pod farm.

Any advice, comments, questions are always welcome.

Now, for some Moose pictures:

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of one of my pigs... was a skinny rescue when I got her last year... struggled to get her fat until the introduction of the pod hotel...

20180214_094353.jpg

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the pod hotel I made. Really basic $2.00 plastic jar from Walmart. Made sure it was the correct type of plastic too (type that doesn't leach chemicals into your system). Half of the container is filled with rubble rock. I will be stuffing the other half with chaeto once it is delivered this week from AlgaeBarn.

IMG-5310.JPG

IMG-5312.JPG

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been able to get a picture of her the past couple of days :( she's being extra sneaky. I am going to try again tomorrow.

-BG

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cute! I got a Biota mandarin a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at how tinny he is! He doesn't eat anything larger than 0.25mm though... how are you feeding the brine?

JAM-MAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cute! I got a Biota mandarin a couple of weeks ago and was shocked at how tinny he is! He doesn't eat anything larger than 0.25mm though... how are you feeding the brine?
Are you putting the Biota Mandarins in quarantine?

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really apologize for the delay; student life has been really busy. I know its very late, but here are the pictures as promised. I know they aren't the greatest, but she's still pretty small. I'll post some better pictures in the coming days.

Anyways, Moose is doing great. She's maintained a full belly since the time I got her as a baby and does really well around all of my other fish. She's definitely increased in size, but is still a tiny fish. Her patterning changed from a turquoise to a really nice dark blue. Believe it or not, I've only dosed a single dose of copepods (right after my tank cycled), and the population has been thriving and more than sufficient enough to keep her belly full. As she gains more mass, this could start to change, but there's been no sign of my pod population decreasing.

Happy Reefing!

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed these pictures but she is just adorable!! We had a dog Moose that passed away last year so her name is extra special to me as well. Precious. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back