Nassarius snail help

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

so today bought a couple of nassarius snails for my tank , after a few hours I saw one shell on the top of the sand . There was no little tube thing or anything out . I can’t tell if he is still alive or not. Do these snails have the capability of hiding in there shells ?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

so today bought a couple of nassarius snails for my tank , after a few hours I saw one shell on the top of the sand . There was no little tube thing or anything out . I can’t tell if he is still alive or not. Do these snails have the capability of hiding in there shells ?
Yeah they will sink themselves down into the sand. Partially then completely. When you feed, they just POP up giving them the name Zombie snails.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They hide until late day and active at night. How did you acclimate them and for how long ?

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to borrow in the sand during the day. I would check if it moved the next day.
Well I picked up the shell and there was no snail hanging out :( so I’m trying to figure out if they could hide in there shell like my turbo snail .

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide until late day and active at night. How did you acclimate them and for how long ?
I acclimated them both for about an hour and then made sure the salinity matched , is that not long enough? I have a turbo snail and did the same steps I did with him and I’ve had my turbo snail for over a year now

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I acclimated them both for about an hour and then made sure the salinity matched , is that not long enough? I have a turbo snail and did the same steps I did with him and I’ve had my turbo snail for over a year now
Yes, that should be good

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I put them in they quickly went into the sand bed but then I saw one shell out and I didn’t see any sign of a snail
That sounds strange. Do you have anything that would eat a snail in your tank? If not I would check tonight when lights are off or tomorrow when you are feeding fish the snails should come out when they smell food. They almost always come out to the smell of food. Its like ringing a dinner bell.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once I put them in they quickly went into the sand bed but then I saw one shell out and I didn’t see any sign of a snail
Hopefully not a bailout. Other possibility is a hermit crab could have gotten to it

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits poached a couple of my new narcissus for their shiny shells. But it’s been a few months without any casualties so I’m hoping hunting season is over for good.

and I’ve never seen one retract completely into the shell. You should see the foot a bit at least

OP
OP
N

NicoleZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits poached a couple of my new narcissus for their shiny shells. But it’s been a few months without any casualties so I’m hoping hunting season is over for good.

and I’ve never seen one retract completely into the shell. You should see the foot a bit at least
I do have a few hermit crabs but I haven’t noticed the shell taken just yet , I was really hoping he could hide but I guess I got the answer I was looking for. I only got two thank god , but let’s see what happens with the other one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back