N02 question

Jaxius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Quick question, I have been cycling my tank for 35 days, I started Aug 1st. I am using the red sea reef mature program. I followed the program to the letter. Per the program, by day 10 my N02 level was supposed to be at 0.
Currently, it's at 1ppm the highest reading available on the test, also my N03 is also at the high end of the scale. My ammonia looks to be very low if not 0 and has been for 4 weeks now
The program was a 22-day cycle and here I am 2 weeks past that point wondering what went wrong.
I have attached pictures of the tests today day 35. Should I just keep waiting as I'm only 5 weeks into the cycle and am just being impatient or am I right to think something is a little off with my readings? Also, have other people had issues with the red sea reef mature program? I am also having a pretty nice diatom bloom right now so my water is super cloudy.

Thanks
IMG-4425.jpg
IMG-4426.jpg
IMG-4427.jpg
IMG-4429.jpg

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, did you use live rock or dry rock? The timing is longer if you used dry.

You could also test some mixed salt water to ensure the readings are 0, and it’s not an issue with the test kit.

If you go to an LFS, they should also be able to test if you want confirmation.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 days your tank is fully cycled. All the ? are easily covered here below, your tank needs a water change to restore clarity, then begin. If you want to prove it’s cycled before you begin that is shown as well, more than one reef

the test kits you are using have been a challenge in thousands of cycles, we fix that by aligning the ammonia portion in a special way.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i would not bother re verifying your large tank as you will need 2x large water changes. You have exceeded the time on a standard cycling chart, and are done. Change water above as much as you can, run carbon and poly filters until the water above is clear then you are ready based on your guaranteed submersion times.

cycling rules are changing, you won’t get any three people to agree on where your cycle stands so we made a thread using a core set of evaluations applied to actual reefs, and we can track them for proof live time. Nitrite and nitrate have no bearing in calling a cycle ready, we show.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jaxius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying the N02 being high doesn’t matter? I’m planning to do 2 x 60gallon water changes today and tomorrow. And I’m running some carbon and filter socks to clear up the water. After the weekend you think I’m ready for fish?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. We would enjoy tracking your thread outcome there, wanting to show that updated cycle science has moved beyond stuck testers and into submersion time + known boosters as the final say, we know test kits give slight enough readings to cause confusion.

You have measured nitrate and nitrite which prove nitrification, if you reported all zeros across the board it would be a concern

You've met the times a standard cycling chart shows please update when you begin, change water to some degree it's ready I'm certain, no more testing required.

OP
OP
J

Jaxius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im working on my first 60 gallon water change. The cloudy water is copepods millions and millions of them. I seeded algae barn copepods and have been feeding their live phytoplankton for the last week and a half. I almost can’t believe how many there are. I’ve read they will calm down as new tanks sometimes get blooms in copepods especially if you feed and seed them. At least that answers one of my questions. My diatoms on my sand has also calmed down a little from 2 days ago. I’ll keep you updated how the tank is doing after my second 60 gallon water change. It will probably be Monday as my RODI unit is only 75GPD.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back