Mystery Striped/Red Urchin?

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this guy is? He looks a bit weird right now as he went into defense mode and stuck most of his pins straight up. He has a black body, with the 5 black lines separating his body into sections (just like any old tuxedo urchin.) but his pins are half striped white and maroon/red and half solid pink with some yellow near the base. I can't find anything like him online, so any leads are greatly appreciated!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm not finding a whole bunch of threads on them. Do any of you guys know if they are reef safe? I think someone mentioned that theirs ate their leather coral, but the other thread I found said 100% reef safe (which I know isn't always the case with any urchin if it's hungry enough.)

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how safe it is but it is one of very few things that will eat hydroids I've actually been looking for one but hard to come across.

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he's been hanging out on the glass, didn't bother anything yet! I had never seen these guys before, but one of my LFS had a tank full of them for $25 each! I couldn't pass them up for that price and how beautiful they are. I did feed him a small piece of seaweed, which he took right of way, I'm guessing he has been starved at the shop since their tank has no algea in it. I hope he stays reef safe, but he seems good so far!

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveat - they are a little on the toxic side.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 117 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back