Nano-tech Bio-sphere

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that after removing the Marine Pure and adding these blocks my aluminium went to zero. I have seen no negative effects on the tank so I have to assume the biological filtration is working as it was before.

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to remove mine, but scared I will cause a cycle and my sps will stn. Hopefully it will work out for me as well as it did for you

TangoTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that after removing the Marine Pure and adding these blocks my aluminium went to zero. I have seen no negative effects on the tank so I have to assume the biological filtration is working as it was before.

Hows it going with the maxspect blocks now? are you still using them? and how about tests?

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They seem to be working great. I removed my marine pure and my aluminum is not showing up any more. Corals are starting to encrust and some that were starting to Stn have recovered the dead areas.

Thanks

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow it’s been a year since I first did this thread and I’m now using the spheres and blocks in all my tanks both fresh and saltwater. In fact the spheres I used when I started this post are still in use with no trace of leaching anything and just as solid as day one. I do give the bag they are in a shake once a month and rinse them off every 4-5 months. I use microbactor7 to help build back what little is lost from the lite rinse.

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the squares (4" x 4") and fits nicely in my sump. I have two in my sump - one under my return pump and one in the input chamber.

Dannad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going, guys? Does the product help to maintain the nutrients level in the tank?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into this stuff. It doesn't say what it's made of at all (at least from online ads), and it doesn't help denitrification at all. It just does ammonia to nitrites to nitrates.

Good luck. I don't put anything in my tank that I don't know what it's made of. I actually prefer Seachem Matrix over any other biomedia even though I have Marine Pure. Matrix is very good for denitrification. You also can't substitute most of your rock because you beed Ph buffering that the media doesn't support.
I have the same thing just made by a different company. These block replaced 2 large marine pure blocks as they started to fall apart. They are awesome and they best media iv seen they weigh heaps have no chance of degrading.

5EFDA360-7760-4D87-A17F-2410AC081F63.jpeg

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going, guys? Does the product help to maintain the nutrients level in the tank?
I may have to remove one or two if my nitrates drop much further below 2ppm. It 1 month to get these blocks going but they are proving to be very effective.

551D3CCA-B416-49E6-95C3-2A58AC264938.jpeg

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2kg or 4.4 lbs bag of spheres next to my Chaeto in the sump and it seems to work great, I have no issues with nutrients and it also gives my pods somewhere to eat and live. :)
They do break easily while they are dry so a good rince before putting them in reduces coudiness.

IMG_20200411_075325.jpg

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to share a product I just got to try out.
8273a7ffb75805d5ee3e01e255b390eb.jpg
5b1eb06d394d3099f8f9247eb8874312.jpg
c49eaa50a144b9ce6392e6904ca409c4.jpg
ca39c5fc59bec773e4fd8633b9e06c81.jpg
2a33430442c54993f34af506bcd7d49b.jpg
the Nano-tech bio-sphere by Maxspect
They have two quantities a 2kg and the 1kg which is what I got for $25. The 1kg box has about 44 balls and they claim treats up to 750gal. The awesome thing is they say just 10 of the balls will equal 20lbs of live rock[emoji43] so the box could replace about 86lbs of live rock in a filter set up so if you are lack on space this is big. Also figure the cost of 85lbs of live rock the bio spheres are more economical as well .They work like other bio media in your sump,canister, or other filter. They work for both fresh and marine tanks as well as ponds. I’m going to try them in two of my tanks one will be my bio cube reef in one of the chambers and in my FX4 on my planted freshwater tank.
Lots of debate on these. I'm fairly certain that I am seeing denitrification using these. I have a 2.0 L NYOS reactor filled with these and a low flow of water going through the reactor. I have a 105 gallon tank and do weekly 10% water changes. I feed a home concocoted blend of spirulana, roasted nori, mysis shrimp, and Rods vegetarian all blended up in a small container with tank water. I feed that mix once per day and when I'm traveling my wife feeds a blended mix of flakes, also once per day. Additonally, three times per week I feed nori on a clip for the herbivores and just let it go until there's nothing left. I have 10 fish, about 25 corals, and a highly varied cuc: four types of snails, hermits, two chonchs and one cucumber. The tank ran it's typical ugly cycles when I first started, but after a year it looks great with no algae issues. I sometimes, well, typically, see a trace of nitrate when I check it every two weeks and 0 phosphates (corals and GFO knock it out). I have had the biospheres running in the reactor for right at a year. I did a cleanout at six months - just pulled them out and swirled everything around in water I pulled out of the tank while doing a water change. I didn't notice any degredation but the color is slightly different, no doubt from biofilm. I also run carbon and gfo is another NYOS reactor and skim. No refugium. It's primarily anecdotal evidence, but I do believe these are supporting both nitrifying as well as denitrifying bacteria - just like Seachem Matrix.

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running mine for 6 months and my nitrates are 2.5ppm to 0ppm and I feed 3/4 times per day. This stuff is absolutely fantastic. Haven't yet had the need to clean these as there is plenty of socks and filter floss before the balls. Lately I've had to turn off my skimmer because my nitrates are so low. Could be due to many different factors, but these balls have given me vital stability from creeping nitrates.

chan1600

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, it says "clean or replace every 6 months." That's because they're suggesting it will become clogged up with biofilm or detritus over time and should be cleaned out, or for the lazy folks, replaced.

I just don't get why they put that big circular hole in the middle. My guess is the manufacturing process, but it seems like an awful lot of wasted space.
There are two types, block, and hole. The block would increase anaerobic bacteria. While the hole one would increase aerobic bacteria.

Franci1017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2kg or 4.4 lbs bag of spheres next to my Chaeto in the sump and it seems to work great, I have no issues with nutrients and it also gives my pods somewhere to eat and live. :)
They do break easily while they are dry so a good rince before putting them in reduces coudiness.

IMG_20200411_075325.jpg
how many gallons is your tank? Using 2kg bag..

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many gallons is your tank? Using 2kg bag..

I have upgraded tank since that post, but I had them in a 40 gallon tank. I actually removed them after a while, I noticed that alot of detritus was collecting and I never saw any real benfit since I have plenty of rock in my display. When I removed the spheres there was no change in nutrients up or down.
In my new sump I only use mechanical filtration and trying to keep it alot cleaner.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon system using the ULNS (Korallen-Zucht) method, i.e. strive to keep nutrient levels as low as possible.
Filtration Zeolite Reactor. I moved gradually a year and two months ago, but I still can't get to zero. With minimal fish feeding, nitrate still does not fall below 2-3, nitrite is also present.
Phosphate for a long time was 0, but I did not measure it for 2 months due to the fact that I ordered a new HANNA on e-bay, and the supplier did not send it in the end. The local LFS was measured and it turned out that the level of phosphates rose to 0.10.
Now it has dropped and is changing from 0 to 0.04.
I only have about 23 kg of live rocks.
Since bio-blocks and bio-spheres are marketed as live rocks replace, will they help me with the reduction of nitrite / nitrate / phosphate?
Who already has experience with them, tell me.
Thank you

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back