Naso Tangs vs Vortech Mp40

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS quarantines all fish for 2 weeks before you are able to bring them home, you can go buy them but they won't let you take them home until they pass their quarantine process
Withot knowing their full qt process, it is impossible to say their qt prtocol won't allow anything through. Also 2 weeks isn't enough time to eliminate some of those pathogens.

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish of decent size that's totally healthy should not have an issue getting stuck. It had to be in a weak state, those little suckers are pretty strong swimmers.

He was very active and healthy i believe his shape and the constant mode is what caused him to get stuck and not release himself however i did not see it happen so he may have declined over the day i was gone

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Withot knowing their full qt process, it is impossible to say their qt prtocol won't allow anything through. Also 2 weeks isn't enough time to eliminate some of those pathogens.

I know that this is less than ideal and i should set up a QT but this is not a luxury that i currently have the space for.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was very active and healthy i believe his shape and the constant mode is what caused him to get stuck and not release himself however i did not see it happen so he may have declined over the day i was gone
I have never seen a healthy fish get stuck to a power head, even weak swimmers, such as boxfish, pipefish, or even seahorses, unless weakened.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know that this is less than ideal and i should set up a QT but this is not a luxury that i currently have the space for.
+1. For example for copper to be effective they would need to use it for 30 days. Now that doesn't even consider flukes, uronema, etc. Unfortunately you cannot trust another's QT process. I totally understand you don't have the space and we aren't coming down on you for that. Just keep in mind there is a good chance this fish had something that killed it quickly and your other fish have been exposed. I would watch them closely for symptoms at the very least.

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a healthy fish get stuck to a power head, even weak swimmers, such as boxfish, pipefish, or even seahorses, unless weakened.

I purchased another Naso tang and while i was viewing the tank from the powerhead side he swam too close and got stuck to the side in front of my eyes, i didn't allow him time to free himself i immediately shut it off because i was standing next to the controller. I have never seen this myself before this occurrence in 5+ years of reefing but i would assume it happens and the vast majority of the time the fish can swim off no problem

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. For example for copper to be effective they would need to use it for 30 days. Now that doesn't even consider flukes, uronema, etc. Unfortunately you cannot trust another's QT process. I totally understand you don't have the space and we aren't coming down on you for that. Just keep in mind there is a good chance this fish had something that killed it quickly and your other fish have been exposed. I would watch them closely for symptoms at the very least.

I will be observing them closely of course. There is another LFS store near me that will sell you a fish that they just got in less than an hour ago and sell it to you no problem, so for my situation 2 weeks of some type of observation/QT is better than nothing

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you that I have had otherwise healthy naso get stuck on my MP60 twice. While I do generally agree that this is usually the sign of a sick fish, the naso seems somewhat prone to it. Not the strongest of swimmers and a body shape conducive to getting stuck. Perhaps use one of the foam covers, at least for a while.

Also, not a bad thing to buy a fish as soon as it gets to the LFS. While languishing in the store may seem like a good thing, it also exposes the fish to all sorts of parasites that may be in the store's system.

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you that I have had otherwise healthy naso get stuck on my MP60 twice. While I do generally agree that this is usually the sign of a sick fish, the naso seems somewhat prone to it. Not the strongest of swimmers and a body shape conducive to getting stuck.

Glad to hear that someone else has observed similar behavior in Naso's thanks for your feedback

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really weird. I have some 1.5" flasher wrasses that frequently swim right next to the side of my MP40s set at 85% and they have never had a problem.

The only problem I've ever had with an MP was when I used to turn them off to feed. I had a small tang swim inside to peck on algae on the propeller. I turned the MP back on while he was still inside accidentally and killed him instantly!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really weird. I have some 1.5" flasher wrasses that frequently swim right next to the side of my MP40s set at 85% and they have never had a problem.

The only problem I've ever had with an MP was when I used to turn them off to feed. I had a small tang swim inside to peck on algae on the propeller. I turned the MP back on while he was still inside accidentally and killed him instantly!
I have a bicolor blenny that's does the same, fortunately I've conditioned myself to look at the pump before turning it on now, although he has had a few close calls where he woulda been a snack for the other fish.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you that I have had otherwise healthy naso get stuck on my MP60 twice. While I do generally agree that this is usually the sign of a sick fish, the naso seems somewhat prone to it. Not the strongest of swimmers and a body shape conducive to getting stuck. Perhaps use one of the foam covers, at least for a while.

Also, not a bad thing to buy a fish as soon as it gets to the LFS. While languishing in the store may seem like a good thing, it also exposes the fish to all sorts of parasites that may be in the store's system.

I thought nasos were pretty strong swimmers?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ouch! Other than my stupid Naso, the only other fish I had that got vorteched was a small resplendent anthias. Watched it go after a Mysid and get puréed. Also ouch.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought nasos were pretty strong swimmers?

Never really seemed so to me. Always the last tang to get to the feeding end of the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso tangs are an open water swimmers. So they are pretty strong swimmers. If they don't seem like strong swimmers, than it is not a healthy specimen.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 'was' ...... 'is'. First one died but the second is still with me in a 7' 265.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just chalk it up to..... one of those things that happen from time to time, god knows in 30 years of keeping saltwater and freshwater tanks I've had some of those moments. The worst being the dreaded fish that died overnight only to find it in the morning when you had it for years and was eating fine, and there was no disease in the tank, thus no explanation.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back