Mystery snails taking over sump??

Gonj

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 27, 2021
Messages
187
Reaction score
64
Location
miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these small snails all over my sump, filter socks, etc. I haven’t seen any in the display as of yet. I do have 2 turbo snails in my sump so I’m not sure if it’s possible they laid some eggs that hatched ? I doubt it as they seem to be really flat. I attached some pictures of one of the bigger ones I was able to pull out.

CB8E1677-9463-4ED9-8BAF-1F1619423924.jpeg 15091797-C198-44F3-ADA9-CFA135EDAAE8.jpeg E9E768D3-B19B-49A7-8A9A-23C15F64A44C.jpeg
 
I've just recently had a small explosion of these guys too...estimating about 350-500 between the sump and 100g tank. So far they just seem to be scouring the glass and rocks eating algae so I'm going to assume "good fauna" for now. Will definitely focus on minimizing nutrients to keep their population in check.
 
Limpets are definitely good guys. But be sure to check any pumps in the sump as the tiny ones, as with collonista snails and other small critters, can potentially interfere with them. I have a ton of them in my system though, with no negative effects on pumps.
 
Found what I was looking for! Very informative. Thank you
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new