OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heavy breathing could be a sign of parasites, did you quaretine the fish before putting them in the tank? Maybe @Jay Hemdal can help, but unless it was showing other signs I’m not sure how easy it will be it figure out.

API is a crap test for ammonia. It always reads .25 for me whenever I used it in the past. This could be it. Maybe try a different ammonia test kit.

The easiest way to run carbon is put it in a media bag. Then you can throw it in your filter, or in the tank if need be, but it would be best it a filter. What filter do you run?
Just a hang on the back marineland penguin 150, I really dont think its parasites because I've had them for a little under 3 months and my LFS said they medicate the tanks for bacterial infections and parasites and they were there for a couple weeks before I bought them and were good.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your salinity? Any chance the person watching your tank while you were gone didn't top it off?

Just trying to see what definitely is or isn't part of the issue here.
I have a acrylic tank lid so my salinity level takes a long time to increase (like a month) and it was 1.025 before I left so I don't think that was a problem.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All very good advice!
First off, get some carbon going ASAP.
Check your salinity ASAP. If someone was watching your tank, they could have topped off with salt water and brought your numbers way up.
Do a water change now and again tomorrow, about 20% each.
Please keep us informed!

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All very good advice!
First off, get some carbon going ASAP.
Check your salinity ASAP. If someone was watching your tank, they could have topped off with salt water and brought your numbers way up.
Do a water change now and again tomorrow, about 20% each.
Please keep us informed!
Where should I get carbon and how much? Ill order it rn

I don't need to top of my tank because it has a acrylic lid and the salinity takes a very long time to change I will still check salinity when I get back in day, the person watching my tank is mainly taking care of my dog and they don't know anything about saltwater sadly (they have freshwater stuff), they only know how to feed them.

Right when I swing open my door ill start that water change lol

Ill keep updating everyone here

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of this if it because of chemicals in the water how will I know if the water is safe again for fish? Also what do I do with my frogspawn right now its very closed up.

Thanks for everyone's help so far it is very much appreciated : )

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't need to top of my tank because it has a acrylic lid and the salinity takes a very long time to change I will still check salinity when I get back in day, the person watching my tank is mainly taking care of my dog and they don't know anything about saltwater sadly (they have freshwater stuff), they only know how to feed them.

Any idea on what the temperature is? Also, has this person been sending you pics? Can you post any pics you may have, or are you going off of their word?

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aim for 78, and keep it within half a degree on either side of that.
Also, I edited my post asking if you have any pics of the issues.
Ill change it to that when I get home, yes I have many pictures and videos, by issues do you mean the fish swimming across the sand bed or was there something else you wanted to see? Let me know.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a hang on the back marineland penguin 150, I really dont think its parasites because I've had them for a little under 3 months and my LFS said they medicate the tanks for bacterial infections and parasites and they were there for a couple weeks before I bought them and were good.
LFS's medicate but rarely long enough or at high enough concentration to eliminate parasites. Like copper takes 30 days to treat. This means their fish need to be held 30 days before sale.

The medication is just so the fish stay alive until they can be sold and often dosed at subtherapeutic levels.

I am not saying this is what going on but it is good to be aware of.

Last edited:

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't need to top of my tank because it has a acrylic lid and the salinity takes a very long time to change

You can get activated carbon at just about any pet store that sells fish items. You can get it loose or pre bagged. Just get a bag and put it in your water flow somewhere. It should remove any toxins.
You mentioned having an acrylic lid. Does the lid completely cover the tank? Are there any holes in it for gas exchange? It’s possible you may have had a pH swing also.
House sitter maybe spray Lysol or something in the same room with your tank?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill check that stuff out, thanks
You are getting the best advise in 'the biz' thusfar, and that's exactly why you are NOT leaving this 'trade'.... it's a great support network. When you have recovered the balance , and have success again, you'll be able to share that with others....not only that but you'll be able to sit back and enjoy a while till the next hiccup, which will come but without such vengeance....

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you consider Seachem Prime; it won't hurt to use it. Also, purchase some PolyFilter. It has worked great for me to pull things out of the water.

The male that was swimming across the sand bed was breathing heavy, the female was completely normal. Also what does activated carbon do? sorry lol
I'd definitely use Prime. And poly filter is great too. This certainly sounds like a chlorine or ammonia issue and Prime takes care of both.

I know many people have problems with API ammonia tests but mine have always shown the right amount. The fact that you say it sometimes reads higher indicates there is some amount of ammonia in the tank IMO. Ammonia burns the fishes gills.

Seems unlikely the shells had any persistent chemicals on them.

What are they feeding the tank?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you consider Seachem Prime; it won't hurt to use it. Also, purchase some PolyFilter. It has worked great for me to pull things out of the water.
This Poly filter....I'm intrigued....I dont run a canister, but wondering if I could run it I'm my basic Aquaclear powerhead?

N8Ball666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or is 3 months really fast for LPS stocking? Maybe the tank needs more cycling time?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back