Nano Drop-off Reef

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I saw pics of philippe grosjean's drop-off reefI've wanted something like it, I however don't have much space. Last August, I decided I'd make a nano version of it out and took to Google SketchUp to design one. It ended up being between 10 and 15 gallons and has a RO reservoir box inside of about 2-3 gallons. Here's a pic once I finished the design:
IMG_0731.jpg

Once I had that finished I went and got some acrylic that was cut to my dimensions. Building it was pretty easy, it was just very time consuming to scrape all the edges so that they were smooth-ish. I didn't get any pics of the build process, but here's some pics of when i finished it:
IMG_0543.jpg

Here's after it was painted
IMG_0546.jpg

That was all done last August. For the months since its just been sitting around in the way. Last month I decided I was ready to set it up. I put new super fine sand in it and live rock and water from where I work, zoanthids.com. The two main pieces in the tank are Vida Rock from Cerameco, so hopefully it becomes live soon. For now i have random pieces of regular live rock in the back overflow and behind the arch. Here it is at that point:
IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want built this aquarium to be one where I could keep(and actually see) some of there cool little inverts that are out there. Here's my current livestock:
ocellaris clownfish
yasha goby/candy candy stripe pistol shrimp
Hi-fin goby
2 bumble bee shrimp
white spot anemone shrimp
glass shrimp
porcelain crab

I hope to be getting other cool shrimp in the future, like sexy shrimp and pederson shrimp, along with more porcelain crabs.

Here are some pics I took today:
IMG_0723.jpg

cool mushrooms and a yellow feather duster
IMG_0725.jpg

Euphyllia Yaeyamaensis
IMG_0721.jpg

green and pink ricordea florida with it's crazy body guard, my glass shrimp
IMG_0718.jpg

rhcpnut1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all very awesome and I know the tank your talking about. Its awesome put nano version together.:D

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that tank design, I'd love to do one but I remember Troylee had one and he had a big problem with stuff settling in the drop off section. I'm sure you could solve that with a closed loop but electricity is too expensive here to run a large pump on a CL...

OP
OP
R

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that tank design, I'd love to do one but I remember Troylee had one and he had a big problem with stuff settling in the drop off section. I'm sure you could solve that with a closed loop but electricity is too expensive here to run a large pump on a CL...
What stuff settling? Is that caused by not good enough flow down there?

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probabbly creates a vortex of rolling water around the edge, and water flows over that vortex and not into it so it forces heavy particles into the area. like a riffle on gold mining sluice.

OP
OP
R

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probabbly creates a vortex of rolling water around the edge, and water flows over that vortex and not into it so it forces heavy particles into the area. like a riffle on gold mining sluice.

I tried to avoid that and dead spots by having my loc-line be different than most. You can see it in the pic below at the top. It runs along the side of my aquarium. So instead of the pump blowing from back to front it goes from left to right. Do you think I'll still have problems?
IMG_0692.jpg

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool! it would really finish the look if you did a rock wall with pond foam for the drop off..

nice work!

OP
OP
R

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works! i was looking into "making" my own rock with it covering the drop, but I didn't exactly what I needed. Now I'm just hoping it still looks good when it's covered in coralline

mebo926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool.....would love to see what a bigger cube tank would look like,

OP
OP
R

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new camera yesterday! I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, but here's my first batch of pics with it:
DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Here's my Hasslets goby
DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this mushroom from Brandon(zoanthids.com), His is a stunner! Mine is just a baby but is starting to look better and better.
May it grow quickly and have many babies...
DSC_0039.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rize2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this rainbow wall hammer yesterday! It's colors arent super bright, but it does have a green, yellow, orange and blue shimmer to it. The camera mostly just picked up the blue for some reason
DSC_0027.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Back