Nano tank equipment?

Arcticreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hei
Im in the starting steps of putting up a nano tank and have a Waterbox cube 20 gallon waiting for me to pick up.

For sirculation im thinking about the Aqamai kps for the control and small from factor in a nano tank.

I plan to dose Tropic marin All for reef using a single head TMC doser.

Tank will have a Radion XR15W G4 for lighting but for the rest im kinda unsure equipment wise.

It will be a mixed reef focusing on sps so nutrient control is my main concern.
My ideas are either a autoaqua AWC sistem doing 3-4 gallon change per week but im unsure how well that does in nutrient control but should help greatly in keeping most parameters in line.
Another idea is algae reactor that should keep most nitrate and phosphate issues down but im not sure how leakproof they are as they would have to be in the cabinet under the tank.

My main dilemma is AWC or algae reactor? wich would give me more stability and benefits in the long run?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 20g nano as well, and I'm leaning towards a AWC set up. From what I've found in a small tank, a water change can completely turn a tank around, and it is so cheap and easy. 5 gallons a week is enough to turn around the nastiest nano tank in a short amount of time. 2.5 a week is likely to maintain nutrients in a stocked system.

Skimmers, refugiums, media reactors... I've found them all to not be very effective at the size for small AIO tanks. An external chaeto reactor would be the only option I would consider, and just doing a 5g bucket water change is still easier.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think both provide benefits. I don't think you should eliminate weekly or bi-weekly water changes. IMO.

OP
OP
Arcticreefer

Arcticreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didint plan to eliminate water changes with a reactor just less:p
My biggest fear with a reactor is a hose coming loose. have had that happen many years ago with a canister filter and it was a mess to say the least.

Yeah AWC seems like the best solution, both in keeping parameters stable and exporting No3- Po4.

The Autoaqua AWC unit seems like a brilliant little gadget. think ill just order it and forget about the algae reactor for now.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long set up in my office. Runs on only two maxi jets for water movement.

I change about 5 gallons every 10 days or so. I enjoy the tank more than my 200g, mainly because everything is so simple.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'll add that removing detritus is the key for water changes in a small/simple system.

When I do water changes, I siphon out as much detritus as I can, sending it through a filter sock as it goes to a bucket. I can then pump the water back in to the tank, and repeat the process to remove as much detritus as possible. I usually end up doing this two or three times before I'm happy with what I got out of the tank.

The tank is bare bottom so detritus is easy to see and remove.

Don't underestimate the amount of detritus that can accumulate in a lightly stocked tank. I have one clown, one fire fish, and 4 crabs, and the detritus is noticeable after a week.

OP
OP
Arcticreefer

Arcticreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im going bare bottom becuse of that also, its amazing how much crap comes from so little right.
But im hoping the aqamai will keep a good portion of it suspended so corals take up as much as possible.
Unsure if ill use the filtersock other than in the beginning with fresh live rock.

OP
OP
Arcticreefer

Arcticreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Aqamai kps myself in my 6 uk gallon to replace a koralia nano...very pleased with it

Sounds good. Looks like a great little pump. Only thing I wish it would be able to sinc with another pump for alternating flow but given the price and features it’s hardly a thing to whine about.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back