My reef-pi build

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally was able to flash my card, update and install reef-pi. I followed the video that I seen and along with my step son helping me out was able to get it. I do have a few questions now that its installed. I have the rasberry pi hooked up to my router and at this point all I do is type in its ip address on my computer to get to this screen. How do I get it so I can access it without being attached by a cable to my router. The other question is how come the time does not keep up on the screen?

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally was able to flash my card, update and install reef-pi. I followed the video that I seen and along with my step son helping me out was able to get it. I do have a few questions now that its installed. I have the rasberry pi hooked up to my router and at this point all I do is type in its ip address on my computer to get to this screen. How do I get it so I can access it without being attached by a cable to my router. The other question is how come the time does not keep up on the screen?
Here is a pic, also I forgot to mention I did have the unit unplugged overnight.
20181124_071518.jpeg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool.
You will need to set up a remote viewer like VNC. If you go into your raspberry pi preferences and select the configuration tab you can enable VNC and SSH from there. (Assuming you are running a PI3 with a GUI)
You will have to go to the RealVNC webpage and create an account. https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/
Once you have created your account you can download VNC viewer on the device you want to use. You can download it right from their website for your PC or Mac and from the app store for android devices like a tablet or phone. Not sure about Iphones.
You will need to run VNC connect from your Rpi and login with the account info you used to create the VNC account. Just click the VNC button on the rpi task bar and follow the prompts.
Once all that's done you should be able to login to your Pi from any device you want.

Hopefully all that makes sense.

IMG_4100.JPG

IMG_4101.JPG

IMG_4106.JPG

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool.
You will need to set up a remote viewer like VNC. If you go into your raspberry pi preferences and select the configuration tab you can enable VNC and SSH from there. (Assuming you are running a PI3 with a GUI)
You will have to go to the RealVNC webpage and create an account. https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/viewer/
Once you have created your account you can download VNC viewer on the device you want to use. You can download it right from their website for your PC or Mac and from the app store for android devices like a tablet or phone. Not sure about Iphones.
You will need to run VNC connect from your Rpi and login with the account info you used to create the VNC account. Just click the VNC button on the rpi task bar and follow the prompts.
Once all that's done you should be able to login to your Pi from any device you want.

Hopefully all that makes sense.

IMG_4100.JPG

IMG_4101.JPG

IMG_4106.JPG
Thank you very much for your help.

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still having a problem. I have the headless version so I do not have the screen you do. My sceen shot is just reef-pi login screen. I have vnc on my phone but how would I access it on my raspberry pi?

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked my rpi up to a monitor using an hdmi cable. Added a mouse and keyboard then used the rpi gui to set everything up on the pi.
If you haven't already you need to activate to VNC connect on the pi. The you can go in from your phone and use it to remote into your pi.

There's a way of doing this without hooking it up to a monitor but I don't know how to do it that way.
Here's link to the info to do it headless.
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/10251/prepare-sd-card-for-wifi-on-headless-pi

BlakeFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress made. I was finally able to resolve my internet problem. I am now able to remote access from anywhere.
I did download reef-pi, found the folder , installed it, but I can't seem to open it.

I used SSH for most of the configuration and installation and then grabbed the IP to type into my browser on my laptop, which was connected to the same network. In the terminal or SSH you can ping raspberrypi.local or hostname.local to get the IP address. I never tried this but if you are remoted into the pi, you should be able to use the local browser.

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used SSH for most of the configuration and installation and then grabbed the IP to type into my browser on my laptop, which was connected to the same network. In the terminal or SSH you can ping raspberrypi.local or hostname.local to get the IP address. I never tried this but if you are remoted into the pi, you should be able to use the local browser.
I am using vnc for my remote. I will have to look further into it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread... following along. Hope your build is going well!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, started my board and my outlets. It will be an 8 channel setup. The soldering on the board I thought went pretty well.
1543603611310.jpeg
1543603628968.jpeg
1543603690979.jpeg
1543603676976.jpeg
Neat and clean. The ULN2803 GND connection is one pin off I think. Electrical outlets, do you need two white wires? those pins are not connected?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back