Natural light bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tanooki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tanooki

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2025
Messages
11
Reaction score
28
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here going through the ugly stage with some gross diatom blooms. Today I was watching the tank and noticed a big splash of natural light on my tank. While it looked pretty I wondered if it was contributing to my ever lingering ugly stage. Do you think I should put some blinds on this window or am I overthinking it? I read that natural light will “brown out” corals.


20251228_084407_4CA866CA-1F41-4D6A-A9DB-F6A2CA30DE8E.png

20251228_084410_88F52D3F-02B7-4CDB-A17F-535B22CC91F6.png
 
Natural light does not brown out corals. They look more brown in a natural light but that is only when the light hits them and it does not have the deep blue to make them pop. It could cause a algae growth from the added lighting. We have an lfs that is set up in a green house here and uses natural lighting as much as possible but being in Michigan they still need to supplement with lighting fixtures. As long as you deal with the algae or have cuc that will it wont be an issue.
 
New reefer here going through the ugly stage with some gross diatom blooms. Today I was watching the tank and noticed a big splash of natural light on my tank. While it looked pretty I wondered if it was contributing to my ever lingering ugly stage. Do you think I should put some blinds on this window or am I overthinking it? I read that natural light will “brown out” corals.


20251228_084407_4CA866CA-1F41-4D6A-A9DB-F6A2CA30DE8E.png

20251228_084410_88F52D3F-02B7-4CDB-A17F-535B22CC91F6.png
Natural light is a plus and minus. In my case it is higher intensity than orphek led. I think it promotes faster growth of all things photosynthetic, corals and algae. Cuc can handle the algae, once you help it get to a managable level.
 
That would not concern me. All my tanks receive sunlight for brief periods during the day. Two of the tanks are next to windows.
 
Same, mine gets light for a few hours during the day. Par is super high but coral handles it fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new