OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was playing around with the temp probe and mine seems to only work with a 10k resistor. I did try the 4.7k resistor but I can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone else have this problem?

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes wire length is a factor in what resistance works best, I've heard of people using very long cables with only 2.2k ohm resistors.

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres no real calculation that anybody has come up with, if it works fine with a 10k resistor then just use that.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand this right, I will have to figure out what temp probe length I need then figure out what resistor to use?
Theres a lengthy documentation on this. @Erica-Renee had went through this at length for her builds. I just find playing with 4.7K/10K resistor and 3.3V or 5V power supply easier :)

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a lengthy documentation on this. @Erica-Renee had went through this at length for her builds. I just find playing with 4.7K/10K resistor and 3.3V or 5V power supply easier :)
Wire type and voltage also plays a big roll. I am using what i think is 32g CAT3 .

there is a link in this thread somewhere about a cave scientist who went 10,000 m or more with the same temp sensor we use putting a sensor ever 10 m to see how temp changes deeper down.. I built mine off his research .

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on my box waiting for my temp probe and optical sensor for the ato to come in. I have a question reguarding the ato. If I wanted to use floats how would I wire them in?

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on my box waiting for my temp probe and optical sensor for the ato to come in. I have a question reguarding the ato. If I wanted to use floats how would I wire them in?
Something like this works for mechanical switches.

mechanical level sensor circuit.jpg

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted. The Mike Lane boards look nice. @Bigtrout used one for his build and really likes it.
Yes so far so good with the Mike Lane board, it has performed flawlessly! There is a header or connector for everything you could want, its only weakness is it only uses 9 channels of the PCA9685, but thats easily solved by adding another PCA adafruit board if you need more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been at a stand still waiting for the board so I decided to play around with a case. Which one do you like better? The plastic case only needed a couple of holes cut for ato and temp sensor where the metal case would rquire more work. The pi hat only has the ato and temp circuits. I have not put in the outlet controls as of yet.
20190206_100554.jpeg
20190206_093343.jpeg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been at a stand still waiting for the board so I decided to play around with a case. Which one do you like better? The plastic case only needed a couple of holes cut for ato and temp sensor where the metal case would rquire more work. The pi hat only has the ato and temp circuits. I have not put in the outlet controls as of yet.
20190206_100554.jpeg
20190206_093343.jpeg
I like the clear case. I just find it amusing to see the internals :)

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my board from Mike Lane and first impression is WOW! I really do like the board a lot. I have been playing around with it for a few days now and I hope to have it up and running within a week. I have a relay on order due to 1 of mine quitting. I am also trying to figure out actually how many outlets I need controlled by reef-pi. This has been a long process but I was not looking for quick results.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady, learn as you go.
Mike designed a nice hat for an all around build, was the same price as buying a pca board, a perma proto board and jumpers, to me it was a no brainer!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back