Mysterious illness or just flukes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there are 3 Tanks, all in different locations on my property.
But the symptomes are kinda like the same.
Going to get reef rally as mentioned above and try it after the 5th dose of prazipro if it is not getting any better.
But can a shark just don't can get velvet, or does he can get it, but can heal himself without medication?
No, sharks can develop velvet, they are just more resistant to it.

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sharks can develop velvet, they are just more resistant to it.

Jay
So treating with rally pro would be good.
I was just Stuck with the flukes since i thought sharks can't get ich or velvet, so for his behavior only flukes could be possible and that may be the reason why i couldn't find anything while microscoping, since my magnification is only 800X and wouldn't be enough for ich or velvet, since i need more than 1200X to see bacterias.
So probably i am dealing with some sort of velvet since the other fish died so fast.
Whats your opinion on that?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just Stuck with the flukes since i thought sharks can't get ich or velvet, so for his behavior only flukes could be possible and that may be the reason why i couldn't find anything while microscoping, since my magnification is only 800X and wouldn't be enough for ich or velvet, since i need more than 1200X to see bacterias.
So probably i am dealing with some sort of velvet since the other fish died so fast.
I'm not a fan of Rally Pro, in order to make it safe for invertebrates, they reduced the concentration of the drugs it contains. So - it is an alternative to use if you have fish that you simply cannot remove from a tank with invertebrates, but if you can separate them, there are better medications.

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of Rally Pro, in order to make it safe for invertebrates, they reduced the concentration of the drugs it contains. So - it is an alternative to use if you have fish that you simply cannot remove from a tank with invertebrates, but if you can separate them, there are better medications.

Jay
I don't have any invertebrates in all my tanks.
I got 4 soft corals which i can put in my fishless nano tank, so i could do full dose.
So rally in full dose would be a good choice? Or is there anything better for sharks.
And should not harm my macroalgaes, but i can separate them aswell.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any invertebrates in all my tanks.
I got 4 soft corals which i can put in my fishless nano tank, so i could do full dose.
So rally in full dose would be a good choice? Or is there anything better for sharks.
And should not harm my macroalgaes, but i can separate them aswell.
Sorry, I’m not suggesting rally at all. Other people have had better success with it, let me call one of them in - @vetteguy53081

Jay

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While they are susceptible mainly to infections, they can also get flukes, bacterial infections, fungal infections but often avoidable with good water quality. They are messy housekeepers and suffer from high nitrate. Velvet is very possible why I suggested Ruby Rally pro as you know, they cannot endure copper which is the best treatment.

I urge you to Call their facility and confirm use and dosage with one of their techs at 443-250-4811
I realize you are in Germany and it will be an international call but likely worth it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can i use ruby reef rally instead of the ruby rall pro?
Seems to be the same except the Pro is higher concentrated.
Can oly get my hands fast on the reef rally for the Pro i have to wait 1 month atleast.
Thanks in advance
Ruby Reef is milder and still addresses velvet and other conditions at a lower concentration

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef is milder and still addresses velvet and other conditions at a lower concentration
Ok, i will give it a try if you say so
Doing some Research and maybe Email ruby, because by Telephone and the different time Zonen, it is probably impossible to get a good chat.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back