Nano Tank Recommendations

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to start up a nano tank. I have a 90 gallon reef tank already and have been contemplating a second tank. I am looking at all in one tanks. I would like to hear recommendations on what tank to go with. I would like to get a minimum of 20 gallons, and have been looking at the Coralife 32. For some reason it is hard to find one right now. Maybe they sold quickly over Christmas. I would like to keep my budget around or under $500 for the equipment and stand (not including rocks, sand, CUC, fish, etc.). I would like this to be a reef tank as well. If I get this going I hope to do a build thread on this site. I didn't do that on my 90 and wish I had. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to piece it together if someone can suggest the different components to get.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative marine and water box have really good nano tanks

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at 500 you are right there for a new one. I’d look at used. Also look at Fijicube.com their aio tanks are great.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at 500 you are right there for a new one. I’d look at used. Also look at Fijicube.com their aio tanks are great.
I have been looking at different sites for used. I almost pulled the trigger on a Coralife 29 gallon. I would have been the older version so I may have needed to upgrade the light. Unfortunately it sold quickly. The used would be nice since I could then upgrade the light if I needed to. My 90 was free so I have no issues with used tanks!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Biocube 32. The only mods I made are filter configuration and I added a power head. The stock LEDs work for softies and LPS. I made a stand for it. The only real issue I have had with it is it gets hot in the summertime. I had to leave the feeding door open constantly. I made a small mesh cover for it to eliminate carpet surfing. Had to keep the ceiling fan on constantly, and keep my wife away from the thermostat...

Fluval has some cool stuff too. The new Flex 32.5 says it is for freshwater only, but I don't see why you could not do a reef in it.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon and I love it I’m actually looking for a new one. I don’t run the stock hoods I like to put a new light on the.
I have been looking at different sites for used. I almost pulled the trigger on a Coralife 29 gallon. I would have been the older version so I may have needed to upgrade the light. Unfortunately it sold quickly. The used would be nice since I could then upgrade the light if I needed to. My 90 was free so I have no issues with used tanks!

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I am looking at all I would like to get a minimum of 20 gallons, and have been looking at the Coralife 32. For some reason it is hard to find one right now. Maybe they sold quickly over Christmas. I would like to keep my budget around or under $500 for the equipment and stand (not including..
From what my lfs said, the only plant that makes the biocube was hit with a tsunami. And they were told about April to June before it's stock will be back. The biocube is one their best sellers. So it put a small hurt on them

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll take a look at them.

The Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 is a very popular choice along with the Nuvo 30. Both comfortably in your price point and I believe you can get either one in there EXT line for a sump underneath in your stand which GREATLY increases the flexibility of equipment choices. JBJ is another great manufacturer who just came out with a couple sharp looking nanos as well...

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nuvo-EXT.html

Oh and they both happen to be on sale at marine depot right now.... 15% off

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Biocube 32. The only mods I made are filter configuration and I added a power head. The stock LEDs work for softies and LPS. I made a stand for it. The only real issue I have had with it is it gets hot in the summertime. I had to leave the feeding door open constantly. I made a small mesh cover for it to eliminate carpet surfing. Had to keep the ceiling fan on constantly, and keep my wife away from the thermostat...

Fluval has some cool stuff too. The new Flex 32.5 says it is for freshwater only, but I don't see why you could not do a reef in it.
Thanks for the information. I had read that it was good for softies and LPS, and maybe some SPS. The heat part is interesting. The guy at my LFS had said you don't need a heater which goes along with what you are saying. I've lived through the carpet surfers. I've lost 5 Diamond Watchman Gobies in my 90. One lasted 1 day and 1 lasted 2 days. So frustrating.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 is a very popular choice along with the Nuvo 30. Both comfortably in your price point and I believe you can get either one in there EXT line for a sump underneath in your stand which GREATLY increases the flexibility of equipment choices. JBJ is another great manufacturer who just came out with a couple sharp looking nanos as well...

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nuvo-EXT.html

Oh and they both happen to be on sale at marine depot right now.... 15% off
Thanks for the heads up on the sale! I saw the JBJ at my LFS and I like the look of them. I also like the idea of a 20 or 25 size. I really only want 1 or 2 fish. Something I don't have in my 90, and then corals. Looks like I have some web surfing to do this weekend! And I really like the idea of being able to add a sump.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost 5 Diamond Watchman Gobies in my 90. One lasted 1 day and 1 lasted 2 days. So frustrating.

That's pretty frustrating, I was thinking of a diamond watchman for my next build but I'll have to hold off until I can get a solid lid on it with that information.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty frustrating, I was thinking of a diamond watchman for my next build but I'll have to hold off until I can get a solid lid on it with that information.
It’s amazing to me. The last one knocked off a small piece of plastic and jumped out of a 2” x 4” hole. They are great fish and do a great job cleaning the sand. They are just jumpers.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering a nano tank as well. Following with interest.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a heater during the winter. Colorado right?

The lid definitely holds in heat, and the lights,pumps etc generate heat. The lid also greatly reduces (eliminates?) evaporation. I never top off with fresh water and maintain 1.026.

If you only want 1 or 2 fish you could go even a little smaller. Fluval Evo 13.5 gal, or Biocube 16 gallon. I would not get any smaller. Stability starts to become an issue.

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my waterbox 20 aio....I’ve got an AI Prime light, eshopps nano skimmer, and Aqamai wave pump powerhead all running on it. I’m keeping mostly LPS, zoas, and a few softies. It’s a really nice little set up...plus it’s been easy to care for and maintain. My hubby built a stand for it instead of buying one. I think I got the Waterbox 20 with the AI Prime for less than $400 online

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a heater during the winter. Colorado right?

The lid definitely holds in heat, and the lights,pumps etc generate heat. The lid also greatly reduces (eliminates?) evaporation. I never top off with fresh water and maintain 1.026.

If you only want 1 or 2 fish you could go even a little smaller. Fluval Evo 13.5 gal, or Biocube 16 gallon. I would not get any smaller. Stability starts to become an issue.
The guy at my LFS said a heater wasn't needed here (yes Colorado) but if so it's not a big deal. I have 20-30 gallons of RODI water available all the time for my larger tank and 30 gallons of saltwater. So I should be set for that. I am only looking for 1-2 specimen fish. I wouldn't go any lower than 16 gallons. I would prefer 20-25 just for stability and the ability to have 2 fish.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my waterbox 20 aio....I’ve got an AI Prime light, eshopps nano skimmer, and Aqamai wave pump powerhead all running on it. I’m keeping mostly LPS, zoas, and a few softies. It’s a really nice little set up...plus it’s been easy to care for and maintain. My hubby built a stand for it instead of buying one. I think I got the Waterbox 20 with the AI Prime for less than $400 online
Thanks for the information. I looked at the Waterbox site and they do have that setup for $400. I can make the stand for it, or find something that isn't so expensive. I like the 20 gallon size.

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a pretty nice little set up. I really like my AI Prime light as well.
When I was shopping I compared the Biocube, Red Sea Nano, the IM 20 & 25 and decided to go with the waterbox. I haven’t been sorry. Great quality build, simple set up, and like I said previously it’s super easy to maintain. Hope that helps!! Good Luck with your search :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back