My new SPS Tank

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This pic is not good, just to see the coral size after 1.5 years

Maybe I buy a cheap Chinese T5 fixture...doing my research yet and I´m thinking about frag some corals that the shape is not good in my opinion

capayoutube.jpg
@Roberto Denadai, I love your reef! Absolutely beautiful!! I'm sorry to hear of your lighting issues. Have you come to any solutions?

MarkDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Robert ,

really nice Tank . Im in the Hobby for 6 years now and have had a few acropora´s but starting to really get into them now . What are you doing for Nutrient Control like Nitrat and Phosphat ?

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Robert ,

really nice Tank . Im in the Hobby for 6 years now and have had a few acropora´s but starting to really get into them now . What are you doing for Nutrient Control like Nitrat and Phosphat ?

I do not do anything :) My no3 is zero and my po4 is around 0.01 / 0.03.

When I started this tank I used rowaphos, but now there's no need anymore, because my corals consume all the po4 that I add ( fish food )

Cheers

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Roberto - what's your perspective on dosing in smaller SPS heavy tanks (e.g., under 40 gallons)? I'm looking for a simple dosing system - and looking at carbocalcium or kalkwasser. I have minor concerns about clogged dosing lines.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences here - love the simplicity of your systems.

MarkDE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not do anything :) My no3 is zero and my po4 is around 0.01 / 0.03.

When I started this tank I used rowaphos, but now there's no need anymore, because my corals consume all the po4 that I add ( fish food )

Cheers
Oh hey , thank you for answering . I think its very Interesting that the Corals are enough to keep your Nutrients down . My Po4 is always low but my Nitrate like´s to stay at the higher range of 10-20ppm but its slowly coming down :)

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank and your method are absolutely incredible! Glad I found this thread as food for thought before setting up a new 200g system. This literally goes against everything I’ve read, watched, and seen on these forums about starting and running a tank.

One hesitation in trying this method (you said yourself this is your first time doing a tank this way) is that it seems like a huge risk adding a fortune in corals to an uncycled tank hoping that the amount of chaeto and corals is enough to deal with the amount of ammonia. I’m buying into the theory behind the method, but if the balance between ammonia production and absorption is off, isn’t this risking disaster?

Also you mentioned kalk not being sufficient long term; what will you change to or add and at what point do you make that decision?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, now using 8x39W T5 ( Pacific Sun Fixture )

2.jpg

Brother your tanks looking amazing as always. I would dare to say that with the t5’s I would put money down that the corals will start to have a much fuller more even growth form. The only one I would personally be worried about is the green austera just because they take up so much space once they get to that size they blow up quickly. For some reason i am suprised your birds nest and poci did not explode with growth. I always had trouble keeping them in check. I think they do that with more nutrient rich tanks though which I would say yours is not :)

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

New video, hope you guys enjoy :

No3 = 0 ( salifert )
Po4 = 0 ( Hanna )
Alk = 7.5 ( Hanna )

[youtube]

Looks great! Any tips to keep the glass and water so crystal clear? I feel like my tank is cleaner than most but this is a whole different level!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i've noticed a lot of t5 users have their lights not far off the tank. How far are yours?

OP
OP
Roberto Denadai

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Any tips to keep the glass and water so crystal clear? I feel like my tank is cleaner than most but this is a whole different level!

Strong flow , BB tank , sharkbag , low no3 and po4
This tank and your method are absolutely incredible! Glad I found this thread as food for thought before setting up a new 200g system. This literally goes against everything I’ve read, watched, and seen on these forums about starting and running a tank.

One hesitation in trying this method (you said yourself this is your first time doing a tank this way) is that it seems like a huge risk adding a fortune in corals to an uncycled tank hoping that the amount of chaeto and corals is enough to deal with the amount of ammonia. I’m buying into the theory behind the method, but if the balance between ammonia production and absorption is off, isn’t this risking disaster?

Also you mentioned kalk not being sufficient long term; what will you change to or add and at what point do you make that decision?

You don´t need to try this method, but if you do, you can do a water change if you notice some ammonia.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back