OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a couple of weeks of stringing algae, mostly on the back black wall and some on the sand. Not too bad and very manageable. Keeping up with the same maintenance schedule with a couple of extra scrubbing and siphoning it's all good again. Now very little, if any, visible algae. Everything else chugging along nicely, no change to any routine.

Still low ph (7.6 to 7.8) with the skimmer on at night to keep it from dropping too low. Alk from low to mid 7's between water changes. I don't measure anything else.

nbG8PEy.jpg

UNS 75s planning is coming along too. Tank still in the Pacific somewhere but still much to do. This image shows the plan for the stand (reinforced and modded Ikea Havsta), 80/20 for the 2 lights and how the light spill will be. Excited!

iQSZQzS.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a couple of weeks of stringing algae, mostly on the back black wall and some on the sand. Not too bad and very manageable. Keeping up with the same maintenance schedule with a couple of extra scrubbing and siphoning it's all good again. Now very little, if any, visible algae. Everything else chugging along nicely, no change to any routine.

Still low ph (7.6 to 7.8) with the skimmer on at night to keep it from dropping too low. Alk from low to mid 7's between water changes. I don't measure anything else.

nbG8PEy.jpg

UNS 75s planning is coming along too. Tank still in the Pacific somewhere but still much to do. This image shows the plan for the stand (reinforced and modded Ikea Havsta), 80/20 for the 2 lights and how the light spill will be. Excited!

iQSZQzS.jpg

Looking great!

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always says the file is too large yeah definitely hope that they will start having meets again!
Oh right. I assume you have access to software than can lower the file size? If not, an easy way to do this is to open that image on your screen then use the "snipping tool" to grab a snip of the image. Then save that as a jpeg and it will usually save an a low resolution enough to upload.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh right. I assume you have access to software than can lower the file size? If not, an easy way to do this is to open that image on your screen then use the "snipping tool" to grab a snip of the image. Then save that as a jpeg and it will usually save an a low resolution enough to upload.
I'm taking screen shots and no matter how small I do it it's still too big :(

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you open your picture on your computer, shrink it (a lot). Then take the snippet. It's just an avatar so it doesn't have to be big.
I just could not do the same one that is on here. I was able to get one, but I had to shrink the picture on google and then take a screenshot. o_O

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit over 5 months old.

Weekly 25 to 30% water changes, change filter floss, clean glass. Pretty low maintenance. Colorization could be a bit better but corals are growing...Can't complain as I hardly do anything. Little to no nuisance algae.

K1xQGl0.jpg

SYcYokB.jpg

UzdB76A.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in the chemistry forum several scientists are against the notion of the unassisted cycle, your thread is a breath of fresh air not only in reefing skill but reminding the public unassisted cycles can be useful not just something for nerds to do battle over

the way you made use of the unassisted cycle approach is rare rare rare and in fact if I’m not mistaken, aquabiomics said it’s not possible here:

the author directly claims that in one month wait, no useful cycling bacteria can be found.

I think the bacteria sales machine in reefing is going to be a strong competitor for dollars, and only threads like this balance the scales and market.

The main goal of bacteria sellers is to establish doubt in natural systems and cause a buying impulse in every scenario where bacteria are needed, and to have the product for sale to ease the risk.

Last edited:
Back