Need advice for sps dominant tank

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I having an 82 gal vs 24 gal sump. I’m planning to have a sps dominant tank, so I need advice for light, powerhead,dosing. Should I full LED or hydrid. If LED, I would like to run 3 xr15. If I run hydrid, how many LED should I need to run. My tank dimension is 36 length, 22 width, 24 height and I will set my light above water surface 8 in. Please give me some good advice for my sps dominant tank. Thanks and really appreciate your commments

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the three XR15's. That should be plenty.
As for flow, an MP40 or 2 would definitely get the job done

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the three XR15's. That should be plenty.
As for flow, an MP40 or 2 would definitely get the job done
I bought 2 maxpect gyre 250 for my tank. Is it ok for the flow. Do you think I should run rx 30 or 15. Does rx 15 strong enough for sps and do you think I run hyrid or LED only??

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Alantik g4. How is it compare to rx15. Which is the best for sps?
Each has their pros and cons. I think either would be just fine. I'm also not sure there is a "best" for just about anything reef related.
LED's have been proven time and again to grow SPS with great success. So have T5. The issue I have with T5 is the inability to get that "Pop" without supplemental lighting usually from LED.
Many of the colors we all see advertised on various high end SPS just won't be attainable with anything other than at least LED suppliment.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each has their pros and cons. I think either would be just fine. I'm also not sure there is a "best" for just about anything reef related.
LED's have been proven time and again to grow SPS with great success. So have T5. The issue I have with T5 is the inability to get that "Pop" without supplemental lighting usually from LED.
Many of the colors we all see advertised on various high end SPS just won't be attainable with anything other than at least LED suppliment.
Good to know that information. Then I would go hydrid with 4 T5 bulb and 2 rx 15

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a t5 fixture with a reefbrite led strip for the POP. Which is for you. The T5’s are for the corals.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ati with reefbrite strips is always my vote for sps tanks. Sure some people have great success with led but I think t5 tanks look better and remove a variable ;Wacky

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 30 years of reefing using all combos now came to my final on my 125 g 2 ai sols 2 t5 and 3 250 w metal halide all running at there own timing sols are main light as sun up and sun set t 5 as softning metal halide run 4 hours a day as high noon lightning and for growth 70% sps and combo of other coral . The growth and color are truly amazing and when mh are running reef looks like a true real reef . As a side note do have a chiller but only runs a hour or less a day .

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 30 years of reefing using all combos now came to my final on my 125 g 2 ai sols 2 t5 and 3 250 w metal halide all running at there own timing sols are main light as sun up and sun set t 5 as softning metal halide run 4 hours a day as high noon lightning and for growth 70% sps and combo of other coral . The growth and color are truly amazing and when mh are running reef looks like a true real reef . As a side note do have a chiller but only runs a hour or less a day .
Combo T5 and metal halide seem to be an old school style , but few people recommended me for using that combo also. However, those light release too much heat tho

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie who started my tank about 9 months ago. I've had all the usual issues except one: issues or concerns about lighting. I use a the ATI led powermodule. 4x80watt t5, 4 x 75 watt led clusters. I programmed it on the day I got it (mostly using the default settings), got the height right, haven't touched it since. All my SPS are basing out and growing up and full of colour.

There are many factors to successfully keeping SPS and lighting is just one. Having read so many stories about problems with bleaching, burning, browning and death and people having to muck around with their LEDs, to me, T5 is a great beginners choice because you can switch them on and they will work. Guaranteed. .

Supplemental LED light is nice and adds some power and pop. But I leave that at about 60% power max. Basically that means I can adjust the colour and spectrum to what is pleasing to my eyes and know that it isn't going to cause any detrimental effects.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about 4 t5 and 2 kessils 360we or the newer version kessil. The shimmer is nicer than x15’s imo.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an older pic, the cyano is gone and I have several acros on racks getting ready to go on the rocks... but it's the most recent FTS I have with all the lights on.

This is a 36x24x24" 90g SCA cube. Almost the same as your tank. I'm having good success with 3 Kessil A160WE and a 36" Aquatic Life hybrid fixture with 4 ATI True Actinic bulbs. The Kessils run at 100% for 12 hours. The first 6ish hours are at 50% color with the T5, the second 6ish hours are at 0% color.

If I had the money, there would be 3 brand new A360Xs up there... which is what I would suggest you do.

20181031_212757.jpg

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combo T5 and metal halide seem to be an old school style , but few people recommended me for using that combo also. However, those light release too much heat tho
Yes it's old school believe or not metal halide making a come back seeing more n more people going back and doing all kinds of combos yes they do generate alot of heat but even 10" off the water 3 250w over my 125 my chiller in the summer kicks on no more than a hour in a 4 hour burn . Now that is colder chiller never kicks on . When I had t5 with led never had the growth I do now nothing even close . But like I said what works for me might not work for everyone. If you have a smaller tank or no deep can get away from 250 goto 175 or 150 w.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back