OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still don't have the system up, but couldn't pass up the opportunity. Luckily my brother has a reef as well, and he agreed to keep her for me until i was ready.

Seller did not want to ship, but I convinced him... Debated over heat packs, box size, etc... Box came early and thank God it did... The bag had busted open and the fish was lying in about an inch of water - temp was in the 60's.

When i opened the box, I was 100% certain she was dead. Pale gray, no gill movement... Here's what i saw.

970309AD-813A-4BD4-94B2-DCF119BEF31D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, couldn't finish the story last night....

My brother looked closer and saw just a bit of movement... not much hope at this point, but we had something. First reaction was to want to dump the fish in the main tank, but at 80 degrees the 20 degree jump might have killed her. So stepped it into gear, and started triage. Water on the gills was the first thing - started a drip line from the main tank directly to the fish. Once the water was high enough, we dropped an air stone into the bag for added circulation, trying to get oxygen to the weak gills... She started to move a little more - great sign.

970309AD-813A-4BD4-94B2-DCF119BEF31D.jpeg

After about 30 minutes of drip we saw some fin movement - another great sign. What we're doing seems to be working...

D68147DE-C46C-4D69-B4D6-0BD829317EE8.jpeg

One we had enough water in the bag to fill a five gallon bucket enough to give her room to move we transferred her over... When we did, completely floored that she upright herself and tried to swim.

53B67132-76C8-48F9-99DC-AA713B361BD7.jpeg

After about an hour total drip, temps roughly equal, we decided to drop her in the tank. It was disheartening to see this large, beautiful fish drop to the bottom and just lay against the side of the tank. She stayed like this until the end of the day, occasionally having just enough energy to swim a couple feet, and come back to rest on the bottom. We left the lights off all day to try to minimize stress... had to go home eventually, knowing that if she made it the night, we had a 70% chance she would pull through. More to come.

3E2639B0-D38C-4BF4-B89C-37B5B7321809.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And, here she is 3 days after introduction. After she made it through the 2nd night and finally started eating we gave here a name "Lulu" (I know I know, super corny) - short for Honolulu - after her Hawaiian origin...

She has been doing great in my brother's tank. After I am done with the first round of fish QT, she will start a prophylactic quarantine. I'll describe the process that I use, which has proven infallible for me with respect to common, catastrophic fish diseases.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, here she is 3 days after introduction. After she made it through the 2nd night and finally started eating we gave here a name "Lulu" (I know I know, super corny) - short for Honolulu - after her Hawaiian origin...

She has been doing great in my brother's tank. After I am done with the first round of fish QT, she will start a prophylactic quarantine. I'll describe the process that I use, which has proven infallible for me with respect to common, catastrophic fish diseases.

Out of curiosity, is this a true hawaiian black?
These guys aren’t Hawaiian endemic and can be found around the Marquesas Islands, Cook Islands and a place in Indonesia that I always forget.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals doing well in QT. Have a couple aiptasia that need dealing with before they start to spread more than they already have. I lost a Rock Flower Nem a couple weeks back - not sure exactly what it was. The second nem is not doing well either, even after a full week of Cipro treatment. Thread below on the first nem if you are interested. Also, one of my fire shrimp killed the other. Literally chased it around the tank, and took it apart one leg at a time. I've never observed this level of aggression from fire shrimp towards each other.

D4E7F3C7-08AB-4A20-BD0E-4781FBFCA53E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Major gating item below to installing the display: Setting up the "fish lab". Need this completed so I can move the fish and coral quarantines over to their dedicated space (and off the display stand, where they are currently). Made some progress on this yesterday - all shelves removed and walls cleaned up. Working on wrapping most of this up today...

Current status:

552AD7A2-4DE1-4AC8-BA64-9AE6A1271DC0.jpeg

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude!!!
Man great job with the fish, can't wait to catch up brother, you and bro need to stop in and check our the new tank!!!
Great job Nate!

Hey Perry! Thanks for stopping by - and yes - would love to see what came of your plans for the new tank and the spare room!! Thank you for the kind words, and I'll reach out soon. Should free up a little by the end of the month.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Out of curiosity, is this a true hawaiian black?
As far as I can tell, yes. This is the exact specimen that I was looking for, although a little bigger than planned.

These guys aren’t Hawaiian endemic and can be found around the Marquesas Islands, Cook Islands and a place in Indonesia that I always forget.
Sri Lanka is the place you are thinking of, and all commercially available fish are coming from one of the latter locations. I know for sure this is not a Sri Lankan variant - these have very pronounced snouts, with a long, almost beak-like mouth at the tip.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell, yes. This is the exact specimen that I was looking for, although a little bigger than planned.

Sri Lanka is the place you are thinking of, and all commercially available fish are coming from one of the latter locations. I know for sure this is not a Sri Lankan variant - these have very pronounced snouts, with a long, almost beak-like mouth at the tip.
I was also thinking of Papua New Guinea, they’re also found in the Christmas Islands so it may not actually be a Hawaiian and if it’s not from a Tank Break Down it’s likely to be from Papua New Guinea or Marquesas.

I don’t believe there is any difference between the other populations outside of Hawaii. Generally long snouted specimens are True Blacks whilst short snouted specimens are Hybrids with the Scopas as they cross over origins quite a lot. The other thing with the Hybrids is that not all of them are obvious and some of them hide as ‘true’ blacks.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some quick updates:

Picked a frag of this up... Stunner...

FD35833B-58E9-41CA-B303-255F8E06664B.jpeg

QT Tanks Painted. 2 for Coral, 1 for fish...

BF84B992-3C02-40DD-88B2-11376E2607DB.jpeg

Realized I needed additional bracing for the shelves - added in here...

08C0466B-AD63-4D85-B778-B9E993FD28E4.jpeg

Finished product. Introducing "The Lab"

F55B814C-FC51-4202-855B-0694B1493AA1.jpeg

Finally picked up water storage tanks.... Now need to build my RODI so I can stop paying $1.50 a gallon at the LFS...

6E6E5EF7-7D31-450D-97F7-7EF9D1BF884A.jpeg

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back