My Tips for Neptune Trident Calibration

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my tips for properly changing reagents and calibrating the Neptune Trident. Give this a try, and lmk if it works better for you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GREAT STUFF BRO!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're helping people all the time with these videos man! Your care for the community shows!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent video. Thank You. I was curious about this.

All I hear about the trident is panicking due to misunderstanding of how it works and the procedures involved.
Nice to see someone who has spent some time learning how to make it work properly.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers bud, I do enjoy following you! Please keep it up :D

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The better method to calibration is to simply test your water value with Hannah, then input those values into your calibration. You then have two testers that will match and can help identify when something goes wrong. The Neptune calibration fluid has been known to be very inaccurate with any other test kits, so its's really what you want to "believe".

I just find testing with Hannah and using those values provides peace of mind, since I also triple check those values against red sea kits when I do a calibration of the trident.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The better method to calibration is to simply test your water value with Hannah, then input those values into your calibration. You then have two testers that will match and can help identify when something goes wrong. The Neptune calibration fluid has been known to be very inaccurate with any other test kits, so its's really what you want to "believe".

I just find testing with Hannah and using those values provides peace of mind, since I also triple check those values against red sea kits when I do a calibration of the trident.
That is actually not calibrating the Trident. That just normalizes the Trident to the Hanna. I used to do that as well until I learned to properly calibrated the Trident. I have two Tridents which are kept in cal, and are pretty close to the margin of error with the Hanna checkers. The Trident is much more accurate than the Hanna checkers, it's just people like the Hannas better for some reason.

You can also check the calibration fluid before use with any other tester for peace of mind about it's accuracy before calibrating the Trident. Just keep in mind the margin of error of the test kit that you use.

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually not calibrating the Trident. That just normalizes the Trident to the Hanna. I used to do that as well until I learned to properly calibrated the Trident. I have two Tridents which are kept in cal, and are pretty close to the margin of error with the Hanna checkers. The Trident is much more accurate than the Hanna checkers, it's just people like the Hannas better for some reason.

You can also check the calibration fluid before use with any other tester for peace of mind about it's accuracy before calibrating the Trident. Just keep in mind the margin of error of the test kit that you use.
I used to use the calibration fluids too until I ran an alkalinity test on the calibration fluid after my numbers were thrown off after trident calibration. The fluid showed a 7dkh on Hannah, when it was labelled as 9.1 on the bottle. I cross checked it with red sea at 7dkh as well.

What would you believe? That's when I tossed them all, and just "normalized" it with Hannah.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the calibration fluids too until I ran an alkalinity test on the calibration fluid after my numbers were thrown off after trident calibration. The fluid showed a 7dkh on Hannah, when it was labelled as 9.1 on the bottle. I cross checked it with red sea at 7dkh as well.

What would you believe? That's when I tossed them all, and just "normalized" it with Hannah.
It could've been a bad batch. I have not experienced that issue. Normalizing it isn't all bad if just looking for trends, but the Trident when properly calibrated, is more accurate.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated!

I now see where I messed up by not getting accurate results using the Trident fluid - I wasn’t priming the sample. I assumed that was part of the calibration function. Re-reading the Trident instructions - I see that’s not the case. Why wouldn’t they just make that part of the program when you calibrate?

I’ve just been inputting my Hannah values - will give this a shot again next time.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes, but Neptune specifies to actually have the calibration fluid within 6 inches of the sample line holder, not the end of the sample line. (The orange clip) I believe the primary issue is to make sure it’s probably higher than the trident.

“For the most precise and accurate calibration, it is best to place the calibration solution so it is within 6 inches of the vertical distance of where the sample line holder is normally situated.”

IMG_6840.jpeg

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated!

I now see where I messed up by not getting accurate results using the Trident fluid - I wasn’t priming the sample. I assumed that was part of the calibration function. Re-reading the Trident instructions - I see that’s not the case. Why wouldn’t they just make that part of the program when you calibrate?

I’ve just been inputting my Hannah values - will give this a shot again next time

The priming is part of the calibration. If you follow the apex calibration task you should be all set.

What is more important is to clean off the sample line before inserting it into the fluid. There can be a fair amount of salt spray on the dry part of the line that can get in the fluid.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The priming is part of the calibration. If you follow the apex calibration task you should be all set.

What is more important is to clean off the sample line before inserting it into the fluid. There can be a fair amount of salt spray on the dry part of the line that can get in the fluid.
Ah - ok. That’s what I thought it should be. I’ve been using the task and I feel I’ve had better results calibrating to Hanna checker for Alk and Red Sea for Ca. It’s consistent whereas I feel using the Trident solution it’s all over the place.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my tips for properly changing reagents and calibrating the Neptune Trident. Give this a try, and lmk if it works better for you.

I followed your directions in this video a couple hours ago. When I pulled the sample line out of the calibration fluid and put it back in the tank I went back to apex fusion and primed the sample line like the video said. The trident started running another calibration. I started the calibration at 6pm and it didn't finish until 8pm. Do I need to un select calibration before I prime the line? Do I need to calibrate the trident again? I have half a bottle of solution left

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed your directions in this video a couple hours ago. When I pulled the sample line out of the calibration fluid and put it back in the tank I went back to apex fusion and primed the sample line like the video said. The trident started running another calibration. I started the calibration at 6pm and it didn't finish until 8pm. Do I need to un select calibration before I prime the line? Do I need to calibrate the trident again? I have half a bottle of solution left
You bring up a good point. I close the fusion app when it starts calibration mode, then reopen it to reprime the sample line later. So if you leave the app running in the background, make sure calibration (and any previous options) are unchecked when progressing through the steps. I think it will have to be recalibrated. This is a flaw in the app, as it doesn’t reset your selections after you press the orange button unless you leave the screen you are on. I apologize for not mentioning that.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bring up a good point. I close the fusion app when it starts calibration mode, then reopen it to reprime the sample line later. So if you leave the app running in the background, make sure calibration (and any previous options) are unchecked when progressing through the steps. I think it will have to be recalibrated. This is a flaw in the app, as it doesn’t reset your selections after you press the orange button unless you leave the screen you are on. I apologize for not mentioning that.
I think I got it this time. I recalibrated it after I sent you that message. I realized that calibration solution is only good for 8 hours so I did it again right away. It finally worked out. Thanks

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got it this time. I recalibrated it after I sent you that message. I realized that calibration solution is only good for 8 hours so I did it again right away. It finally worked out. Thanks
Awesome! I apologize again for not mentioning that . I also question the 8 hour thing because it doesn’t come in a sealed bottle to begin with. And people send in water samples for icp tests that take a few days in the mail, so I think it is good for at least a few days after opening. But maybe I am wrong. I’m glad you got it figured out though, and hope it works better for you. Happy Reefing!

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I apologize again for not mentioning that . I also question the 8 hour thing because it doesn’t come in a sealed bottle to begin with. And people send in water samples for icp tests that take a few days in the mail, so I think it is good for at least a few days after opening. But maybe I am wrong. I’m glad you got it figured out though, and
In your opinion is it a bad idea to use the little black filter for the sample line ? My calcium is still 50 points high. My alkalinity is closer. Magnesium is a few points low but no big deal when I compare results to hanna checker. Ive had this trident a week and im already starting to regret buying it. I've read a few posts on the trident here on R2R and most people really have problems with calcium accuracy. With alkalinity a close second. Maybe I should remove that filter. Also I have the sample line elevated above the trident. Then it drops down into the sump. I did that so I didn't get the sample line caught on the skimmer when I remove it for maintenance. I have a small red sea sump. Not much room in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back