My reef-pi build

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can run 2 temp probes from the same circuit.
Use the outlet you have programed for the sump light and use that to assign the light to a timer to turn it on and a second timer to turn it off.
Here's how I have mine just on the opposite schedule of what you want.

Sump light timers.PNG

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can run 2 temp probes from the same circuit.
Use the outlet you have programed for the sump light and use that to assign the light to a timer to turn it on and a second timer to turn it off.
Here's how I have mine just on the opposite schedule of what you want.

Sump light timers.PNG
Thanks

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing my practice board and all seems to be working. Ordering parts for the ato. I am waiting for some parts so I can do my final board. I was thinking how to use my stainless temp probe in my tank and came up with this for an idea. I used my 3d pen and made a bracket, drilled the cork and I can put water in the test tube and hang it in the aquarium. I will be test this out for a few days. The bracket is not pretty, but is very functional.
20190104_211222.jpeg
20190104_211244.jpeg

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd fill it with something thermally conductive so it reacts faster to temperature changes in the tank. Mineral oil perhaps?

That would probably work to keep the probe from rusting. I have a couple extra laying around I'll give the mineral oil a try and see how it does. I was also thinking about silica based sand or straight silicone. Right now I have my probes covered in about 1/16" of silicone and only have .2 degrees variation in my temp readings.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would probably work to keep the probe from rusting. I have a couple extra laying around I'll give the mineral oil a try and see how it does. I was also thinking about silica based sand or straight silicone. Right now I have my probes covered in about 1/16" of silicone and only have .2 degrees variation in my temp readings.

Silica sand would probably be no worse than the test tube, so a good idea :)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been testing my practice board and all seems to be working. Ordering parts for the ato. I am waiting for some parts so I can do my final board. I was thinking how to use my stainless temp probe in my tank and came up with this for an idea. I used my 3d pen and made a bracket, drilled the cork and I can put water in the test tube and hang it in the aquarium. I will be test this out for a few days. The bracket is not pretty, but is very functional.
20190104_211222.jpeg
20190104_211244.jpeg
This is very cool . I noticed @Erica-Renee published a heater holder design in Thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3225468

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When building the doser, do I have to also purchase a new raspberry pi or can I just use 1? The only things my controller would do is temp., outlets, water level, and doser.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When building the doser, do I have to also purchase a new raspberry pi or can I just use 1? The only things my controller would do is temp., outlets, water level, and doser.
Try with the existing pi. I am using dedicated unit, since the peristaltic pump is mounted in controller housing, and i didnt want all other circuit in same place as the pump. You certainly dont have to follow that route. I would say first test out the peristaltic pump control with l293d and existing pi's pwm output. If things look alright, then go ahead and decide on enclosure/mounting for peristaltic pumps

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem today with my temp probe. I believe the probe is bad. I deleted the temperature from reef pi but I still am getting this error. I think I have to delete the database and restart reef pi but I don't know the command. Looking for some advice on this.
Screenshot_20190109-162324_Chrome.jpeg

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem today with my temp probe. I believe the probe is bad. I deleted the temperature from reef pi but I still am getting this error. I think I have to delete the database and restart reef pi but I don't know the command. Looking for some advice on this.
Screenshot_20190109-162324_Chrome.jpeg
Remove the Temp monitoring in the UI Dashboard settings. Its trying to show you charts for hardware you deleted..

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190104_211222.jpeg
20190104_211244.jpeg

I was thinking about the same thing but using an old API test tube and silicone to seal it in the tube.

Hey guys, sorry been away learning CAD :confused:! I designed a temp probe potting tube and hanging arm for it. I'll post it on Thingiverse if you want and have access to a 3D printer?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back