My Wife = your wife/husband?

tnc112105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I share the tank responsibilities and livestock decisions equally. In the past year or so we ran into some issues that resulted in a lot of losses. Likely a combination of zero nutrients and under-lighting. During this time my husband lost some of the "itch", but has started to regain interest now that things are on the upswing again. I have always said that this hobby is much more enjoyable with someone to share it with.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that my spouse would at least show the same interest in my hobbies as I did in her’s. However, despite me getting interested in stuff that was important to my wife, she couldn’t have cared less about anything I enjoyed.

Fortunately, my wife left me about two years ago and now I couldn’t be happier to be single.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wife and Adam from Battlecorals think along the same lines, believe it or not. All the color and nuance is great, but it's only visible if you know what to look for and you're inches away from the tank. When you step back a few feet, all the colors blend in and you just have a box of sticks. From Adam's article on nuance:

Yep, it's true! My old tank is the last one Adam talks about; structure and basic color are what needs to be looked at. I'm currently trying to grow one that is even better, we'll see how it goes...

As for the wife, you don't get to that level of tank I'm at without having a very kind and understanding wife, or a tumultuous marriage. She lets me do my thing fully. However, I would guess in the year following that photo, when my tank looked even better, she maybe looked at the tank for an hour total, and 45 minutes of that was me forcing her to look at something I thought was cool... You win some, you lose some!

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! The tank is 100% mine, I do the maintenance, etc. When the husband asks what I'm doing, I say "fish stuff." When he catches me on another live sale and asks what I'm doing, I say "coral stuff." He never asks what I spend on fish stuff or coral stuff. He's a keeper!!! ;Joyful

On the flip side, I don't bother him about golf stuff...his sticks can cost more than my sticks (sometimes)!

Last edited:

dhboiler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife likes my tank, but cares little for what I put in it. We are both in agreement that we prefer softies and LPS as we like the flow and movement of the tank. She doesn't really care what I spend on it as long as our bills are getting paid and some money is going into savings.
Her biggest concern really is that the tank looks clean and fits into the decor of the room it is in.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my wife and I walk into a fish store I head straight over to the coral section. She slowly follows along. I'll point out a few pieces I'm interested in and her response is "Yeah, that's nice but....let's go look at the fish." So between fish and corals, guess which I have more of now.:rolleyes:;Hilarious

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I showed my wife a picture of the ever so common Vivid rainbow delight. “Honey do you like this coral? It’s an old school classic with great colors if you can pull them out”. My wife “yeah it’s pretty but it looks like the one we already have”. I’m scratching my head as my mind flashes every color and color combination in my tank. “Which one are you talking about? I ask. She points out the Garf Bonsai. Me “they are nothing alike, dark blue/purple body with bright green polyps vs white/baby blue/green inner body with blue/purple tips AND reddish polyps”. My wife shrugs her shoulders look similar to me. Who else encounters this while trying to choose corals with your significant other?
Lol look to the flip side of things. Mine wasn't really into the idea of a reef at first. Too much money etc. Then slowly started naming all the hermits, corals and fish. Then it was hand feeding with chopsticks. Then she started an instagram posting pictures and videos. Then started to take over one of my frag tables.
We have been planning a DT. She has slowly taken that over now as well. It's become a competition. Hers will be better. Her corals and the way she wants it lol.
Should have never asked her to take those pix and videos when I was at work. Probably shouldn't have gotten her into testing parameters either.
She is probably a better hobbyist than me now but it's cool. I still get what I want when she gets what she wants lol

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been about 6 months so far and I dont even have water yet. My wife asked the other day what we have spent so far and I replied "you dont want to know" she said "Fair enough" Gawd I love her!
Love it! My wife Says the same except I have to be the voice of reason to myself. SOOO TUFF

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like my wife except when it comes to naming the fish lol! She claims “rights” to the naming of them!
I hate the names of my fish for this very reason. Only ones I do like are my clowns. My Dad named the big one Nomo. So we have Nemo and Nomo. Simple and funny to those who ask.

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife thinks that every Coral is pink and green. All my corals look the same, all the corals I show her look the same and when I ask why it's because they're all pink and green.

I have every color coral.
Wow spot on. You quoted my wife perfectly. I gravitate to pinks and reds. She gravitates to greens.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heather my wife bought my first fw and reef. She I pick most of the corals she picks the fish and some of the corals. She has good taste. It's up to me not to kill what ever she picks out

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back