My SPS Waterbox Peninsula Mini 15

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have to dose NO3 after all. Nothing will benefit from 0ppm of nitrate besides the algae/dinos that are taking up the nitrate. Trust me, you don't want dinos this early on

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have to dose NO3 after all. Nothing will benefit from 0ppm of nitrate besides the algae/dinos that are taking up the nitrate. Trust me, you don't want dinos this early on
I'm not as quick to fix anything because of #'s, preferring to use my eyes first and #'s to support. I have dosed KNO3 in the past on a previous tank and it's a judgment call if it did anything at all. I'm also not sold on low nutrients (or 100% dry rock) = dinos. There are way too many variables to go into that assumption. However, I just don't know what will happen. Much of what my tank is doing is somewhat opposite of what I thought it would do. Hang on tight!

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not as quick to fix anything because of #'s, preferring to use my eyes first and #'s to support. I have dosed KNO3 in the past on a previous tank and it's a judgment call if it did anything at all. I'm also not sold on low nutrients (or 100% dry rock) = dinos. There are way too many variables to go into that assumption. However, I just don't know what will happen. Much of what my tank is doing is somewhat opposite of what I thought it would do. Hang on tight!
Gotcha. If you are feeding heavily with low nutrient readings and showing no signs of algae, the true question is "whats consuming the nutrients?" And from my research and understanding dinos can arise from a combination of low nutrients, low biodiversity, sudden change to parameters (water and lighting), etc. Dinos are in every reef tank but are dormant until the conditions are optimal for them to compete with other microflora. From my personal experience, I believe I got dinos when my NO3/PO4 bottomed out for a good period of them in combination with setting up a new light. I'm not saying you're going to get dinos but just be aware of the ULN as most coral and normal microflora (beneficial bacteria) use NO3/PO4 for metabolic activity. Just my 2 cents.

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm also running at undetectable NO3 and PO4 per Red Sea pro. Upped my feeding and added another fish about 5 days ago. One interesting correlation is I also dosed my DT w prazipro, my last dose being a week ago. Since I started treatment is when I started reading zeros for NO3 and po4. I've read a couple threads that correlate with this situation, but have found no solid evident of prazi causing false readings or actually dropping nutrients.....thoughts ??

Christian.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm also running at undetectable NO3 and PO4 per Red Sea pro. Upped my feeding and added another fish about 5 days ago. One interesting correlation is I also dosed my DT w prazipro, my last dose being a week ago. Since I started treatment is when I started reading zeros for NO3 and po4. I've read a couple threads that correlate with this situation, but have found no solid evident of prazi causing false readings or actually dropping nutrients.....thoughts ??
After looking at the ingredients and chemical structures, I do not believe it interferes with the nutrients (graduating with a Biology degree in less than a month). I did see some people say they had difficulty with nitrate test readings but that could have just been anecdotal. Yet again there is always the possibility that unnamed ingredients can cause such issues. That's all I got lol

bherbold8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the ingredients and chemical structures, I do not believe it interferes with the nutrients (graduating with a Biology degree in less than a month). I did see some people say they had difficulty with nitrate test readings but that could have just been anecdotal. Yet again there is always the possibility that unnamed ingredients can cause such issues. That's all I got lol
Yup that's all I can ever find haha it's interesting though if my nitrates bounce back this week I may just have to prove this theory hah

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. If you are feeding heavily with low nutrient readings and showing no signs of algae, the true question is "whats consuming the nutrients?" And from my research and understanding dinos can arise from a combination of low nutrients, low biodiversity, sudden change to parameters (water and lighting), etc. Dinos are in every reef tank but are dormant until the conditions are optimal for them to compete with other microflora. From my personal experience, I believe I got dinos when my NO3/PO4 bottomed out for a good period of them in combination with setting up a new light. I'm not saying you're going to get dinos but just be aware of the ULN as most coral and normal microflora (beneficial bacteria) use NO3/PO4 for metabolic activity. Just my 2 cents.
Yep, that's what makes this interesting. I don't know where this is all going. I definitely have color on my rocks (the good kind), corals consume it as well. If you read from the beginning you'll know that I didn't start the usual way of X item in a bottle as well. I also very carefully ramped up (still am) my lighting. Everything was as methodical as possible based on my experiences. My rocks, who were previously live but dead for 6 years was also cooked beforehand separately. Why my tank is like this could be any of this and then some.

I got to zero NO3 before my Prazi dosing. I went from ~20 ish to zero thanks to too large of water changes, I think.

I agree there shouldn't be any true correlation but I'm not an expert.

Sit back and enjoy the ride! :)

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crab climbing up the tank wall. Most likely holding onto the silicone? Fun times.

mitly9W.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a good looking reef tank.
You are right to do things slowly. I would not worry too much about the low NO3.
There might be many reasons for it and the tanks is still maturing. By giving it time, you will learn more than to change things too quickly.
I am sorry about the mysterious loss of the clownfish.

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a good looking reef tank.
You are right to do things slowly. I would not worry too much about the low NO3.
There might be many reasons for it and the tanks is still maturing. By giving it time, you will learn more than to change things too quickly.
I am sorry about the mysterious loss of the clownfish.
Thank you very much and I completely agree!

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
i see in the pictures you have the Nero 3 in the back under the return. How do you like this?
Mine is on the side glass up front thinking of moving it to the back.
How is the magnet in water working?
thanks
joe

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
i see in the pictures you have the Nero 3 in the back under the return. How do you like this?
Mine is on the side glass up front thinking of moving it to the back.
How is the magnet in water working?
thanks
joe

It works fine and provides a nice circular motion. There is a slight con to that because it tends to draw the water away from the overflow instead of into it because of the suction. But I think I'm nitpicking there. Magnet seems fine.

I will be honest. I'm about to play with the flow a bit by putting an MP10 on the side (my back) wall, probably same as you. I want to see how that is for my setup before deciding if I want to keep it or revert back to my current setup.

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nero 3 on the side but the front opposite the back wall. I am just wondering if moving it to the back wall might cause the front part of the tank to be a little calmer. Still want flow of course but maybe not as strong. I am thinking if making it a zoa tank with most up towards the front away from the Nero 3 on the back wall.
What do you think about that idea?

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nero 3 on the side but the front opposite the back wall. I am just wondering if moving it to the back wall might cause the front part of the tank to be a little calmer. Still want flow of course but maybe not as strong. I am thinking if making it a zoa tank with most up towards the front away from the Nero 3 on the back wall.
What do you think about that idea?

That's doable. I have my turned up because of the SPS so they take precedent. However, I am trying to grow a zoa garden at the far right back with the rock (see any of the previous pictures). So far, I have 2 testers and they seem okay. I was afraid that the flow was too much even at that low area because it does kick up sand. However, so far so good.

jopo4343

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok do you mean the back part in the last picture with your snails and crab right? Not below the nero 3?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back