Nano temp control. what are you using?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am debating some temp control options for my nano RFA tank.

what are you using as how is it working for you?

my options are:
1. nothing -get a new heater and trust it replace every year or 2. the cheapest option until....
2. inkbird very mixed reviews here
3. BRS temp controller might be even worse than above. bummer I was hoping this was going to be great.
4. rancho temp controller I hear they might be better as they are made for industry?
5. $200 hrdros control 2 very basic but does have some interesting features for a nono might work
6. get an extra apex temp prob. PM1 and eb8 suck it up and run the wires across the house . be about $200
7. win the lottery and get the apex EL unit with eb832

thoughts and feedback.
all I really want to right now is control the heater so it will not fry my tank I live in a cold climate so it runs 3/4 of the year...but other features down the road would be nice option to have if I am spending the money.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few people mention the d-d dual temp controller. It's the one I'm likely going to get for my nano, but at the moment I'm relying on checking the glass thermometer a few times a day!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few people mention the d-d dual temp controller. It's the one I'm likely going to get for my nano, but at the moment I'm relying on checking the glass thermometer a few times a day!

i'll look in to that. thanks.
I did think about one of those digital temp displays but once again the reviews are all over the place.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's pretty tight working with the AIO nano not sure 2 heaters will work. BUT it's a thought for sure. I could set one lower so i one fail off the other would kick on but nothing for a stuck on heater.
Stuck on will kill them faster than stuck off I'd guess (could be wrong) but also the space issue is one I've got too, which is why I'm going with the d-d so it turns off if necessary!

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh that is interesting some how I did not know about that. kinda of a wide swing but a fail safe none the less.

Right, this device is not designed to be a full function controller but only to keep a runaway heater from going completely nuclear. I just wish they didn't put the dual chiller/heater function in there (shutting off if the temp goes below 72) as you can only connect the monitor to one device. Your bringing up this topic inspired me to order one of these, so thank you. :)

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a nano just get a Eheim Jager and set it where you want it by using a thermometer for reference. Never had a problem with it all these years. Of course a dual setup would be great for a failsafe.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a GHL controller, but, if you are looking to start small with something to build as you go, look into the coralvue hydros.

Or just a regular temp controller works just fine. I always keep my old one for back up anyway.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager heater and a controller for the heater that isn’t Inkbird. Their customer service was terrible as was the controller. I dealt with them so long that I missed the amazon return window.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Ranco. It's a little spendy but when you hear that relay click you know it's made with beefy parts.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a nano just get a Eheim Jager and set it where you want it by using a thermometer for reference. Never had a problem with it all these years. Of course a dual setup would be great for a failsafe.

I was thinking the same. BUT stuff does happen i would be bummed if I lost my RFA collection to some as simple as heat control :/

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from the cobalt heaters. Had 2 break on me and jump the heat in the tank over night. Temp gage was set at 78. Actual temp of the tank was 85+

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 cobalt heaters, never had a problem. They are plugged into an Apex. In the past I had also run dual 300 w cobalts on a larger tank without any problem, also plugged into an Apex. Everyone has their preferences.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back