My new power center with individual on/off switches

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is all plugged in and running. I checked each switch and everything works great! Still need to mount it, not sure how I'm going to do that yet.

Owp3ZTfl.jpg
don't forget you still have to unplug all the things you've got plugged into it when you need to clean them. That's the only negative I see with this type of device. Plugging items back in can get rather tricky if you do too nice a job installing it cleanly.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't forget you still have to unplug all the things you've got plugged into it when you need to clean them. That's the only negative I see with this type of device. Plugging items back in can get rather tricky if you do too nice a job installing it cleanly.
Yeah but that goes for any kind of power strip or even the apex. Units will have to be unplugged. I'm going to mount it So the back is easily accessable

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a much simpler, smaller, cheaper one on Amazon with the brand name Rosewill. With individual switches.
I saw those, and thought about getting it, but that one I believe has 6 outlets and I needed 10 :)

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very nice looking, haven't seen that one before. I have used the DJ style one on my last couple of tanks. I have my Apex plugged in also. Water changes are soooo easy. Pull out my phone with my Apex controls, push the feed cycle B I have programmed to turn off main pump and skimmer for 20 min. Suck out water from sump with shop vac. Pour in new water, and everything turns back on a few minutes later.
IMG_20170429_105942.jpg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very nice looking, haven't seen that one before. I have used the DJ style one on my last couple of tanks. I have my Apex plugged in also. Water changes are soooo easy. Pull out my phone with my Apex controls, push the feed cycle B I have programmed to turn off main pump and skimmer for 20 min. Suck out water from sump with shop vac. Pour in new water, and everything turns back on a few minutes later.
IMG_20170429_105942.jpg
Nice! that is a very clean set up, i love it!

chris fullwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i built for a tank i'm building for a friend, has 2 timer controlled outlets. and can have 4 of the outlets removed, if say an apex was installed. when its finished it will be installed on the side of the stand, with its own doors, and will simply have a single cable to plug into an available outlet.

20170730_131306.jpg

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i built for a tank i'm building for a friend, has 2 timer controlled outlets. and can have 4 of the outlets removed, if say an apex was installed. when its finished it will be installed on the side of the stand, with its own doors, and will simply have a single cable to plug into an available outlet.

20170730_131306.jpg
Wow, that's pretty sweet, but it looks a little more complex then my knowledge goes lol. ;Joyful

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20170730_131306.jpg
The material cost and the time consumed to make one and sheer size of it, I don't see why someone would go this route and not just buy something like what OP posted.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just came in today! I bought a surge protector power center that has an on off switch for each individual outlet. It can be mounted in the cabinet or sit along the side. I'm excited to get it home and hooked up. Now I can turn off individual components instead of unplugging the whole power strip from the wall when doing my water changes :)

3wZrO7Yl.jpg

We are thinking along the same line... this is what I purchased...

IMG_4629.JPG

I purchased two. I have 12 outlets on rocker switches and two outlets which are "always on". They are made by Tripp-Lite (reputable company) and I only paid 20 bucks each.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The material cost and the time consumed to make one and sheer size of it, I don't see why someone would go this route and not just buy something like what OP posted.

I'm very much into DIY. And this is exactly what I had in mind when I first came up with the idea of each device on its own switch. I wanted 10 outlets. When all the parts were purchased, it was over $130.00, so I decided to go a different route and purchased the tripp-lite strips I displayed earlier.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of picking one of these up, I was wondering what the width of the unit is at the base? Can't seem to find any dimensional information on it.

Simply__J

@MoriReef45
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are thinking along the same line... this is what I purchased...

IMG_4629.JPG

I purchased two. I have 12 outlets on rocker switches and two outlets which are "always on". They are made by Tripp-Lite (reputable company) and I only paid 20 bucks each.
I use one of these on my system. Works great. I used a clear tape label maker to identify everything. One light did go out though.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of picking one of these up, I was wondering what the width of the unit is at the base? Can't seem to find any dimensional information on it.
TNpQq57l.jpg

gzJsyApl.jpg

MwePqtZl.jpg

Hope these help!

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use the ADJ power strip, but then I saw this thread... Thats pretty.

Though now I think I might go with a smart power strip such as this one:
Iron-m WiFi Smart Power Strip Surge Protector, 4-Outlet 4-USB with 5-Foot Cord, Remote Control via Smart Phone, Work with

Looks pretty slick and would be nice to be able to turn it off remotely should the need arise.
This would be perfect if they made something with more outlets on it :) I suppose you could always buy two though...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back